Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Rotor and Brake Pad Install - It's Great!

New Rotor and Brake Pad Install - It's Great!

I just finally replaced my stock rotors with R1 Concepts Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors front (#EDS-43013) and rear (#EDS-43015). Since I typically lay up my VX during the winter months this was a great time to get this done. I used Hi-Temp 1200 degree paint on all the non-machined rotor areas and decided to use the EBC 'Ultimax' SUV performance pads too (#UD579-FRONT/#UD580-REAR). Went and replaced inner/outer bearings, races, and seals while I was at it and I could not be happier with this combination! The Bee stops unbelieveaby better! Total cost for parts, paint, etc. was less than $700.
    It was the best procrastination I ever subjected myself to in recent history. I usually take 'forever' to make decisions on stuff like this. If you're considering brake upgrades for the VX, this is a great combo!
    Last edited by BeeVenom : 01/22/2011 at 09:04 AM Reason: added info on rotors/pads part #'s

Got part #'s for future reference? And how long did you go on the stock rotors and pads?

And wait for it... wait for it... pics pics!

I just listed the R1 Concepts and EBC part numbers for the rotors and pads. The cost for everything was less than $700 total.

Did you paint the calipers as well? Or were you just looking to stop corrosion?

Yes, I painted the rotors a silver color and the calipers PROTON YELLO to match my VX. The yellow looks cool behind the chrome wheels. I think the silver on the rotors brings it all together nicely too. Oh, to answer your other question, my original factory rotors went only about 38000 miles but that's only because i let the pads go a little too long and they scored the rotors a little bit.
    Last edited by BeeVenom : 01/22/2011 at 11:09 AM Reason: added info about factory rotors

I went with the same rotor setup from r1. They are great guys to work with. I went with different pads though, the ceramic ones that came loaded with their calipers.

Yea, these guys were really helpful to me when i was purchasing. Glad i went with their stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVenom View Post
    Yes, I painted the rotors a silver color and the calipers PROTON YELLO to match my VX. The yellow looks cool behind the chrome wheels. I think the silver on the rotors brings it all together nicely too. Oh, to answer your other question, my original factory rotors went only about 38000 miles but that's only because i let the pads go a little too long and they scored the rotors a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by vxaddict View Post
    I went with the same rotor setup from r1. They are great guys to work with. I went with different pads though, the ceramic ones that came loaded with their calipers.
    Now I want to see pics from both of you!

I'll get them ASAP and try to post the PICS.

No hurry lol... Thanks!

Bump for pics.

I did this

a year or two ago. Have had no problems. I used a shop to install but found that buying these parts on ebay instead of using the shops whatever brand was cheaper. So I figure better product, better performance, and lower price an all around win. Did not do the paint though I considered it. I was going to buy the pre painted rotors but was told they wear off quickly but unevenly
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Thumbs up Ri concepts

One of my 1rst mods when i bought the VX was precisely the rotors and pads.

I went with R1 concepts rotors and bought satisfied full ceramic pads.

So far all rotors remains in excelent conditions,i only had to replace the rear pads few months ago.

But in summertime i'll replace the front pads and repaint the calipers
    Dakar was just the begining.

Thumbs up "I brake for MOAB"

I have wanted to do this since I bought the vx. Mostly to check the condition of the bearings. I will try to get this done before Moab in May. Sure would be nice to see some pictures to see what I am getting into. I have done this on other vehicles, just dont want to be surprised after getting started.

mhill, I have tons of pictures from when I repacked my bearings (Kenny has a write up on it somewhere), and replaced my rotors so I can post them if you would like. Not that hard to do, just takes some time.

Found it - http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...front+bearings
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless