Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Its the last day of the month....

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    LOL, internet tests are good enough in my book. Hell, the only thing I learned in school was that I wasted 12 years of my life. Its funny and ridiculous at the same time. I didn't go to college and a bunch of my friends did and now I make more money than they do and don't have a crushing school loan debt. Oh well.
    "want fries with that?" comes to mind

I don't make much money, but I'm not a slave to debt any more either...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    <-- beat that dead horse.

sorry dub and jo, you know i love you two, but damn the arguing gets old.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yer right Jack..the arguing serves no purpose.

I happily on that score.

But I firmly stand behind the sentiment and intent of the original post here......
    ...and would/will do the very same if a similar large monthly shortfall
    in donations occurs.

jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 10/01/2011 at 10:16 PM
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    I just know that ive heard the same response from scott each time this subject arises. That-

No one is obligated to donate to the site, scott will happily continue to do whatever is needed to keep this site up and running.

Of course any donation is appreciated, but certainly not expected.

Each member of the site should feel free to participate in donation or not.

And yes, Im aware that the donations DO help scott, which im sure he appreciates, but not necessary and no one should be haggled.

Thanks for the friendly reminder for everyone, but it should remain at that, friendly reminder for the masses.

(sometimes it just feels like this subject is like arguing politics or religion )

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    And THERE it is folks...

Than-KEW VERY much...
    self-aggrandizing

"want fries with that?" comes to mind

I don't make much money, but I'm not a slave to debt any more either...
    LOL, no. None of them work at McDonalds. Although, McDonalds actually pays well where I live.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Not me man...I just barely got a HS diplo...thank goodness for shop classes...
    And he still has all of his fingers.. At least time I looked
    Scott / moncha.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    I just know that ive heard the same response from scott each time this subject arises. That-

No one is obligated to donate to the site, scott will happily continue to do whatever is needed to keep this site up and running.

Of course any donation is appreciated, but certainly not expected.

Each member of the site should feel free to participate in donation or not.

And yes, Im aware that the donations DO help scott, which im sure he appreciates, but not necessary and no one should be haggled.

Thanks for the friendly reminder for everyone, but it should remain at that, friendly reminder for the masses.

(sometimes it just feels like this subject is like arguing politics or religion )
    Well said Jack, you last line is why I stay out of the subject... Too that, I have no opinion

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    self-ag·gran·dize
    ? ?[self-uh-gran-diz, self-] Show IPA

noun

increase of one's own power, wealth, etc., usually aggressively

==========

I am at a loss to fathom how my own power is bolstered..
    ...and giving $20 hardly increases my wealth.
    As for aggressively......OH PUH-LEASE.......a list of those that benefit from,
    but don't donate $20 to this site....would be aggressive

This is a kid gloved 'nudge'...and frankly those that feel their posting input
    (or other warped rationale ) somehow excuses them from an actual
    monetary donation, are in reality, the ones afflicted with a large dose
    of self aggrandizement

Lets face it,...at anywhere between 10-18 MPG, and given the costs involved/gas mileage etc......

......nobody that owns a VX should begrudge a mere $20 to help maintain this awesome site.

Jo

Well I have to say, those were some convenient (for you) definitions you chose to list. There are others though:

noun. - The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation. (But again...it's not like anyone has ever actually been counting...right? )

And some that even include the entire description with nothing deleted:

noun - the act of making oneself more powerful, wealthy, etc., esp. in a ruthless way

Now while I'm sure we'd all acknowledge that the "ruthless" part would be something of an exaggeration, given past comments, SOME of you could admittedly be considered well on you way.

As far as those that benefit from this site, why is it that things like my suggestion a long time ago for a pro-rated system based on site usage, and the link I provided last time listing Total site Post Count by Member never seem to be found worthy of further discussion? Some people these days seem to get so upset at the idea of subsidies for high quantity users, but I guess some types of subsidies are OK?

