Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    So, how well does that tail pipe jack work if you are in a situation where you can not run your engine?

I used to work on those guided projectiles that make those great displays of landingmanship!
    This was one of my babies...

Well, would think you wouldn't be off roading alone, I sure wouldn't be so would use my mates tailpipe.

This is the wonderful one eleven (F-111) I worked on 18 of my 22 years in the Air Force. D's at Cannon, E's at RAF Upper Heyford, and the F's at RAF Lakenheath. Also a few transit A's and FB's from SAC but never a C from Australia

Use to think Air Force pilots were Sierra Hotel (which they are) until I started watching the Military Channel. Naval aviators do have some 'serious attachment's' as David Hobbs would say on Formula 1 coverage on the speed channel.

They are, daring young men in their flying machines

Now back to our normally televised thread, Marlin's custom bumper project
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Na, just entertaining ourselves while we wait for the next update!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Alright, update, after mowing the lawn and cleaning up all the fireworks and beer cans from last night, I spent a little while with my baby.
    Number 1, the spare tire mount is still solid, I took my oldest out mudding and a little baja for fun. Had the VX airborne a few times, the mount didn't move.

On to the bumper, number 2, the Twincutter is awesome!!
    I cut through 2" diameter, 1/8" wall thickness steel in seconds, very little kickback, very smooth cut.
    Cons: metal chips everywhere, but the cut is smooth, and all the cuts are "freehand" since there is no deck to use, but if you are careful, yo uget great cuts in any direction. Another con is that it seems to get hot pretty quick. I would never use this on wood, a circular saw would be much better. But for steel, it crushes my sawzall and my jigsaw.

Here is all I got done, but it took a bit, metal work is no joke. The tubing that is mounted is via one bolt that held the factory bumper on. I will leave the one bolt and weld a bead when I get into the shop. The 2 1/4" tubing will slide over the tubing shown, and hitch pins will hold the two together. It is a SNUG fit, so not worried about vibration or anything like that. As I said, these two types of tubing are the same used for fifth wheel landing gear and slideout support struts on RVs.

Now, back to your previous entertainments, as far as pilots being Sierra-hotel, they are, **** Heads.

Last edited by Marlin : 07/05/2009 at 08:17 AM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

that gives me an idea on missle tubes placements..for a project...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    that gives me an idea on missle tubes placements..for a project...
    Did you read the license plate thread....you gotta be careful what you say on here, FBI may be sittin outside your house tomorrow....

Real progress

I got the sleeves cut and drilled and mounted, 70K lb tensile strength. I can pull a semi with this bumper when I am done!!!!!!!!!!! May be a bit overkill. Anyway, I cut the two crossbars, put the 45s on one, cut the receiver tube, here are some pics with it ziptied together, next stop, welder, its ready to weld, gotta pick up some 1/16" thick aluminum for the panels, almost done...I can taste it. now I have to decide to paint it myself, or fork over the bucks for powdercoat? That isn't gonna be cheap.
    I talked to my father about the project, business is slow at his company, so he said If I send him measurements and pics, they can fab up the bumper, welded, powdercoated and shipped for probably around $1K. He won't make less than 5 at a time though, and would need a deposit. I will post all the pics of mine when I am done, and if there are others interested, we may be able to get something done.

its starting to look like a down under RU-GUARD..

Marlin, maybe its the angle of the photos, but it looks like the lower section is going to stick out quite a bit. This is going to cause you to loose some approach angle. It looks like you could get it in closer to the frame ends if you reversed your tubes...put the bigger tube as your mount and have the bumper tube slide into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Marlin, maybe its the angle of the photos, but it looks like the lower section is going to stick out quite a bit. This is going to cause you to loose some approach angle. It looks like you could get it in closer to the frame ends if you reversed your tubes...put the bigger tube as your mount and have the bumper tube slide into that.
    Hmmmm, I think that you may be right. I may get rid of the bottom tube all together, and weld trusses in for the hitch receiver tube. Thanks for the input, as it is in the pictures, it is about the same height off the ground as the original cladding. Of course I will have sheet metal across the hole bottom, so I can just slide up any obstacle, but it would defeat the purpose of my project if I don't increase my approach angle.

Got my welder

I know I said before that Moab was my bday present, but I went and bought myself a little arc welder today for my 30th bday. Got a nice face shield, gloves, blankets and so on. Saturday morning I am gonna weld up my bumper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics to follow if I do not set myself on fire or my house.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    cant wait to see it!

my bumper project isnt going as well as yours

ran into some unexpected financial issues, we will see what i can come up with

yours is looking great though!

Be sure to plug into that reactor you take care of so you have plenty of juice

The moment you have all been waiting for!!!

Here you all go. I spent all day, I have a horrible welding sunburn Well worth it though. Stick welding is hard....I had a friend who used to do it for a living come over and help. I also got some big *** 1/2" forged D rings to bolt on tomorrow as well using 3/8 inch grade 8 carriage bolts. This thing is gonna be diesel. Bow down in envy everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope you all enjoy the pics, tomorrow I might start the sheet metal tomorrow, should be easier, but time consuming. I took Billy and Brian's advice and moved the hitch up. Now it won't be a shovel. It is crazy strong. I feel sorry if I hit someone head on.....

Thumbs up

Looks like a winner! I like it.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"