Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Defibrillator [U]STAT[/U]!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    A few thoughts...

Moncha..this sites originator, boss man and "keeper" has not been well at all..so his stewardship of this site has not been up to his usual excellence.
    He's doing his best given his situation.

I agree with Scott (Bartman).. the set up previous to the upgrades of this site, had a certain user friendly vibe .
    Now maybe this was simply due to being familiar with it... but I think maybe more than that..it had a certain ease of use.

And..while I agree wholeheartedly with the wealth of info etc available here... the facebook page often offers an advantage in terms
    of immediacy of reply...
    Which when you are part way through a Fix project , STUCK somewhere and looking for help , starting to order stuff, or simply pondering issues .. is an attractive feature.

Jo
    FB requires compromising personal information (eg. cell-phone number) just to even access the site & have the ability to communicate on it. Thanks, but no thanks. At least on a forum, I have a little more faith that my personal information isn't going to be used for nefarious purposes by the most pimply, undeserving billionaire on the planet. Oh, and I didn't have to give my cell # to join here.

And since the only people on this forum are all apparently subbed to this thread...does anyone know what types of isuzu clockspring will work with a JDM VX steering wheel? I'd really like to know, so I don't end up having to splice connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Seriously, I don't remember any arguments (with you recently) or participating in any OTHER "debates non-related to VX ownership" FOR YEARS. Between others, arguments cause me to "gloss over reading entire posts". I agree with your plea for civility/decorum and avoid confrontation. (I just disagreed with WHERE to post the suggestion). Furthermore, I agree needless confrontation is unproductive, lacks value, and tends to drive readers away.
    The "discussion" I was referring to regarding how the clique here at the time was labeling current and new members "freeloaders", "deadbeats", etc while simultaneously (and ironically) lobbying-for/promoting monetary site-donations occurred awhile back.

I had simply questioned how someone new to the site at the time asking for specific information about a VX being met with "Use the search function, that'll be $20" was as productive, welcoming, or conducive to recruiting new monetary and informational contributors to the site as they apparently believed it was. Of course, after having it pointed out like that, the members in question THEN started actually answering the questions WHILE suggesting the search function and asking for site donations, but that's not what was happening beforehand. And I understand how you may not remember participating at that time, but I wouldn't call jumping on the bandwagon to take a few pot shots at me because it was easy to do when so many others were doing it participating anyway, but I've learned to ignore it so no big deal, especially since it's been made obvious once again in this thread that it's somewhat knee-jerk with some people even though they weren't even here at the time.

But the push-back was simply another ironic part of that entire fiasco. There I was "pissing so many people off" by suggesting that name-calling by a mob-like group of forum members was not necessarily the best way of achieving the monetary site donation goal they were promoting...or...the appearance that the site was ACTUALLY as welcoming as some had convinced themselves that it was.....and yet it's obvious that at least one of the members who was practically living on the site and doing those things on a daily basis is STILL of the opinion they were doing nothing to be called out on as questionable.

So, when logic failed and it seemed as if $$$ was all that some understood, I tried approaching the matter from another objective and more democratic direction by suggesting that site donation could be pro-rated directly proportionally to site participation based on post count. After all, why would it be fair for someone who posted maybe once or twice a week to be expected to pay the same amount to participate on the site as someone who posted 10 or 20 times a DAY? When viewed that way, the once or twice a week poster would basically be subsidizing the habits of the 10 or 20 times a day poster. Well I'll give you three guesses as to how that suggestion was met with the main site dwellers....and the first two guesses don't count.

After that, it became a condescending free-for-all from the clique so what else could a reasonable person be expected to do except just sit back, ignore it, and let that kind of forum mentality take the site where it would....and the rest as they say...is history.

Not knowing what happened to the How-To information that used to be accessible on the site, it's impossible to comment on its fate, but the possibility that it's still archived somewhere would be best case scenario for those who may need such information.

Quote Originally Posted by ipd View Post
    And since the only people on this forum are all apparently subbed to this thread...does anyone know what types of isuzu clockspring will work with a JDM VX steering wheel? I'd really like to know, so I don't end up having to splice connectors.
    Wish I could help but I've never considered a JDM steering wheel so never had the need to research such information. Have you looked around for any Vehicross websites in Canada, Europe, Russia, etc for additional information? There used to be some fairly active sites in those parts of the world too where JDM items would have been more prevalent, so that would likely be your best bet for info anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    ...I understand how you may not remember participating at that time
    I think it's likely I didn't participate because I don't remember ANY of the explanation to which you refer. If someone pointed me to a post and said "Thanks. That'll be $20, I'd assume they were joking." OTOH, if it was something easy to find, I'd take the hint and look harder next time. (Ironically, that's what this site has turned into because of the low participation and difficulty finding older threads. UNLESS, that is, they fixed all the link problems! :-) ) In other words, I'm saying I look pretty hard now AND rarely ask questions OR for referals (to posts) because the odds of getting a reasonably quick response are so low.

