PDA

View Full Version : Sacrilege?

Daly
10/01/2010, 11:50 AM
I know that alot of people on this site are lucky enough to have off roading near them and that is why they have a VX. I live in NY city and off roading is not really an option. I have a VX for driving in the snow, bad weather in general, and of course because it is the coolest looking vehicle even after 10 years.
Question is in NY the roads are pitifull and the ride of the VX to say the least is bumpy. My VX rides like the truck it probably was made to be. I can't tell you how many times I have hit my head on the roof.
Anyone change the shocks and spring set up to be more user friendly for regular street use?

Mile High VX
10/01/2010, 11:57 AM
Quite a few members have changed shocks...Rancho 9000 seem to work well for those that have them...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17644&highlight=shocks

Gussie2000
10/01/2010, 12:33 PM
Are hellcto drive on.

I also live in the " GREAT CITY " as well and had my OEM shocks replace not because of the bumpy ride,but because one of my shocks just give up.

The solution is to ask Sr bloommer to fix all streets after illegally running for a 3ed term instead of we the tax payers to spend money to replace suspension parts.
Sorry for the tread jack.

Ranchos have couple of shocks suitable for our VX i am on the 5000 seriess,alonng with those shocks upgrading the OEM bridgetone tires for an sotfer tires really helps

By the way,where do you live ?

I lives in queens

Marlin
10/01/2010, 04:18 PM
x2 on the Rancho 9000s, they are actually doing a deal right now, free remote air ride control with 4 9000s. That gives you the ability to dial the shocks to a softer ride, or stiffer pending conditions. 4 wheel parts was have a huge sale a month ago, I got 4 of em for around 60 each IIRC. They are normally around 100ish each.

RickOKC
10/01/2010, 05:12 PM
I wonder if the remote controller is any good. I saw some comments here where members had some problems, but they were old threads - maybe right after MyRide came out. :_confused

Marlin
10/01/2010, 06:37 PM
I wonder if the remote controller is any good. I saw some comments here where members had some problems, but they were old threads - maybe right after MyRide came out. :_confused

Who cares, its free:) If you don't want it, wait a few months and put it on ebay, I think they are a couple hundred bucks normally.

RickOKC
10/01/2010, 06:56 PM
Who cares, its free:) If you don't want it, wait a few months and put it on ebay, I think they are a couple hundred bucks normally.
Hey.... great idea! (Gulp, I'm seeing it priced around $250.)

RallyDude
10/01/2010, 07:01 PM
Daly, don't feel as if you are removing a vital component of the VX, even though it was a heavily published component of the VX. Remember, this vehicle was built to win the Paris to Dakar race, and shock cooling is important in such a grueling race. Even those of us who do off-road, do not need the cooling function the stock shocks provide for an endurance rally. Your VX is a true rally vehicle, with very little changed from the concept that was initially produced, so it only makes sense to modify it for your situation.

The cool thing about the 9000's is that they have the ability to provide the stiff suspension that emulates stock, but with a twist of a dial (that can be operated remotely) you get a much more compliant ride that the city demands. The only thing you lose is the cooling feature, which only endurance racers need, not the average off-roader. You can set them softer for your everyday ride, but still have the option of a stiffer suspension set-up if you ever decide to vacation where you may take the VX out for a little off-roading.

And if you still can't see yourself ridding the VX of the stock shocks, just keep the stock shocks in your garage, so you always have the option of switching back, however I think you will be much happier with the Rancho's. I wheel as much as I drive pavement, but even for me the 9000's make much more sense. And if you get the remote switching, it'll give you some extra dials to play with. Even if you don't ever wheel, it still would be nice to crank them a little tighter when driving on twisty roads away from the city.

VX KAT
10/01/2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I'm one of the ones that gave up on the hard ride of the OEM shocks. Got the Rancho "9000XLs" which has the 9 way adjustable settings. Works VERY well...on 0 or 1 I can float and bounce like a 1975 Cadillac, or turn 'em up to 9 and it gets much firmer, but still NOT quite as firm/hard as the OEMs. I left my OEM spings as is.