And the "kid-gloved" part is simply your opinion...and frankly...is exactly the kind of feigned ignorance I was referring to. You obviously remembered from the most recent thread of this type that I'd stated my donations to this site took the form of devoting my time, knowledge, and effort to helping other site members troubleshoot problems they're experiencing (helping them to save $$$), so do you really expect anyone to believe you bringing that very thing up in this thread was a coincidence?

Downplay it all you like, but as it's apparent that my contributions will never be enough to satisfy you and some others given the stances you've taken, there ARE those who've been appreciative of my time, knowledge, and efforts, and feigning ignorance of those things remains as transparent as it always has. Warped rationales go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    Well said Jack, you last line is why I stay out of the subject... Too that, I have no opinion
    I agree that it was well said too.

And as I've also said before, I've never seen it posted anywhere on this site that making monetary donations entitles a donating member to adopt an unfriendly manner with no possibility of consequence. So, just as all members are entitled to start these types of threads and make the types of unfriendly comments sometimes seen within, so are all members entitled to respond in kind (pun intended ).

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Well, at least you're finally admitting that your comments are insults.

Yes I am serious. I can't help it that your selective memory is preventing you from recalling all the threads similar to this one in the past. Talk about twist and spin.

And this is what you consider dancing? I've changed my mind. I think I will decline this one as all you seem interested in doing is going out of your way to deliberately step on my toes...as usual.

Have a nice evening and enjoy the "dance".
    I think I hear it coming...
    Well I have to say, those were some convenient (for you) definitions you chose to list. There are others though:

noun. - The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation. (But again...it's not like anyone has ever actually been counting...right? )

And some that even include the entire description with nothing deleted:

noun - the act of making oneself more powerful, wealthy, etc., esp. in a ruthless way

Now while I'm sure we'd all acknowledge that the "ruthless" part would be something of an exaggeration, given past comments, SOME of you could admittedly be considered well on you way.

As far as those that benefit from this site, why is it that things like my suggestion a long time ago for a pro-rated system based on site usage, and the link I provided last time listing Total site Post Count by Member never seem to be found worthy of further discussion? Some people these days seem to get so upset at the idea of subsidies for high quantity users, but I guess some types of subsidies are OK?

How'd ya like to make a little wager... You a bett'n man?
    How bout I'll bet my donations are directly in line with my post count, you bet against me, loser kicks in a C-note.

And the "kid-gloved" part is simply your opinion...and frankly...is exactly the kind of feigned ignorance I was referring to. You obviously remembered from the most recent thread of this type that I'd stated my donations to this site took the form of devoting my time, knowledge, and effort to helping other site members troubleshoot problems they're experiencing (helping them to save $$$), so do you really expect anyone to believe you bringing that very thing up in this thread was a coincidence?

Downplay it all you like, but as it's apparent that my contributions will never be enough to satisfy you and some others given the stances you've taken, there ARE those who've been appreciative of my time, knowledge, and efforts, and feigning ignorance of those things remains as transparent as it always has. Warped rationales go both ways.
    I think I finally got it...when others donate cold hard ca$h, it's self aggrandizing...when you go on about what a font of wisdom you are,(even though we all know you don't like to "toot your own horn") it's a donation...
    I think I just had a light bulb moment...

And speaking of "feigned ignorance"...

If you've been paying even the slightest attention to the realities of cause & effect, you would have already noticed that when you stir the pot, a lotta times you'll "get some on ya"...

Lightbulb

Ya know what?

I just had another "light bulb moment"...

Nobody, not ONCE, has ever ever ever ever ever even slightly made any mention of you in one of these posts...not once.
    You may have been quoted or replied to, but until you voice your opinion, you're never in any way even made mention of.

So HOW did this become ALL ABOUT YOU?...sheesh, tell me more about that self aggrandizement stuff....

