Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Its the last day of the month....

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    No like = no click...
    Just trying to get everyone to get along. I think I will fail. LOL!
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Yea, this thread has taken a few rough turns!

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    I know I'm relatively new here, but this thread is extremely depressing. This is the first time I have ever seen a thread like this on any car enthusiast forum I have ever been on, and I have been on tons of em'. Can we all just please talk about VX's? Pretty please!
    The thing is, in order to "just please talk about VX's?"...

...we need this site, and this site has to be funded .

Its obviously your choice to contribiute , or not...
    ...just as a reminder that funds are required, is my choice

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    Just trying to get everyone to get along. I think I will fail. LOL!
    Yeh, no offence meant...

Wait'll the 2012 election if you wanna see a thread to avoid...

Quote Originally Posted by mindaugas View Post
    You guys focused on the free offer but I was also offering a normal account. You don't even have to choose my company, ANY other host out there is going to be less than $300.

What sort of development and server costs are going on to warrant this monthly cost? The site is using dead software and the original theme. So all the cost must be in the server itself, and $300 a month is a hell of a nice dedicated server.
    Yes, there are "Cheaper" servers and hosting available. I've dealt with a bunch of those and we had problems with lots of outages and even loss of data. It's kind of like doctors, mechanics and barbers, just because you like them doesn't mean they work well for everyone.

I researched and came up with a good solid solution. It is a nice "True" dedicated server, our very own box, not shared by anyone, the owner even upgraded our box to a better one from our original due to the length time we've been a client. We're running a dual Xenon, 64 bit, 8GB ram, 600GB raid 5 with a 100Mb Pipe and a TB of bandwidth. Overkill? Yep but I would have it that rather than what we have put up with in the past. The company has been great to work with and the uptime proves it. Unlike other sites that throttle their members, we don't.

The software has been maintained at this version due to it's stability and security. Not that I am not working on upgrading to a newer version but, it seems as soon as I'm ready to release, another update gets put out. I will not put out something that has critical flaws and risk jeopardizing our data.

If you are looking for new features they will be coming soon. In a way, If it aint broke..... Geeez, I feel like I'm on trial here...
    Scott / moncha.com

Yeh, no offence meant...

oh boy, i try to avoid anything about politics.

Smile classic? yes may I have another?

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    So some will still make comments like this, even after it's been explained so many times, then still imply that it's others who still just don't "get it".

Classic.

That "joy" part was a nice touch too.
    Quoted from Merriam-Webster:

clas·sic adj \?kla-sik\

Definition of CLASSIC
    -serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value <classic literary works>
    -traditional, enduring <classic designs>
    -historically memorable <a classic battle>
    -authentic, authoritative

Wow, thanks for the compliment :-)

I did not imply that anyone "did not get it", I stated very plainly that some of us don't mind paying the bills around here, and encouraging others to join us in the pleasure of supporting and enabling this site to exist. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. A service is being provided and some pay for it. I would hate to see how you interact with a toll booth operator, or a girl scout selling cookies, or someone raising money for any cause really.

But my "classic" opinion is the one that keeps this site running, and if everyone in your words "did not get it" like you, then this site would not exist. But thanks for saying that being a Site Supporter is "classic", I tend to agree and I think that it is this "classic" mindset that has kept many organizations going and I think this mindset has a few classic slogans:
    -there's no such thing as a free lunch
    -someone has to keep the lights on in this place
    -no free rides in life
    -there is a price for everything
    -you don't get something for nothing

This really is just an economical issue: (quote from Wikipedia)
    "No free lunch demonstrates opportunity cost. Greg Mankiw described the concept as: "To get one thing that we like, we usually have to give up another thing that we like. Making decisions requires trading off one goal against another." The idea that there is no free lunch at the societal level applies only when all resources are being used completely and appropriately, i.e., when economic efficiency prevails. If not, a 'free lunch' can be had through a more efficient utilization of resources. If one individual or group gets something at no cost, somebody else ends up paying for it. If there appears to be no direct cost to any single individual, there is a social cost. Similarly, someone can benefit for "free" from an externality or from a public good, but someone has to pay the cost of producing these benefits."

Or this could be seen as a scientific issue: (quote from wikipedia)
    "In the sciences, no free lunch means that the universe as a whole is ultimately a closed system—there is no magic source of matter, energy, light, or indeed lunch, that does not draw resources from something else, and will not eventually be exhausted. Therefore the no free lunch argument may also be applied to natural physical processes in a closed system (either the universe as a whole, or any system that does not receive energy or matter from outside). (See Second law of thermodynamics.) The bio-ecologist Barry Commoner used this concept as the last of his famous "Four Laws of Ecology"."

But regardless, whatever way you look at it, yes classic indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I researched and came up with a good solid solution. It is a nice "True" dedicated server, our very own box, not shared by anyone, the owner even upgraded our box to a better one from our original due to the length time we've been a client. We're running a dual Xenon, 64 bit, 8GB ram, 600GB raid 5 with a 100Mb Pipe and a TB of bandwidth. Overkill? Yep but I would have it that rather than what we have put up with in the past. The company has been great to work with and the uptime proves it. Unlike other sites that throttle their members, we don't.

