PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust pipe leaks at the expansion unit

v+choi
08/29/2006, 07:08 PM
My VX began noisy and I found the expansion unit (2-inch long bellows shaped pipe) on left exhaust pipe system. :(
The mesh tubing was almost disappeared and the expansion unit is broken.
My local garage introduced anther garage to cut that part and weld another piece of pipe, and I talked to the one but he said it did not work on a Trooper.

It looks to me that the area is volunerable and could be problem to all VXs. Didn't you guys have similar problem? If so, did you find a good solution?

Thanks guys in advance.

Joe_Black
08/29/2006, 07:16 PM
Does it look something like this:
http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/images/flexjoints.jpg

v+choi
08/30/2006, 07:19 AM
Yes, it looks like the one on the left.
Should I get one and cut-n-weld on the existing pipe?
The garage guy said the exhaust is made out of stainless steel ally or some sort, so it was not easy to weld.

Joe_Black
08/30/2006, 08:04 AM
Yes, you need to replace it with another flex-pipe section as it helps prevent the header from cracking under torsional stresses. Stainless isn't any more difficult to weld than mild steel, if you have someone who knows what they're doing. It's very likely the person you're dealing with is welding with mild filler which will cause you problems when the weld begins to corrode with a vengeance.

Find a reputable shop with a better collective IQ and put the right part in there. Flex-pipes aren't terribly expensive and it's a common off-the-shelf component.

v+choi
08/30/2006, 04:11 PM
Great!
I will try that right away and will post a message for someone who has the same problem.
Thanks!

Hotsauce
08/30/2006, 05:50 PM
Most new cars have a stainless exhaust now, its not uncommon anymore, and any good shop can weld it properly.

John C.