PDA

View Full Version : wheel buffing

bssage
08/30/2012, 05:01 AM
Those wheel buffers seem both overpriced for what they are. And look like they would not have a very long life.

It occurred to me just to stick a micro fiber rag directly in the drill Collete and tighten. I did and it works. But not for long. The rag pulls free after a few minutes of buffing.

Does anyone know of an attachment that could grab the rag at the end of a cordless drill?

Rags are cheap. Those buffing balls, cones, ect are like 20 bucks a shot.

Bob Barker
08/30/2012, 06:09 AM
Try cutting the end off of a drill bit and wrapping the rag around it, then pushing the bit end into the drill and tighten onto that. It would give the drill something to grab onto and the rag should stay on until it tears up. Just make sure there's no bit sticking out of the drill end!

Mile High VX
08/30/2012, 11:46 AM
If you have a headlight restoration kit with the drill attachment, either the yellow fuzzy one from Meguiars or the blue foam ball one from Mothers, you can wrap a clean microfiber cloth around that and secure it with a plastic wire tie.

If wrapped correctly it will not come loose and the wire tie, attached under the restoration kit attachment will not be in play.

Hope this helps.

rowhard
08/30/2012, 04:10 PM
I know the mothers buffer can sell for as much as 34 bucks in some parts houses. Got mine in Wallmart for 19 and change. And you know, the thought of wrapping rags around drill bit's and what have you makes me cringe. Be careful, hate to see a grown man cry:_brickwal

bssage
08/31/2012, 08:40 AM
I dont think Bob meant for the bit to be proud of the collette. I will try that. Really even a wooden Dowl would work for that.

vt_maverick
08/31/2012, 09:05 AM
FWIW I bought one of those round Mother's buffers for $20 or so and used it every two weeks for probably a year and a half and it was just as good as the day I bought it.