Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with some of what is said. I KNOW that my wheels are +12mm because when I ordered them I was shooting for +10mm since Daver had what I liked in stance. I'm also a stickler for re-checking part #'s on things I order to be sure I received what I asked for. The American Racing wheels I received were the same part# I ordered so in theory if I ordered 12mm offset I should have received 12mm offset.
+12mm on a 20x8 is different than +12mm on a 20x8.5, etc. Also "where" your tires sticks out to has A LOT to do with the width of your tire. Mine happen to be 12.5" wide and hence they stick out further on my +15 offset rims than would a 11.5" tire, etc. If you look at my gallery when I was test fitting my 20x8.5 +15mm rims before I put tires onto the rims, the rims were almost perfectly in line with the front cladding, may have been a few millimeters outside of the cladding, and since the torsion bar crank pulls the front wheels just slightly in closer to the VX the rears were sticking out from the VX around 5mm more than the front, picture for reference:

And here you can see the rear tires sticking out just ever so slightly more than the fronts because of the degree of the Control Arms after lifting:

And no it is not just because of the angle of the photo, at whichever angle you look at it from the rear or front you can see just a slight difference on each side front/back, but I am talking a small difference (3-5mm).

Also, Baxman had (0) degrees offset and that put his wheels even further out as far as wheelwell is concerned compared to Daver's. More trimming of cladding there!

The stock wheels were +38mm offset IIRC. So looking at all of this as a number-line and that backspacing specs are constant....going from +38mm (tires tucked up under wheel-wells on O.E.M. wheel) to +12mm,+10mm (outer edge of tire lines up with edge of wheel-well lip) to zero offset (outer edge of tire begins to exceed past edge of wheel-well lip) to negative offset going from low to high (say -5mm out to -15mm) results in ever-wider stance with wheels pushed out past fender wheel-well lip.
Yes right on, except as you can see in my photo from above, a 20x8.5" rim with +15mm offset lines up the edge of the rim almost exactly with the edge of the cladding, down to maybe 1 or 2mm sticking out on front at the most, which means my 12.5" tires would be almost 2" wider than this on the inside and outside, so a 0 offset at anything around the same 8.5" rim that I have would indeed push not just the tire outside the wheel well, but it would in fact push the rim edge itself to outside the cladding not just the tire.

I look at Jay Dunford's VX and see no problem visualizing -12mm of offset. His tires are out past the fender wheel-well lip whereas mine at +12 mm pretty much line up with edge of fender wheel-well lip. (critical in PA as fines result if tires stick out past fender wheel-well lip.)
The reason I agree that his offset is around +10 or so is because the amount of tire sticking out looks almost identical to Taylor(+10) and myself (+15). But his tires are .5" more narrow than ours, so that is why I thought the rims might be all the way down to a +8mm or so. But you are right that his wheels were indeed a little further out than mine. I say were because if anyone was wondering Jay is now riding in style in his blacked out FJ Cruiser.

Now where I'm not too sure....is how changes in backspacing figures into the mix. I suspect that is what is confusing us somewhat here in that backspacing may be changing on the various wheel styles???? IIRC my wheels are 4.5" backspacing.

Also, mm's are pretty small increments of measurement. When I was trying to pick out wheels that appealed to me AND were @ 10mm offset like Daver's VX; I really wanted the American Racing "Nitro" wheel. But, the closest offset it came in was zero! So, I picked the "Breaker" wheel as it was quite similar to the "Nitro" (kind of like a cousin..lol) and it was offered at 12mm offset. Only a difference of 2mm....and that was to the good in my book in that it was 2mm closer to stock....less likely for the tire to stick out past the fender wheel-well & get fined!
If I'm wrong here guys...I'm truly sorry...as this is how I perceive it and I'm not trying to mislead anyone.
P.S.--thanks Rickshaw for posting my newest pic + info and putting together an awesome thread!
Here is a chart that might simplify the whole offset to backspacing thing:

From the chart if your rims are +12mm offset and 4.5" backspacing then your rims would be 7" wide, but that does not sound right either, how were you measuring your backspacing or were you given those numbers?