If anything, mostly I answer a question/two here or there as someone knowing lots about cars.

It doesn't help ANY forum that Photobucket crapped on ALL their free members...resulting in killed links and missing pictures everywhere you turn (on the net). Talk about burning my chaps!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 89Vette For This Useful Post:

arcobarco (10/26/2017)

Sorry, I am still new to the VX myself. Today I learned how to remove the electrical connectors for the fuel injectors.
    --------
    VX Status: Running Great! Build is coming along nicely...

...I understand how you may not remember participating at that time
    I think it's likely I didn't participate because I don't remember ANY of the explanation to which you refer. If someone pointed me to a post and said "Thanks. That'll be $20, I'd assume they were joking." OTOH, if it was something easy to find, I'd take the hint and look harder next time.
    Easy to suggest based on theory, but as a lot of us know at this point, the VX has a lot of unique issues that a person would NEVER find unless they were ALREADY familiar with VX terminology. So a "the search function is your friend" coupled with a request for a site donation conjured at best a non-answer, chicken-or-the-egg scenario. Why you don't remember participating will simply remain a mystery then.

(Ironically, that's what this site has turned into because of the low participation and difficulty finding older threads. UNLESS, that is, they fixed all the link problems! :-) ) In other words, I'm saying I look pretty hard now AND rarely ask questions OR for referals (to posts) because the odds of getting a reasonably quick response are so low.

If anything, mostly I answer a question/two here or there as someone knowing lots about cars.

It doesn't help ANY forum that Photobucket crapped on ALL their free members...resulting in killed links and missing pictures everywhere you turn (on the net). Talk about burning my chaps!
    I've always been the same regarding offering assistance here, basing my answers on a combination of knowing about cars and the experience I've personally acquired working on my own VX. One would think that would have been enough on a vehicle related message board, but I found that never seemed to be enough here for SOME.

Cool Yeah...I think we talked about the broken links that started after the "upgrade".

Why you don't remember participating will simply remain a mystery then.
    I dunno....It seems like a demonstration of the power of links would be appropriate here! (Just in case you have me confused with someone else!)

Why you don't remember participating will simply remain a mystery then.
    I dunno....It seems like a demonstration of the power of links would be appropriate here! (Just in case you have me confused with someone else!)
    If only. As a result then, we'll simply have to focus on the basic jist of the comments you've provided in THIS thread.

Oh great. Instead of a thread to help boost site visits & pump energy back into the forum, it's devolved into an old-habits-die-hard argument.

If only. As a result then, we'll simply have to focus on the basic jist of the comments you've provided in THIS thread.
    Oh great. Instead of a thread to help boost site visits & pump energy back into the forum, it's devolved into an old-habits-die-hard argument.
    Thanks! That was my jist.

Just adding my two cents on what happened to this site......the change in format was jarring but it was something bigger, I think.
    At on point we had the option of adding advertising and we rejected it in favor of paying ourselves. This in my estimation was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. Had we gone with ads, the site would have remained mainstream instead of niche.
    The VX is a very different vehicle it needs mainstream interest to maintain its visibility and relevance to the world at large. Ads bring news value and in turn keep things from becoming stale. That's my advice....get "mainstream" get ads and VX.
    info will grow again. ( I still have my Astral but am driving ,in summer , my 911. I love Rennlist and they have adds and you still pay
    to have all features available to you. It's very mainstream there.)

How do ads make a site more mainstream? I don't understand. Maybe explain better? I apologize for being dense.

Are you talking about buying ads (for this forum) on other sites? Just to get people here, looking, and more interested in the vehicle...and prospective buyers? That doesn't sound like a bad thought...but would require MORE revenue from current scarce membership to draw interest. Maybe that's an option for the site-owner to "invest" hoping to get new traffic?

As it turns out, I am considering starting a YouTube channel called VX Overland. I have the channel, working on some artwork, have contacted a couple of graphic designers for logo production, but have not uploaded any video yet. Not just another car camping show, but I would also like to make trips to visit other VX owners and showcase different builds. Of course, I need to get my own VX running correctly first...

I kinda wish someone would offer up their "stock" vx for a test-ride with this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsq...JYTaEnf_vmTNqg