PDA

View Full Version : Rear Camera Installed

rocket man
12/09/2004, 04:16 AM
Looking for some advice and help in brain storming a solution to my rear camera. Hope someone can help me.

Okay, I have the Pioneer AVIC-N1 navigation system and compatable with this install I also put in the Pioneer wide angle rear view video color camera. I did the install my self. Here's the rub.

The system works perfect but the little pocket that the rear view camera fits in makes for a tight fit and due to space requirements angles the camera pointed down. This is great when backing up cause thats where you want it to point so you can see how close you are to whatever but its worthless to see much more than 10 feet behind your behind:rolleyes: or to monitor your backside if your towing something. So here is my idea.... I thought maybe a trip to a wrecking yard to scrounge up a power remote rear view mirror and maybe Rube Goldberg the camera in some fashion by removing the mirror and somehow attaching the camera. Im pretty much convinced that that little camera box will have to be cut up a bit to allow the camera to pan up... Then reinstalling the camera and motor assembly sans the mirror. I don't know if Im getting my point across or if its just a lame idea...I respect your thoughts folks on the matter or for even a better suggestion. There appears to be a little extra room behind the spare tire but I don't have a clue as to how much space these remote mirror servo motors use up or even if there in the door or behind the mirror housing... Any thoughts on the matter ladies and gents??:confused: :confused: :confused:

johnnyapollo
12/09/2004, 05:49 AM
-X- down in Florida had a rear camera mounted in the ceiling of his VX. It was low-profile to it fit snug up there and provided an excellent view. I would really consider going that route rather than trying to rig something in the half-moon. Most of the half-moon installs I've seen had wide-angle lenses so the issue was mitigated.

-- John

Tone
12/09/2004, 08:53 AM
A tiny remote controlled tilt and/or pan stand would be great! I like the hidden aspect of the stock location and with the small camera I have it is possible to see enough to use as a lane change assist as well as backup - I can see down to within 18"of my bumper and 40+ft behind me. My screen has calibration marks I can bring up to help judge distance. But I'm up for the 'Rube if ya make it...

rocket man
12/09/2004, 09:36 AM
Yep...that tilt and pan idea would be the pro-install but minature it would definetly have to be...lucky the camera weights only a couple ounces. Those little servo motors on model airplane's that control the elevator/rudder and aleirons with those proportional wireless controllers but I get brain freeze cause I don't know too much about those little critters. I doubt if they are 12 volt anyway so would need to rig up volt reduction circuitry and the concept keeps getting flakier.

The problem is I know a little bit about a lot of this stuff but not a whole lot about the specifics....The camera works great..even if the camera just pivitoted up and down would help..

Keep the "idea juices" flowing and thanks John and Tone..

John

marximus
12/09/2004, 05:54 PM
hmmm... ilike this idea of pivoting the camera, but r/c servos arent the way to go. i have built my fair share of r/c boats, cars, planes, helicopts... and i can tell you that they arent 12volts. the idea about the side veiw mirror remote is good though. if u stripped out just the motor, you could directly connect it to the camera via gears. but you would have to make a motor housing the mount the motor and the axle which the camera will tilt on....blah blah blah. good luck though!!! hope you can do it, it would be pretty sweet. post pics when done;Db;

Ron Pfeiffer
12/10/2004, 01:49 AM
I was thinking about projects I can't afford the other day :) and was wondering if one could rewire the side-view mirror adjustment toggle so that the switch's middle position wasn't "off", but rather "rear view camera". Then, you could adjust the rear view camera with the same factory toggle we do our mirrors with. I too was thinking to do the actual movement with a mirror-adjustment motor. Seemed like a neat and tidy install, but I don't know if it can be done. Just an idea to throw into this brainstorm

Good luck - let us know how the project turns out

Ron

rocket man
12/10/2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah that was my, "along those lines thinking" too...Ron

And you are a "Geniusicle":D with that remote swithch that controls the mirrors controlling the camera too!! Unfortunately, my pratical knowledge of electricity has led me to quite a few "frizzy hair" events in my life therefore I approach these issues after much consultation and a thick pair of rubber gloves:cool:

The good thing is that these mirror motors seem to have some type of "proportional" control and this camera is pretty tiny. it even has a screw hole in the back of it for mounting purposes.

Anyone out there know where these mirror motors are in these usually?? In the door and controled by a cable to the mirror or is it directly behind the mirror inside the mirror housing?? Never had the occasion to find out??:wtfr2:

V-Twin hiCROSS
12/10/2004, 02:35 PM
I just replaced the passenger side motorized mirror in my wife's Saturn, and its motor was inside of the actual mirror casing. I think that this idea will work, but I am not sure about changing the mirror switch to also control the camera. I am sure that it would be possible, just not by me.
A simpler idea might be to re-work the camera pocket to get it set at an angle that will suit all of your needs. The moving camera sounds very cool, but it also will be a huge undertaking to get it usable.

rocket man
12/10/2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks V-twin....

Hummmmmmm??????....coincidentially my girlfriend just happens to have a Saturn:rolleyes: She just got a new one and this one is a 98............Nah! I couldn't!.....Nah!...... no that would be too decietful...Bad Rocket Man Bad .....

Anyways how much did it cost you? If you don't mine my asking?? how big is it? and how does the mirror attach/detach?

The camera could be tilted up to get a better look see pretty easily but the downside is that directly down is the best position IMO because at this time I can see the crome ball of my hitch which gives a birds eye peek when I back into parking spaces or hitching up a trailer alone. Its a little wierd backing up while looking forward into the monitor of your backing up..a kind of dyslexic sensation that I would compare to flying a plane upside down in reverse...but you have a learning curve and get used to pertty fast but it can scare the hell out of unsuspecting passengers....

Tone
12/10/2004, 04:19 PM
130 degrees Diagonal; 110 degrees Horizontal; 80 degrees Vertical

MZ-N10
12/10/2004, 04:25 PM
definitly an awesome idea, but wouldnt it just be easier if u install another camera?

ive been thinkin bout having 1 camera turn on when teh reverse lights turn on, and the other one turn on when the car is on and not in reverse......
________
MarciaSex live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/MarciaSex)