Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Wrench Custom Bumper Project

Well, I guess I am the first to attempt this project. As incentive, I removed the front cladding and vowed to not put it back on until I am done. I managed to remove the tube portion with no tools...in case you didn't know, that is bad. It was rusted completely through, good deal for me, I am using the tube brackets for my mount, so that is one less thing for me to cut. Turns out that there is someone in my area that does custom fab work for Isuzus, so I need to get with him. I want to design it myself, but he can help me with technical advice and whatnot. Anyone with any ideas, feel free to chime in. It will be a removable bumper using hitch pins, the frame will be 2.25" square tubing with 2" tubing inserts for the removal portion. It will also have an integrated hitch. My thought process is the look of a stealth bomber, angled in the front, overall shape of the cladding, but higher up to increase approach angle. I will make one out of cardboard this weekend and post it up to see what you guys think.
    Here is how my VX will look for the next month or so (I hope).

Here is what is left of my tube bumper:

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Are you planning a custom bumper that replaces the front cladding, or are you going to make it uniformly go around the front cladding?

You're not going to drive around like that, are you?

Bart

If you are planning on hacking up your front cladding, I have a front cladding with a chip in the lower wheel well, I would love to trade :_drool:
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

the extra text can not be edited??????
    It does not show to delete and was never typed

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Are you planning a custom bumper that replaces the front cladding, or are you going to make it uniformly go around the front cladding?

You're not going to drive around like that, are you?

Bart
    The front cladding will be gone. The new bumper will replace all that useless plastic. That way I can sell the front cladding, and hopefully pay for a chunk of my project. And yes, I am driving around like that, that is my incentive to get it done. (And I am too lazy to put it back on and back off and back on and back off......)

I call Dibbs on your cladding if you sell it!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    well marlin...i guess billy and i wont be the only ones with some body armor in moab next year huh??

are you designing it like "RoadArmor" brand stuff?? (sorry cant post link because im at work)
    by the stealthy comment i think thats what you are talking about..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Thumbs up

I can't wait. Your projects always come out first class.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Hmmm, interesting. In the meantime, paint that middle cladding support in front of the radiator Bright Red and make it look like a "tongue" sticking out!!! LOL

id be careful about driving around like that.. theres pretty much no protection in the front now, so any front impact is gonna completely destroy your radiator, and probably your AC... also are you planning on rigging up some sort of front turn signal? if nothing else id try to find a replacement for that rusted tube so you have some sort of bumper there

but good luck on the project i am looking forward to how that turns out

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Here is what is left of my tube bumper:
    Yep.... I know that is exactly what mine looks like to, but it is still attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. In the meantime, paint that middle cladding support in front of the radiator Bright Red and make it look like a "tongue" sticking out!!! LOL
    LOL, that may be a possibility. Let me think about it.
    As far as no bumper, I would guess that most of you do not have a functional bumper anymore, and just do not know it. I knew mine was rusted, but I had no idea that it was that bad until I started manhandling it.
    No turning signals=no problem, I drive 5 miles to work, each way, with only 3 turns. I don't drive it too often anywhere else, so no worries there.
    I hope this project only takes a few weeks.

Roadarmor sounds cool, if this project comes out nice, I may sell this as a bolt on type kit, and I will call it Marlin Scale...pretty weak, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicool View Post
    I call Dibbs on your cladding if you sell it!
    I was thinking that I asked about the front cladding first?

Well, I won't be trading the cladding, I will be selling it, and being that it is one of the most desirable pieces, and mine is great shape, just minor scuffs, I will have to send it to the highest offer....once I am ready.
    My VX looks to be turning more into a trail rig, that is still street usable. SO more cladding my come off and be replaced with steel and whatnot. This may be the beginning...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    The front cladding will be gone. The new bumper will replace all that useless plastic. That way I can sell the front cladding, and hopefully pay for a chunk of my project. And yes, I am driving around like that, that is my incentive to get it done. (And I am too lazy to put it back on and back off and back on and back off......)
    Useless? The aesthetically pleasing parts of the VX are never useless!! Isn't that why we all have VXes??

So, are you going to "replicate" the shape of the front cladding using tubing and sheet metal? I always wondered about a VX with "metal" cladding. I think it would be nearly impossible (read way to expensive) to have metal cladding in the same nice round shapes, but maybe a little more angular with accessories hidden beneath (winch, lights, hooks, etc) but the same basic shape would be an interesting goal.

Bart