PDA

View Full Version : Help, I stink at electrical. Where to ground a CB?

RickOKC
03/02/2012, 06:32 PM
Against my better judgment, I'm installing a CB myself. Right now my plan is to wire the power into to the cigarette lighter so it will power off with the accessory switch. If I'm reading the electrical manual correctly (page 27 of the PDF), the power wire is brown/white. But... where should I ground it? Is a good clean connection to the firewall OK? Or, should I wire into an existing ground wire?

VXorado
03/02/2012, 06:53 PM
Any metal bolt going to the body/frame will work fine. Just make sure the ground wire is touching metal and not paint. You can also use the ground wire for the 12v outlet, I believe that's what I did for my cb.

pbkid
03/06/2012, 09:33 AM
Any metal bolt going to the body/frame will work fine. Just make sure the ground wire is touching metal and not paint. You can also use the ground wire for the 12v outlet, I believe that's what I did for my cb.

yup, its been a long time, but i think the VX has an orange and a black on the cigarette lighter.
Either way, when you get to the back of the lighter one of the two wires will be the shielding and the other will be the 'center post'. The center one is the +, and the shielding is always negative.