PDA

View Full Version : supercharger question...

technocoy
02/17/2004, 08:34 AM
hey guys,

i did a search for supercharger, but there are like a billion results!

can anyone refresh my memory on how much gain we get from the alpine in hp?

also, for tone or anyone else:
would you suggest (when i have the money) that it would be better to buy a new long block and the SC at the same time and just put the whole sha-bang in at one time, and all brand-new? i was thinking that might be better than throwing all that pressure on my o-rings and gaskets, especially with the number1 problem that seems common.

and about the number1 problem:
what do you guys think about installing a pre-oiler on the block? i think that may help alot with the number one cylinder. probably help tremendously with engine wear altogether.

am i crazy?

thanks guys,
technocoy

technocoy
02/17/2004, 08:43 AM
can you please move this to the right spot. my mistake.

thanks,
technocoy

technocoy
02/17/2004, 07:17 PM
ok, thanks for the flood of responses, but i feel i didn't quite get what you meant.;)

no one has any knowledge on this or feedback?

volume311
02/17/2004, 07:57 PM
Well if you really have the money(if you are thinking this you probably do) then what you can do is buy the long block, and the supercharger and do the following: upgrade all of the internals with maybe higher quality light weight components. Make it more efficient. Would allow for higher boost to be run on the blower and more power would be the result.Makes sense right? And after you are done throw that in to the engine bay and try to sell your current engine to cash out some of the investment.

If I had the money and time, I would do somthing like this, but then again thats me and the benefits may be very slight for the investment.:D

SGT.BATGUANO
02/17/2004, 08:19 PM
I believe it adds about 45 HP.

It only has 4 lbs. of boost, so it's not likely to blow the heads off.

If you've maintained it well, you should be able to just throw it on your current engine and keep an eye on it. While your driving with it you can get the project engine under way, just in case.

The problem of insufficient oiling of #1 rod, or the inverted oil control ring induced failure is gonna happen if it's gonna happen.

I'd agree that a properly installed pre-luber can only help, even if only at startup.

technocoy
02/17/2004, 08:50 PM
appreciate the feedback.

i was just thinking that the pre-oiler idea may be a good one, and didn't know if it had been brought up before.

i hope to get the supercharger sometime towards the end of this year.

for those of you who have it: do you feel a considerable difference between the 215hp and the 260 you have with the SC? i want to feel like it is definitely worth the 3000 smackers. i have heard people saying that you really feel it in the low-end. what about interstate and passing speeds?

thanks guys, sorry to be a pest about it, it's just that it's alot of money, i want it to be worth the investment!

peace,
technocoy:)

Tone
02/18/2004, 06:29 AM
Actually, our engine (as it comes from Isuzu) can handle substantially more than the 4- pounds of boost IF an ECU modification can be made and an extra injector added. But the bigger weak link in the driveline is the tranny which cannot handle much more than the SC currently puts out. I am in the process of having my 4L30E rebuilt and beefed up as much as possible and will have to see what it is capable of.

Please ask around as there are quite a few of us running them and most have not trouble letting you drive it - there is no comparison with a stock VX and is THE best mod I have done and enjoy it daily getting on the freeway, pushing through the twisties, or crawling over rocks.

Cyrk
02/18/2004, 08:00 AM
I have the 5psi pulley on mine and I feel the difference on the highway the most, it really is faster after 50ish it has no problem running to 100 now. I feel it was WELL worth the money.
-Dave

TEXNTEG
03/04/2004, 12:51 PM
is the 4L30E a GM transmission?

SGT.BATGUANO
03/04/2004, 11:07 PM
Yes. I believe it's a Borg-Warner product and is used in Cadillac Catera and BMW Z-3, Holden Commodore, Opel products, among others. Been posted previously. Try the "Search" button.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/4l30_main.htm

Tone
03/05/2004, 05:17 AM
Tranny is made in Strasbourg, France by GM and used in several products as mentioned above. Borg-Warner makes the transfer case / TOD unit.

ScottinMA
05/07/2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Cyrk
I have the 5psi pulley on mine and I feel the difference on the highway the most, it really is faster after 50ish it has no problem running to 100 now. I feel it was WELL worth the money.
-Dave

what is the hp difference between the 4 psi pulley and the 5 psi pulley?

Cyrk
05/07/2004, 11:18 AM
Another pound of boost, another 10-15 HP

Tone
05/07/2004, 05:49 PM
I've got 2 pulleys in stock....

jayfotos
05/12/2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Tone

Hey Tone, I thought you were going to drop me a line when those came in. I've been waiting months for all the pieces to be available, I guess you don't want my money.:(

WormGod
05/12/2004, 07:55 AM
I'm just hoping Tone gets an itchy finger and drops the price on the S/C again.... then I can go for both that and the pully. ;)

Not holding my breath though. :D

nater
05/12/2004, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I'm gettin' the itch, too. A special offer might put me over the top...

Nate

frankie100
05/12/2004, 07:11 PM
Hi Tone, I emailed you, I want one. So this takes care of the one left.

Frankie, Vega Baja, Sunny Puerto Rico.
dsaintpr@yahoo.com

frankie100
05/23/2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Tone

Hey Tone I want one of the 5psi pulleys.

Frankie.