PDA

View Full Version : The Uber VX

tbigity
08/15/2006, 09:24 PM
Ok, I am a brand new VX owner *pees a little* and love it, and I love modding even more. I got transio's (thanks again bro) and as you know, he had some great stuff done. So my question to you is (since I couldn't boil it down from all of these threads on my own):

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE 3 AND ONLY 3 MODS FOR YOUR VX, WHAT WOULD THEY BE?

Power, body, suspension, drivetrain, interior...dun care. Lay it out there. Help a bro out. AND if there is anything that you would label as an absolute DO NOT, also lemme know.

Ty

My Pics:
1) Calmini (as soon as the current tires loose their tread; too nice to trash currently) - also new tires would fall under this one
2) Alpine SC
3) I love me some brush guard (Tone, looking your way), with the appropriate KCs of course

Triathlete
08/15/2006, 09:42 PM
4 link SAS with some 36's!

transio
08/15/2006, 10:29 PM
4 link SAS with some 36's!That's gonna be my next VX. :D

transio
08/15/2006, 10:34 PM
Ty,

Considering what you've told me of your driving lifestyle, the Calmini lift, 285/60/18 Nitto TerraGrapplers (or maybe something bigger? :eek: ), Alpine S/C, and brushguard sound perfect. You might want to consider a front bar that you can later outfit with a winch, though... sounded to me like that's something you'd enjoy in the future. :D

Oh, also, maybe instead of the brushguard you should consider getting a 5th wheel & tire and roof rack... seems to me you'd get a lot more function out of it. Right now, if you go flat, you're stranded! :eek:

PS - get a can of fix-o-flat.

PPS - if you go with the 5th wheel option, you can use the leftover money to mount a subwoofer in the spare tire compartment! :D

Maugan_VX
08/16/2006, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the group. You got a nice VX.

First thing I would do is bolt on the S/C.

tbigity
08/17/2006, 06:32 PM
thanks for the info Trans. Even though my previous driving styles have pretty much been "as high as it'll go"...I think your baby is changing me. This thing handles better than the FX45 and close to the same level of power. I think I am prolly gunna have to take Maugan's advice and strap the SC on first. I would like to get the full effect before losing instant power with more drag/weight and larger footprint that the lift/tires would produce. Not to mention the higher CG so no more goosin'er 'round the corner. :cool:

VXD959
08/17/2006, 06:53 PM
Ty,

Welcome to the club! The first mod you have to do is change your profile information....still says "soon to get"! :p

You got a very nice ride!

If you don't have a sub installed yet, please do so. It changes the whole audio experience! That will put you in the mood for better things!

Did you travel to FL to get the VX? Are you located in Oklahoma?

Congratulations!

transio
08/17/2006, 09:20 PM
Ty,

The supercharger will make a huge difference in acceleration - especially with the big, heavy shoes you have on there right now.

If you want to go a step further in improving street performance, drop down to 285/55/18's when you get new tires, and try to find something Z rated, so it's soft and grippy. I think the current tires are H or V rated, which is decent, but still a bit harder. Also, get the 2" drop in the rear springs as I was planning on doing, and crank down your front torsion bars 1", and that baby will corner like a sports car!!! :D

Another mod you might consider is doing the seat drop... there are some mounts under the seats that lift them up 1-2" off the floorpan. You can cut them out with a disk grinder and drop the seats down so you feel more grounded.

Finally, you may want to have the gray plastic interior pieces painted Proton Yellow to match the exterior. This will really make the CF pieces pop, and will make the interior look like a show car. You can complement this by doing yellow leather inserts in place of the gray on the seats, or... there are some yellow/black seat covers available somewhere (search for the link), or.... you could swap out the front seats entirely for some yellow and black racing seats for an even lower, tighter, sportier ride. I gave that mod a lot of thought at one point. :D

tbigity
08/17/2006, 10:23 PM
Oh gawd, how I wish I had another to do that to. Ultimately, I am gunna have to raise this thing, but that sounds crazy fun. I was wondering about the yellow leather inserts...can they keep the recaro seats in tact and just change the light grey to yellow?

I have kicked around getting hte laminate interior kit from ebay (any thoughts?). Should be under $200 total and I have always loved the wood laminate inserts (yes I know the one I am talking about is faux...but at least it isnt vinyl). Yellow would be a good idea too but I am not sure if I want the int actually painted. That is unchartered territory for me.

To VXD959, yes I flew out to Miami and yes I do live in OK...just outside tulsa to be exact. Thanks for the welcome. I have been trying to figure out how to change my profile and how to upload pics to my gallery but cant seem to find out how to do either and have not been able to get much help on the subject from other members :(

Ldub
08/18/2006, 03:33 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to change my profile and how to upload pics to my gallery but cant seem to find out how to do either and have not been able to get much help on the subject from other members :(

Dood, no prob...see that header bar towards the top of the home page?
Click on quick links, then change profile.
Upload photos?, Click on gallery, then gallery links, then upload photos.

transio
08/18/2006, 07:48 AM
Ty,

Here's a great idea for you, and I just had it... man, wish I thought about this when I had the car!!!! :(

Do the gray parts of the seats with Yellow Alcantara, which is better than leather, cause it grips your butt better. Then, wrap the gray plastic parts with the same yellow alcantara. This is a very sporty look - the $60k+ Audi RS4 does something similar. It would look AMAZING on a VX.

