Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Riff, I got news for you, the reason MARLIN was successful was he was a mad man. Remember the scene in the movie '30 Seconds over Tokyo' where the swabbies were coming out to push the B25 over the side and Van Johnson wouldn't give up, yep, that's was our MARLIN.
    Not being there and only seeing pic's, Didn't Marlins VX arrive at Moab on a Trailer? If so you can sacrifice and pound it more knowing it will have a way home no matter what. But when you drive them door to door you have to be alittle cautious. Ldub we all know your the MAN! !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    Not being there and only seeing pic's, Didn't Marlins VX arrive at Moab on a Trailer? If so you can sacrifice and pound it more knowing it will have a way home no matter what. But when you drive them door to door you have to be alittle cautious. Ldub we all know your the MAN! !
    Thats true...as for Ldub not airing down, that is cause the only way he could fit those monster tires on the VX was to run reverse seat deep dish wheels, which often have flush valve stems on the inside of the face of the rim...a major PITA for airing down and up...I had similar wheels on my Toyota long ago. It took an adapter to air up and down(Not a crawler, they were street tires, back when 17"s were considered big wheels). Definitely sucked. That is why he did not air down. He may or may not be the man, regardless of which, his VX still looks sweet.
    As for me being crazy, nope, I very rarely spun tires, I think it was egg shell throttle control, and having never done it, I did what I thought was best vice doing what everyone else was doing.
    I started playing hockey when I was 19, I was able to play equally as well with both hands as my lead, that was because I was doing what I wanted, vice what everyone tried to tell me.
    Not sure if that makes sense, but that is the deal, oh and I pretended I was driving a Jeep.
    Last edited by Marlin : 08/05/2009 at 06:09 PM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I am surprised that I catch so much **** for this bumper being ugly, when as a group, people call our vehicles ugly on a daily basis? Wow, a whole lot of hypocrits.....I am kind of disappointed. And compared to what other aftermarket VX bumper is mine ugly? Oh yeah, I forgot, I am the only one

Marlin, Most of us bought the VX because we like the lines of the VX. Yeah, we modify it to some degree for off road performance, or on road style, but no one has really changed the lines of the VX. Most people haven't done the custom bumper on the VX because to do an offroad bumper that meshes with the style of the VX is very very complicated.

Personally, I do not like the look of a square bumper on a vehicle that has no square lines. Billy is getting his custom bumper made so that the top half is still the plastic bumper so it flows into the sheet metal. Your bumper seems to not have a complete plan on how it meshes with the VX lines, so people thinks it looks ugly since it is in a complete contrast with the vehicle.

I think all understand that this is your first attempt at real fabrication on this scale. You have been open to a lot of suggestions for improvement. All good stuff. You are making the bumper for yourself, so it isn't gonna be for all of us, including myself. Course I said I wouldn't get a custom bumper until JoeD makes a replica of ours out of steel. I bought the VX for its lines, and I want to perserve as much of that as possible. You are going for a more purpose built bumper which you will take flack for just because the VX is owned by LOVE it people.
    Last edited by VX1032 : 08/05/2009 at 06:53 PM
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

Marlin: Hat's off for taking on the Front bumper project,,as far as I know no one has went to the lengths you have for a total fab'd front bumper. There's been winches, pushbars etc. only a finished project will tell, and if it suits you who cares. Fabing a total front could look very off-roadish but can you imagine a VX without factory Rear bumper/cladding off I've had mine off, it isn't pretty. Remember if it doesn't suit you it can always be re-installed. Keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    As for me being crazy, nope, I very rarely spun tires, I think it was egg shell throttle control, .
    Chris, unlike VCrossfan, I WAS there, and your fangs were hanging out on again and again.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Not sure if that makes sense, but that is the deal, oh and I pretended I was driving a Jeep.

on the bumper:
    keep it coming, i think it can be done...and can look bad@$$...

dont worry my friend... i will be following shortly after, only with the rear of the VX instead of the front...
    even if everyone hates me for it- i will still do it, and be happy when my VX doesnt get tweaked from a fender bender...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    But when you drive them door to door you have to be alittle cautious.

What does that mean?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

It means, since you and Dub are a little cautious, you only laid it on it's side, instead of on it's lid!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

"I am surprised that I catch so much **** for this bumper being ugly"

Don't worry. Don't listen to them - they haven't even figured out how much offset is proper or where to mount their full sized spare.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "I am surprised that I catch so much **** for this bumper being ugly"

Don't worry. Don't listen to them - they haven't even figured out how much offset is proper or where to mount their full sized spare.
    LOL, I consider the rear door mount very functional, while in Moab, I lost a bracket on the crossbar for the rack. Luckily I saw it fy off in my peripheral. Imagine what 80lbs of wheel and tire would do to a car if it came off on the road?! Our roof crossbars can handle the weight, barely, but I don't think that includes while bouncing around and jumping and what not. Better safe than sorry. No more worries. As for offset, that is another thing, my offset is close to factory so I can fit bigger tires...but I don't mind it either way, my expy has a huge offset, the tires stick out about 4" from the wheel well.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    no updates??? cmon... you know you are our current entertainment at work right??

Quote Originally Posted by NJ99VX View Post
    Marlin, Most of us bought the VX because we like the lines of the VX. Yeah, we modify it to some degree for off road performance, or on road style, but no one has really changed the lines of the VX. Most people haven't done the custom bumper on the VX because to do an offroad bumper that meshes with the style of the VX is very very complicated.

Personally, I do not like the look of a square bumper on a vehicle that has no square lines. Billy is getting his custom bumper made so that the top half is still the plastic bumper so it flows into the sheet metal. Your bumper seems to not have a complete plan on how it meshes with the VX lines, so people thinks it looks ugly since it is in a complete contrast with the vehicle.

I think all understand that this is your first attempt at real fabrication on this scale. You have been open to a lot of suggestions for improvement. All good stuff. You are making the bumper for yourself, so it isn't gonna be for all of us, including myself. Course I said I wouldn't get a custom bumper until JoeD makes a replica of ours out of steel. I bought the VX for its lines, and I want to perserve as much of that as possible. You are going for a more purpose built bumper which you will take flack for just because the VX is owned by LOVE it people.
    Well said.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I am surprised that I catch so much **** for this bumper being ugly, when as a group, people call our vehicles ugly on a daily basis? Wow, a whole lot of hypocrits.....I am kind of disappointed. And compared to what other aftermarket VX bumper is mine ugly? Oh yeah, I forgot, I am the only one
    Uhhhh dude...a hypocrite is:
    a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

I think everyone here LIKES the way the VX looks...

I guess if that group of people you were referring to, that call the VX ugly, were to be secret admirers, that would make THEM hypocrites...

And you're right again, your bumper is most definitely beyond compare!
    Last edited by Ldub : 08/07/2009 at 02:55 AM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Thats true...as for Ldub not airing down, that is cause the only way he could fit those monster tires on the VX was to run reverse seat deep dish wheels, which often have flush valve stems on the inside of the face of the rim...a major PITA for airing down and up...
    Ya got it about half right...I'm not sure what a "reverse seat deep dish wheel" is, but mine are one inch wider than stock, & pretty close to stock offset...just four inches larger in diameter...

The reason I don't air down is primarily rim protection & secondarily because, as you mentioned, it's a PITA with those valve stems, which I chose on the basis of appearance, rather than necessity.
    Back when I bought the 20's, I was running street tires & had no intention of taking the she devil off road.
    Then the dirt bug bit, & the rest is history...