End Trek's Site Support Terrorism

Can we charge Trek in a pro-rated fashion for having the most posts in threads pertaining to site support? He obviously somehow considers what he says in these threads "a contribution to the site", just as he does in attempts to help someone troubleshoot problems. So help him contribute here where it is really needed - funding. However, he tries to say those who are the most pro-active in reminding folks of the need to donate to the site are also those who first threw stones. "He started it, Mom!" Folks, we are talking 5 years ago!!!!!!! Who gives a shoe?! What Trek fails to acknowledge (hopefully) is his constant "do-gooder deeds" in these threads only go toward disuading non-donating members from donating! And what gets my goat is he finds pride in doing so while placing himself atop a pedestal for it!! These threads only go this direction because of YOU, Trek. You need to realize that you have been talking to TWO people in this thread - Jo and Dub - and yet you are recklessly lumping together a group of phantom VXers who have said nothing here.

To that end, you are also helping no-one by religiously calling the kettle black! Just in this thread:

"It's obvious that, even after so many similar discussions on the subject, some of you still aren't self-aware enough to even realize when you're doing what you say you're not doing." BLACK POT!

"It's no wonder human progress occurs so slowly." BLACK POT!

"Something else you all might want to look up is "self-fulfilling prophecy". Some of you know full well what posting the same old types of comments in these threads will result in, yet you do it anyway and then feign ignorance." BLACK POT!

"An apparent need for drama is an all-to-common affliction these days." BLACK POT!

"I think I will decline this one as all you seem interested in doing is going out of your way to deliberately step on my toes...as usual." BLACK POT!

"The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation. (But again...it's not like anyone has ever actually been counting...right? )" BLACK POT!

Jack said it perfectly, without bias nor ego. Yet, realize this; Jo and Dub are good friends and they typically talk amongst themselves here in an open forum while consuming fun beverages. They both have HUGE personalities that come across in their posts. Guys, you know I love you both. If reminders are going to be given do what you need to do to support that cause at it's fullest. The fun banter amongst friends gets lost on those hell-bent on announcing their spiteful resentments toward what you just said or have said 5 YEARS AGO!! This goes against the overal goal of the original post.

I never gave it any additional thought as, in most of these types of threads, I don't read them because I know the end results. Same as the political, religious and any other thread that brings other's opinions out of the woodwork. I have no time nor interest for reading what always turns out to be the same bla, bla, bla...

Even though you will not see me ask for donations outside of the Monthly Goal meter and the link to the Donations page, I will not stop someone from posting if they so choose. Unless I'm a complete dolt, I've not seen where any posting was made pointing out specific people for not making a donation nor their equality on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    ....and , the site support donations are way off.

No pressure..just say'in....

Not looking to debate or validate one view or another.

Jo

(No edits)

the above quote doesn't say anything specific outside of the level of donations is low. It does however, state there is no desire to take the thread to it's usual demise. Why it has to go down these paths, I cannot figure.

It is ok, that you prefer to donate your time and knowledge rather than money. The late great Ben Franklin said, Time is Money... I understand that as I weed through the site, trying to keep it clean and somewhat organized and updated.

I'm sorry if I did not know that you helped someone else, so that I may bring the proper recognition that you deserve. However, you do realize, in most cases, repeat donators (Supporters) do not get any recognition either, as the system only lists those that create a new "Subscription" unless overridden manually by me.

I will vouch that we have high volume users who "subsidize" the site outside of regular "subscription" donations and do so without quibble and never ask for recognition. There are even some who donate in others' names and wish to remain anonymous. The generosity (financial, knowledge, manual labor and skills) of members on this site by far exceeds anything I have ever seen.

I've played with different levels and types of "membership" but when it boils down to the gravy, it's just not worth it. It only leads to confusion and angst. We have enough of already.

As a presently employed detective, I deal with peoples perceptions on a daily basis. To see well intentioned posts always turn into this mess because of perception kills me. It makes me feel the site is nothing more than a cheap whore and I have to ask myself, is it worth it anymore?

As we approach out 10th year of existence, I will be pondering lots of thing regarding the site and the previous question will be on the top of the list.

Being the admin, I can only thank EVERYONE for being part of this family, for your support no matter the type and that I hope that in some way, this site has brought some sort of enjoyment to your life.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    And he still has all of his fingers.. At least, last time I looked
    And toes too...