Also, there's about a 1000 negative online reviews about the in cab remote/controller...(ok maybe I'm exaggerating by a couple)...but it's apparently extremely failure prone....so I'd get the deal, then sell it immediately on ebay before it craps out.....should be able to pretty much cover the cost of all 4 new shocks!

I got mine at 4wheel parts about 1 1/2 yrs ago on a "buy one get one free" /rebate thing, ended up about $79 each I think total.

And I sold my old OEM shocks for $150 to another forum member.

Marlin
10/01/2010, 08:36 PM
Daly, don't feel as if you are removing a vital component of the VX, even though it was a heavily published component of the VX. Remember, this vehicle was built to win the Paris to Dakar race, and shock cooling is important in such a grueling race. Even those of us who do off-road, do not need the cooling function the stock shocks provide for an endurance rally. Your VX is a true rally vehicle, with very little changed from the concept that was initially produced, so it only makes sense to modify it for your situation.

The cool thing about the 9000's is that they have the ability to provide the stiff suspension that emulates stock, but with a twist of a dial (that can be operated remotely) you get a much more compliant ride that the city demands. The only thing you lose is the cooling feature, which only endurance racers need, not the average off-roader. You can set them softer for your everyday ride, but still have the option of a stiffer suspension set-up if you ever decide to vacation where you may take the VX out for a little off-roading.

And if you still can't see yourself ridding the VX of the stock shocks, just keep the stock shocks in your garage, so you always have the option of switching back, however I think you will be much happier with the Rancho's. I wheel as much as I drive pavement, but even for me the 9000's make much more sense. And if you get the remote switching, it'll give you some extra dials to play with. Even if you don't ever wheel, it still would be nice to crank them a little tighter when driving on twisty roads away from the city.

Wait, I am confused, I keep the shocks stiff for street driving, and dial em down soft for offroad to absorb the bumps and whatnot.

VX KAT
10/01/2010, 09:11 PM
Wait, I am confused, I keep the shocks stiff for street driving, and dial em down soft for offroad to absorb the bumps and whatnot.

Got my Rancho booklet right here....gives Front/Rear recommendation:

Highway 6/3
Sport 8/6
Work/tow/haul 6/8
Off-road 4/4

Marlin
10/02/2010, 04:15 AM
Got my Rancho booklet right here....gives Front/Rear recommendation:

Highway 6/3
Sport 8/6
Work/tow/haul 6/8
Off-road 4/4

Well looky there, the queen of organized info saves the day!!!:yes: I have no idea where my book is, but I keep mine at 9 in the front, and 6 or 7 in the rear. With the OME 919s, the rear is already pretty stiff.

Y33TREKker
10/02/2010, 06:25 AM
I've always been curious. Does the remote, in-cabin Rancho controller somehow connect to each individual shock with a mechanical line, or it is electro-mechanically servo based?

Marlin
10/02/2010, 06:28 AM
I've always been curious. Does the remote, in-cabin Rancho controller somehow connect to each individual shock with a mechanical line, or it is electro-mechanically servo based?

Here is the link to the install instructions. Pretty neat. Comes with all you need to make it work. Actually uses air! Comes with its own compressor...me want.

http://www.gorancho.com/assets/application_pdf/RanchoSuspension_96399d.pdf

rowhard
10/02/2010, 07:02 AM
Actually uses air! Comes with its own compressor...me want.

There you go Daly, you have a customer for the adjuster. Anyway, the 9000's work well and the settings Sue mentioned are about right. To eliminate nose dive, you do need them set pretty high for the front. Easy to adjust. Have been more then pleased with mine over the hard riding OEM's

RallyDude
10/02/2010, 10:54 PM
I reread my thread, and I think it still makes sense but to clarify here goes:
For city roads dial them softer, and if you know a road is really messed up, dial them even softer. For technical wheeling, dial them firmer, but if your on a fairly straight section with washboards, dial them softer to just absorb those bumps. On twisty roads firm them up, as it will reduce body lean and recovery, and make the corners more fun. If your carrying a big load you'll want to firm them up as well to eliminate that floating feeling. You'll find it will handle much better-- both cornering and braking, being able to adjust your suspension on-the-fly dependent on conditions.

