PDA

View Full Version : New air filter

tomcat837
05/20/2004, 05:57 PM
Those of you who modified the air filter but with the factory air duct... how do you keep it from moving? in other words, did you use something to keep it steady in place or is it just floating in the engine bay?

morgan-tec
05/20/2004, 09:28 PM
You should make some sort of support bracket to hold it so it wont contact the fan.

tomcat837
05/20/2004, 09:55 PM
The fan is not a problem, the filter sits in the same spot the factory box used to be, but it is floating there and I can hear it hitting metal if I drive over a hard bump...

Raque Thomas
05/21/2004, 10:47 AM
I have an aftermarket "cone" filter, and I left the bottom of my filter box in place (thinking I would maybe draw some cold air in for thru the box). The filter lays right on top of this and it keeps it in place. It will move a little bit - but will not contact anything or make noise.

tomcat837
05/21/2004, 01:20 PM
Cool, thank you for the suggestion...

WormGod
05/21/2004, 01:40 PM
Yep, this was the problem I had when I got the HotSHot intake. Mine never shipped with the support bracket to keep it stationary. After a few emails, Mr Moody had said he would send one out to me....

....2 years later, still nothing, heh. I since changed the filter on it to something a tad larger and it enables the whole intake to fit snug since the end of the filter runs directly to the stock fender wall induction port. I still have yet to fab something for REAL support though. :(

Dallas4u
05/21/2004, 01:53 PM
When I was "testing" a new intake system I made my own bracket to hold the filter up and stationary... here's basically what I did.

Went to Home Depot, bought a lumber joining plate... rectangular steel piece with numerous nail holes in it that sits between two pieces of lumber, end to end, and keeps then joined together when nailed to them. I bought this because of the numerous holes = numerous screw hole options.

Looked at the far left mounting hole for the stock airbox, bent the joining plate to form a lip to sit flush over the mounting hole, then sat the intake and filter over the new mounting bracket (joining plate). I measured how long it needed to be to reach and slightly bend through the air filter clamp, then cut a diagonal piece off to form more of a "bracket" type look.

Here is a VERY rough (thanks MS Paint!) illustration of what I am talking about:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/35bracket.jpg

tomcat837
05/21/2004, 02:17 PM
That's what I'm talking about!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you... I will go with that right away...

Thank you!

Dallas4u
05/21/2004, 02:54 PM
No problem. I hope you understood (understand) my pic... it is a very easy piece to make, as long as you have something to cut it with (tin snips work fine), and maybe a drill to make the hole you are going to use a little larger.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

visconte
06/16/2004, 10:13 PM
The K&N kit has a mounting flange to hold the duct pipe in place, it seems to be the same thing as the Calmini but at a lower price than Calmini. [Hope to have it installed this weekend and will post feedback then.]

johnnyapollo
06/17/2004, 02:58 AM
The bracket the Hot Shot intake shipped with is made from two pieces: an "L" bracket with a small piece of "s" bent metal (the top of the "S" is held in place under the hose clamp around the top fo the MAF. This bracket lasted about a year before snapping off at the top. Here's a pic:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/33intake2.jpg

I've subsequently taken apiece of heavy bracketing that I had laying around and attached it extended from the same bolt hole that I drilled on the Hot Shot bracket. It stickes out like a "t" now. I then took two zip ties and distributed the weight of the MAF over its length. It's really the weight of the MAF/Filter combination that pulls the intake down and makes it move. The modified bracket has worked fine for me so far (I painted it black so it won't be as noticable).

-- John