PDA

View Full Version : New Rotor and Brake Pad Install - It's Great!

BeeVenom
01/22/2011, 07:56 AM
I just finally replaced my stock rotors with R1 Concepts Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors front (#EDS-43013) and rear (#EDS-43015). Since I typically lay up my VX during the winter months this was a great time to get this done. I used Hi-Temp 1200 degree paint on all the non-machined rotor areas and decided to use the EBC 'Ultimax' SUV performance pads too (#UD579-FRONT/#UD580-REAR). Went and replaced inner/outer bearings, races, and seals while I was at it and I could not be happier with this combination! :happyface The Bee stops unbelieveaby better! Total cost for parts, paint, etc. was less than $700.
It was the best procrastination I ever subjected myself to in recent history. I usually take 'forever' to make decisions on stuff like this. If you're considering brake upgrades for the VX, this is a great combo!

vt_maverick
01/22/2011, 08:09 AM
Got part #'s for future reference? And how long did you go on the stock rotors and pads?

And wait for it... wait for it... pics pics!

BeeVenom
01/22/2011, 09:06 AM
I just listed the R1 Concepts and EBC part numbers for the rotors and pads. The cost for everything was less than $700 total.

vt_maverick
01/22/2011, 10:26 AM
Did you paint the calipers as well? Or were you just looking to stop corrosion?

BeeVenom
01/22/2011, 11:01 AM
Yes, I painted the rotors a silver color and the calipers PROTON YELLO to match my VX. The yellow looks cool behind the chrome wheels. I think the silver on the rotors brings it all together nicely too. Oh, to answer your other question, my original factory rotors went only about 38000 miles but that's only because i let the pads go a little too long and they scored the rotors a little bit.

vxaddict
01/22/2011, 11:05 AM
I went with the same rotor setup from r1. They are great guys to work with. I went with different pads though, the ceramic ones that came loaded with their calipers.

BeeVenom
01/22/2011, 11:12 AM
Yea, these guys were really helpful to me when i was purchasing. Glad i went with their stuff!

vt_maverick
01/22/2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, I painted the rotors a silver color and the calipers PROTON YELLO to match my VX. The yellow looks cool behind the chrome wheels. I think the silver on the rotors brings it all together nicely too. Oh, to answer your other question, my original factory rotors went only about 38000 miles but that's only because i let the pads go a little too long and they scored the rotors a little bit.

I went with the same rotor setup from r1. They are great guys to work with. I went with different pads though, the ceramic ones that came loaded with their calipers.

Now I want to see pics from both of you! :)

BeeVenom
01/23/2011, 12:57 PM
I'll get them ASAP and try to post the PICS.

vt_maverick
01/23/2011, 01:08 PM
No hurry lol... Thanks!

vt_maverick
03/01/2011, 08:50 AM
Bump for pics. :D

circmand
03/01/2011, 09:21 AM
a year or two ago. Have had no problems. I used a shop to install but found that buying these parts on ebay instead of using the shops whatever brand was cheaper. So I figure better product, better performance, and lower price an all around win. Did not do the paint though I considered it. I was going to buy the pre painted rotors but was told they wear off quickly but unevenly

Gussie2000
03/01/2011, 06:17 PM
One of my 1rst mods when i bought the VX was precisely the rotors and pads.

I went with R1 concepts rotors and bought satisfied full ceramic pads.

So far all rotors remains in excelent conditions,i only had to replace the rear pads few months ago.

But in summertime i'll replace the front pads and repaint the calipers

mhill
03/02/2011, 08:28 AM
I have wanted to do this since I bought the vx. Mostly to check the condition of the bearings. I will try to get this done before Moab in May. Sure would be nice to see some pictures to see what I am getting into. I have done this on other vehicles, just dont want to be surprised after getting started. :smilewink

MSHardeman
03/02/2011, 08:31 AM
mhill, I have tons of pictures from when I repacked my bearings (Kenny has a write up on it somewhere), and replaced my rotors so I can post them if you would like. Not that hard to do, just takes some time.

Found it - http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11324&highlight=repack+front+bearings

Mile High VX
03/02/2011, 08:33 AM
And this is an excellent write up by Kenny...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11324

mhill
03/02/2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys, very helpful! Now all I need is the money....You guys were so quick with the pictures....??? :yesgray:
Thanks