Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sacrilege?

Sacrilege?

I know that alot of people on this site are lucky enough to have off roading near them and that is why they have a VX. I live in NY city and off roading is not really an option. I have a VX for driving in the snow, bad weather in general, and of course because it is the coolest looking vehicle even after 10 years.
    Question is in NY the roads are pitifull and the ride of the VX to say the least is bumpy. My VX rides like the truck it probably was made to be. I can't tell you how many times I have hit my head on the roof.
    Anyone change the shocks and spring set up to be more user friendly for regular street use?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quite a few members have changed shocks...Rancho 9000 seem to work well for those that have them...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ghlight=shocks
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Thumbs down New york city streets

Are hellcto drive on.

I also live in the " GREAT CITY " as well and had my OEM shocks replace not because of the bumpy ride,but because one of my shocks just give up.

The solution is to ask Sr bloommer to fix all streets after illegally running for a 3ed term instead of we the tax payers to spend money to replace suspension parts.
    Sorry for the tread jack.

Ranchos have couple of shocks suitable for our VX i am on the 5000 seriess,alonng with those shocks upgrading the OEM bridgetone tires for an sotfer tires really helps

By the way,where do you live ?

I lives in queens
    Dakar was just the begining.

x2 on the Rancho 9000s, they are actually doing a deal right now, free remote air ride control with 4 9000s. That gives you the ability to dial the shocks to a softer ride, or stiffer pending conditions. 4 wheel parts was have a huge sale a month ago, I got 4 of em for around 60 each IIRC. They are normally around 100ish each.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I wonder if the remote controller is any good. I saw some comments here where members had some problems, but they were old threads - maybe right after MyRide came out.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    I wonder if the remote controller is any good. I saw some comments here where members had some problems, but they were old threads - maybe right after MyRide came out.
    Who cares, its free If you don't want it, wait a few months and put it on ebay, I think they are a couple hundred bucks normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Who cares, its free If you don't want it, wait a few months and put it on ebay, I think they are a couple hundred bucks normally.
    Hey.... great idea! (Gulp, I'm seeing it priced around $250.)

Daly, don't feel as if you are removing a vital component of the VX, even though it was a heavily published component of the VX. Remember, this vehicle was built to win the Paris to Dakar race, and shock cooling is important in such a grueling race. Even those of us who do off-road, do not need the cooling function the stock shocks provide for an endurance rally. Your VX is a true rally vehicle, with very little changed from the concept that was initially produced, so it only makes sense to modify it for your situation.

The cool thing about the 9000's is that they have the ability to provide the stiff suspension that emulates stock, but with a twist of a dial (that can be operated remotely) you get a much more compliant ride that the city demands. The only thing you lose is the cooling feature, which only endurance racers need, not the average off-roader. You can set them softer for your everyday ride, but still have the option of a stiffer suspension set-up if you ever decide to vacation where you may take the VX out for a little off-roading.

And if you still can't see yourself ridding the VX of the stock shocks, just keep the stock shocks in your garage, so you always have the option of switching back, however I think you will be much happier with the Rancho's. I wheel as much as I drive pavement, but even for me the 9000's make much more sense. And if you get the remote switching, it'll give you some extra dials to play with. Even if you don't ever wheel, it still would be nice to crank them a little tighter when driving on twisty roads away from the city.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Yeah, I'm one of the ones that gave up on the hard ride of the OEM shocks. Got the Rancho "9000XLs" which has the 9 way adjustable settings. Works VERY well...on 0 or 1 I can float and bounce like a 1975 Cadillac, or turn 'em up to 9 and it gets much firmer, but still NOT quite as firm/hard as the OEMs. I left my OEM spings as is.

Also, there's about a 1000 negative online reviews about the in cab remote/controller...(ok maybe I'm exaggerating by a couple)...but it's apparently extremely failure prone....so I'd get the deal, then sell it immediately on ebay before it craps out.....should be able to pretty much cover the cost of all 4 new shocks!

I got mine at 4wheel parts about 1 1/2 yrs ago on a "buy one get one free" /rebate thing, ended up about $79 each I think total.

And I sold my old OEM shocks for $150 to another forum member.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    Daly, don't feel as if you are removing a vital component of the VX, even though it was a heavily published component of the VX. Remember, this vehicle was built to win the Paris to Dakar race, and shock cooling is important in such a grueling race. Even those of us who do off-road, do not need the cooling function the stock shocks provide for an endurance rally. Your VX is a true rally vehicle, with very little changed from the concept that was initially produced, so it only makes sense to modify it for your situation.

The cool thing about the 9000's is that they have the ability to provide the stiff suspension that emulates stock, but with a twist of a dial (that can be operated remotely) you get a much more compliant ride that the city demands. The only thing you lose is the cooling feature, which only endurance racers need, not the average off-roader. You can set them softer for your everyday ride, but still have the option of a stiffer suspension set-up if you ever decide to vacation where you may take the VX out for a little off-roading.

And if you still can't see yourself ridding the VX of the stock shocks, just keep the stock shocks in your garage, so you always have the option of switching back, however I think you will be much happier with the Rancho's. I wheel as much as I drive pavement, but even for me the 9000's make much more sense. And if you get the remote switching, it'll give you some extra dials to play with. Even if you don't ever wheel, it still would be nice to crank them a little tighter when driving on twisty roads away from the city.
    Wait, I am confused, I keep the shocks stiff for street driving, and dial em down soft for offroad to absorb the bumps and whatnot.

Wait, I am confused, I keep the shocks stiff for street driving, and dial em down soft for offroad to absorb the bumps and whatnot.
    Got my Rancho booklet right here....gives Front/Rear recommendation:

Highway 6/3
    Sport 8/6
    Work/tow/haul 6/8
    Off-road 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Got my Rancho booklet right here....gives Front/Rear recommendation:

Highway 6/3
    Sport 8/6
    Work/tow/haul 6/8
    Off-road 4/4
    Well looky there, the queen of organized info saves the day!!! I have no idea where my book is, but I keep mine at 9 in the front, and 6 or 7 in the rear. With the OME 919s, the rear is already pretty stiff.

I've always been curious. Does the remote, in-cabin Rancho controller somehow connect to each individual shock with a mechanical line, or it is electro-mechanically servo based?

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    I've always been curious. Does the remote, in-cabin Rancho controller somehow connect to each individual shock with a mechanical line, or it is electro-mechanically servo based?
    Here is the link to the install instructions. Pretty neat. Comes with all you need to make it work. Actually uses air! Comes with its own compressor...me want.

http://www.gorancho.com/assets/appli...ion_96399d.pdf

Actually uses air! Comes with its own compressor...me want.
    There you go Daly, you have a customer for the adjuster. Anyway, the 9000's work well and the settings Sue mentioned are about right. To eliminate nose dive, you do need them set pretty high for the front. Easy to adjust. Have been more then pleased with mine over the hard riding OEM's
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.