And yes, a good upholstery shop can just swap out the gray parts on your seats no problem. It should actually turn out like a factory job if they're very good... cause they'll use the pieces they remove as templates for the new pieces they're cutting.

It could get pricey, though.

tbigity
08/18/2006, 09:46 AM
first off: LDUB = hero...thanks man

second: Alcantara, never heard of it (does that really shock anyone that I haven't head of something in these forums :p ) I looked around for some pics and kinda looks lik suede, correct? Would be tight, no doubt bout it. You think it would run more than the leather would?

VXD959
08/18/2006, 12:06 PM
Ty,

Next time we have a Texas meet, try to make it. There are some VXs here with all kind of mods. Julian's VX in Austin has it all, from a Super Charger, rear view camera, to a brush guard. In fact, it will be nice if the next meet is in Austin. Not only Tone is there to sale and install certain products, but I'm very interested in getting a sunroof from a installer that Julian recommended in Austin.

Hope the guys in Austin will schedule something (October works better for me).

ZEUS
08/18/2006, 01:15 PM
I would so go for an air suspension if I could figure out how to make one work... lowered, stock, and lifted stances all in one package sounds too good to be true and for a VX I guess it is! Then Air lockers and gearing (4:1 x-case)! A slide back canvas lid to open up the whole roof. I like the idea of the clamshell doors too. I guess I am a dreamer! Or just obsessed with AIR!

transio
08/18/2006, 02:40 PM
first off: LDUB = hero...thanks man

second: Alcantara, never heard of it (does that really shock anyone that I haven't head of something in these forums :p ) I looked around for some pics and kinda looks lik suede, correct? Would be tight, no doubt bout it. You think it would run more than the leather would?
Alcantara is a composite material very much like suede in texture, but lower maintenance, and is about as pricey as leather. It's a very cool, sporty, and classy accent material for the interior of a sports car. I think it would absolutely rock to see a VX with yellow alcantara / black leather seats.

Maugan_VX
08/18/2006, 05:25 PM
I agree with Transio. I never understood why they didn't do yellow interiors on the prots.

....just, for the love of god

don't lower it. :P

transio
08/18/2006, 06:22 PM
don't lower it. :PDude, some day I'm gonna buy the house next door to you and buy a VX and slam it just to piss you off! :D

transio
08/18/2006, 06:24 PM
I would so go for an air suspension if I could figure out how to make one workThe problem with an air suspension is that it replaces springs AND shocks... so you lose a lot of the performance that the stock suspension gets (i.e. it will have a lot of body roll). They also don't have great travel, iirc, so they really perform like crap both on AND off road (kind of the antithesis of the VX if you ask me).

Ldub
08/18/2006, 07:38 PM
Dude, some day I'm gonna buy the house next door to you and buy a VX and slam it just to piss you off! :D

For the full effect, you'll also want to de-badge the house by removing the house numbers.
Also, lowering it by removing the foundation would be a nice touch. ;)

tbigity
08/18/2006, 09:19 PM
AND turbocharge it. IE add a commercial central air system to it.

I will look into the alcantera locally, sounds neat. As for the austin meet, count me in...depending on the day. Austin is still 9 hrs away. But i like the idea of that close to tone's shop.

Sticking with the thread, something that makes me wet myself when i see them on VXs is a hood scoop in the hood insert. Does anyone know where to get a functional hood scoop for th vx? I have seen plenty in member photos but have been unsucessful in finding any info bout them in the forum. I would prefer one that is for more than aesthetics, but if that is all that is out there, oh well. I have to do bout $300 worth of work to my insert any way, so might as well scoop it.

transio
08/19/2006, 12:05 AM
Ty,

There was a company making aftermarket CF hood inserts with the air induction (scoop) or air extraction shape. I think they stopped, though. It was CF1 or something.

Steve

tbigity
08/19/2006, 10:25 AM
I was afraid of that. I searched and searched...literally hours last night. I could find nothing that would be as simple as unbolt the old, install the new. I am prolyl gunna have to do a custom jobber. Might consider cowl induction as it would be easier to make that functional that a ram air style

transio
08/19/2006, 04:44 PM
I was afraid of that. I searched and searched...literally hours last night. I could find nothing that would be as simple as unbolt the old, install the new. I am prolyl gunna have to do a custom jobber. Might consider cowl induction as it would be easier to make that functional that a ram air style
Ty, there are some aftermarket products that you can have pretty much glued onto the hood, with a little cut-out, then the whole thing painted. Since you're gonna repaint the hood anyway, you should look into these.

tbigity
08/19/2006, 09:37 PM
yeah, that was originally my idea. The body shop I use quoted just over $300. I havent shopped around but it got me thinking (since I read a post a while ago about a stock insert being about $300) why pay that much to repair when I can buy new...or mod it :cool:

transio
08/20/2006, 08:15 AM
IIRC, the CF air induction hood insert was about $300 :eek:

rowhard
08/20/2006, 12:02 PM
When I bought my carbon fibre insert this spring from user newthings, he had one carbon fibre insert with a WRX scoop left. Not sure if he still has it or wants to sell it, but you could PM him and find out.

tbigity
08/20/2006, 12:09 PM
thanks man, I will do that. I saw that thread where you got that form him but figured it wouldnt still be around since it was back in february iirc.