The software has been maintained at this version due to it's stability and security. Not that I am not working on upgrading to a newer version but, it seems as soon as I'm ready to release, another update gets put out. I will not put out something that has critical flaws and risk jeopardizing our data.

If you are looking for new features they will be coming soon. In a way, If it aint broke..... Geeez, I feel like I'm on trial here...
    Good GAWD! Isn't it just plain time to STOP this? When Scott, the guy that gives us the ability to have this cool site, feels like he's on trial!
    Sad, embarrassing and really depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Even if Scott is hosting the site on his brother's cousin's nephew's best friend's server for free, $3600 a year is a pittance for the admin service he provides. Somebody has to pay the hosting bill, perform basic site maintenance, etc etc etc.
    I agree totally, and many others do as well......and some don't and that's just the way it is, and that's fine too!

Quote Originally Posted by mindaugas View Post
    You guys focused on the free offer but I was also offering a normal account. You don't even have to choose my company, ANY other host out there is going to be less than $300.

What sort of development and server costs are going on to warrant this monthly cost? The site is using dead software and the original theme. So all the cost must be in the server itself, and $300 a month is a hell of a nice dedicated server.
    WHO CARES? And if WE feel like sticking around here even though it's got "dead software", etc.... then that's all well and good, nobody's got a gun to your head or your wallet! And surely you can't give a rat's butt about how I blow MY MONEY!
    And I would never be so rude as to question the "target" monthly goal. It's not mandatory to contribute, and Scott's said that in about a 1000 different posts. If somebody doesn't agree with that amount or the way the site is run, then they can always make their own decision to stay or leave, and it's totally regardless of donor status.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    So some will still make comments like this, even after it's been explained so many times, then still imply that it's others who still just don't "get it".

Classic.

That "joy" part was a nice touch too.

Yes, TREK, we've read and re-read your explanation(s) many times in this thread. We've certainly "heard" your point as well as those of the other posters.

And isn't it really time to lock this thread now?
    Sure I can just stop clicking on this thread and stop reading it, but I guess the eternal optimist in me is just trying to prevent hard feelings and such from developing, just like H3 was trying.

Leave it be, nobody here is going to change anybody else's mind....so why not just skip the repetition ad nauseam and hard feelings? We all know there are far funner things in life to expend our energy on.....

Let's just focus on the fun stuff and the VX we all love so much!.....it's way more enjoyable!

OK, flame away....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    hahaha so true!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post

When is something not 'broke' scott?

I feel like Moab really took a toll on my Runner this previous year... As I dig deaper and deaper, i keep finding broken parts lol.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Thumbs up

...Hmmmmmmm...sounds like YOU "get it"....
    sounds like you don't

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Good GAWD! Isn't it just plain time to STOP this?
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    isn't it really time to lock this thread now?
    yes lock it quick no one should be allowed to disagree with you

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VXR View Post

sounds like you don't

Living life as a "trek toadie" agrees with you...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    OMG ..

Those of you who think you put more in here than you get out..

.....more power to you.

Kudos ......

But , having listened to the arguments...
    ... I dont have to "get it"..I never will...no matter how many times its "EXPLAINED"

We enjoy this SITE..because "folks contribute"..

How many of you feel you get more out of this site...

..than a mere $20 a year COULD EVER pay you back...

..I'm with ya!,,,Its THAT SIMPLE TO ME...

NUFF SAID !!...

I agree with L/Beast...I feel CLASSIC ...and embrace all of his definitions!

Jo.

So trying to stay quiet...not achieving that goal so much!
    I have saved many $'ss because of this site..

Last edited by JoFotoz : 10/15/2011 at 01:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    OMG ..

Those of you who think you put more in here than you get out..

.....more power to you.

Kudos to you....

But , having listened to the arguments...
    ... I dont have to "get it"..I never will...no matter how many times its "EXPLAINED"

We enjoy this SITE..because "folks contribute"..

How many of you feel you get more out of this site...

..than a mere $20 a year COULD EVER pay you back...

..I'm with ya!,,,Its THAT SIMPLE TO ME...

NUFF SAID !!

Jo
    Well NOW we understand thank YOU

AWESOME.....you're very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by VXR View Post
    Well NOW we understand thank YOU
    ..and, if you ( we (sic) ) now understand,..

..I take it you are in???...yes?

jo

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    AWESOME.....you're very welcome.

..and, if you ( we (sic) ) now understand,..

..I take it you are in???...yes?

jo
    for this???

no thanks...

So..by all means base your "no thanks" on a (super) Fun photo...

..after hours of us helping others / and ME being helped..

...and a great time on the Stoop with all who came.

So be it.....in or not...it's your choice.

jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 10/15/2011 at 01:26 AM