I think the settings Sue posted are a good starting point, but play around with it and you'll define your own best settings. Don't think of it as sacrilege, on the contrary, most members would look at it as an upgrade.

RallyDude
10/02/2010, 11:00 PM
I had a friend that had an aftermarket (non-rancho, but I can't recall the name) set-up with little servos on the shocks, it was electrically controlled, and his worked fine. So maybe there is other options out there if Rancho has a reliability issue.

Mile High VX
10/03/2010, 01:53 PM
I had a friend that had an aftermarket (non-rancho, but I can't recall the name) set-up with little servos on the shocks, it was electrically controlled, and his worked fine. So maybe there is other options out there if Rancho has a reliability issue.

Lots of the Tuner crowd uses a servo that spin the dial on the shocks instead of the air control that was already mentioned. Seems to be very reliable from what I have read on other forums. I typically find them used with Tein suspension components and they make nothing for the VX.

Luna X
10/03/2010, 02:02 PM
Lots of the Tuner crowd uses a servo that spin the dial on the shocks instead of the air control that was already mentioned. Seems to be very reliable from what I have read on other forums. I typically find them used with Tein suspension components and they make nothing for the VX.

Yup... I have the Tein electronically controlled suspension on my Z. I keep it on the so-called softest setting, but I could tune it right from inside.

I tried it once on the stiffest setting and it felt like it was welded solid.... ouch! ;)

RallyDude
10/03/2010, 11:47 PM
So they don't work with the rancho's? It seems like the Rancho setup is more complicated than it needs to be.

vt_maverick
10/04/2010, 06:42 AM

Yup... I have the Tein electronically controlled suspension on my Z. I keep it on the so-called softest setting, but I could tune it right from inside.

I tried it once on the stiffest setting and it felt like it was welded solid.... ouch! ;)

Was just about to suggest Tein, their electronically controlled kit was pretty much identical between the G35 and Z, and I did a lot of drooling over that kit. Too bad they don't make anything for the VX, I can't recall a single person complaining of reliability problems with them. I know they sponsor some of the drift competitions so maybe they are only in that segment.

Marlin
10/12/2010, 04:57 AM
I knew I saw the free wireless kit! Here is the link, its an awesome deal:
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/20A50516A1.aspx

PittVXr
10/12/2010, 06:01 AM
Pepboys is having a "Shocktober" sale this month. Buy 3 and get the 4th shock free (Via mail in Rebate) The Rancho RS9000XL are listed.

http://www.pepboys.com/featured_products/monroe_shocks_and_struts_shocktober

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 06:11 AM
Wonder whether this or the free wireless controller that Marlin listed is a better deal?

etlsport
10/12/2010, 06:12 AM
Pepboys is having a "Shocktober" sale this month. Buy 3 and get the 4th shock free (Via mail in Rebate) The Rancho RS9000XL are listed.

http://www.pepboys.com/featured_products/monroe_shocks_and_struts_shocktober

"shocktober" is a tenneco promotion. should work anywhere you can buy monroe or rancho shocks/struts, we are doing it at work too

Marlin
10/12/2010, 08:27 AM
Wonder whether this or the free wireless controller that Marlin listed is a better deal?

Well, maybe you can double dip....
The controller is 250 bucks, where as a shock is only 99 bucks...you do the math.

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 08:59 AM
But if the controller is crap as others mentioned...

Marlin
10/12/2010, 09:27 AM
But if the controller is crap as others mentioned...

I am not sure about this new wireless one they have. I would be willing to make a deal with someone, I will pay them the price of the 4th shock, mail me the controller, I will install it and test it out. That way everyone wins.

RallyDude
10/13/2010, 08:31 PM
That would be cool. I'd like to know if the new remote feature works better. It's a great deal Marlin is offering someone who has the Ranchos, and was looking for a remote.