PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs

etlsport
07/16/2009, 07:26 AM
looking to do my spark plugs today.. just want to make sure its actually an easy a job as it sounds... 2 screws to remove the ignition coil, a spark plug socket on long extensions to remove the old ones, just check the gap on the spark plugs to 0.040 lube up the threads and boot then torque em down to 13ft lbs?

that sounds too easy...

also just out of curiousity, what type of plug is everyone using.. im torn between the denso iridium 16 and the bosch platinum +4

Ldub
07/16/2009, 07:34 AM
You'll also need some sort of flex/U-joint type tool thing to get at the driver side rear...:_wrench:

FWIW, I prefer iridium.

circmand
07/16/2009, 07:36 AM
The back plugs are a b&*^% to get to and install Just get a tune up that includes spark plugs it will be better all around

ojmagg
07/16/2009, 07:45 AM
Don't use too much grease, as it can cause misfires...

I used Denso's...

deermagnet
07/16/2009, 07:52 AM
It's so easy. I just replaced mine for the third time on Saturday. I use NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11. They come already gapped correctly. $10 each at Advance Auto. The Denso IK16's have an ultra fine 0.4mm electrode that only lasts about 30K miles. The plats will go for 100K, but I change mine at 50K 'cuz it's so cheap 'n easy.

The ones out in the open take about two minutes each to change. The #5 on the pass side takes just a little longer. The #6 is the only tough one, but not too bad. This is how I get at #6. I use 1/2" drive, which is my way. I have the 1/2" plug socket, then a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8", then a 3/8" universal joint, then about a 3" extension. I wrap duct tape around the joints so the whole thing stays together. Ya don't wanna leave anything down there outta sight. That brings it up just above the tube for a 3/8" rachet.

It's really a very easy job.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

circmand
07/16/2009, 09:23 AM
It's so easy. I just replaced mine for the third time on Saturday. I use NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11. They come already gapped correctly. $10 each at Advance Auto. The Denso IK16's have an ultra fine 0.4mm electrode that only lasts about 30K miles. The plats will go for 100K, but I change mine at 50K 'cuz it's so cheap 'n easy.

The ones out in the open take about two minutes each to change. The #5 on the pass side takes just a little longer. The #6 is the only tough one, but not too bad. This is how I get at #6. I use 1/2" drive, which is my way. I have the 1/2" plug socket, then a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8", then a 3/8" universal joint, then about a 3" extension. I wrap duct tape around the joints so the whole thing stays together. Ya don't wanna leave anything down there outta sight. That brings it up just above the tube for a 3/8" rachet.

It's really a very easy job.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

More than 10 words to explain is not easy.

etlsport
07/16/2009, 10:43 AM
The back plugs are a b&*^% to get to and install Just get a tune up that includes spark plugs it will be better all around

ehh.. i cant see paying $75 bucks in labor for something i can do myself..

thanks for the tips guys, sounds easy enough, ive got all the tools necessary.. decided to wait on buying the plugs though a retailer at work so i can get em at cost.. i was expecting the plugs to be like 2-3 a piece.. at 7 its worth waiting a day to get em cheaper

tom4bren
07/16/2009, 06:07 PM
I'd post pix of the process but ...

etlsport
08/04/2009, 01:44 PM
havent done it yet.. ive been trying to find a part number for the bosch platinum +4 plug but nobody seems to have a listing for the VX or trooper? anyone with them remember which number you needed?

pbkid
08/04/2009, 02:02 PM
etl, just a personal note...

i would never use anything but NGK in my japanese vehicles.

they are designed for japanese vehicles and work the best with japanese vehicles...

tried the bosch platinum 4+ one time in my integra...within a week i went back to the parts store to get NGK's due to the misfiring, lack of power and oil consumption the bosch's had...

samneil2000
08/04/2009, 04:16 PM
tried the bosch platinum 4+ one time in my integra...within a week i went back to the parts store to get NGK's due to the misfiring, lack of power and oil consumption the bosch's had...

I'm not picking or anything, but how does a spark plug cause oil consumption? In my opinion, only two things can cause oil consumption: oil getting past the valves, and oil getting past the rings.
Just wondering. I've been wrong before, once. :bgwb:

deermagnet
08/04/2009, 08:05 PM
havent done it yet.. ive been trying to find a part number for the bosch platinum +4 plug but nobody seems to have a listing for the VX or trooper?
If ya do a Google search for Bosch Isuzu it seems like #4417 is the plug, maybe. Some people here have been happy with the 4+ in their VX.

Mark

etlsport
08/18/2009, 04:06 PM
just did 5/6 spark plugs in a touch over 15 minutes.. i was about to tackle the drivers side spark plug closest to the firewall but a big storm moved in real quickly so i packed it in first and just in time.. so ill take care of that one tomorrow..

i ended up going with NGK Platinum plugs thanks to pbkid's advice

Knigh7s
08/18/2009, 04:32 PM
I'm running the NGK Platinum plugs myself and also use them in the eclipse. That last one was a pita, but a little patience and you can get it in no prob...

[EDIT]: I just dug out the NGK boxes from the garage, I actually have the NGK Iridium IX, not the Platiums...

WormGod
08/19/2009, 07:50 AM
I am seeing more and more iridium plugs on the market. Knowing it is rarer than platinum (in plugs at least), it is still priced cheaper than the plats. :confused:

I am "told" by some local fellow gearheads that they use irids because they are more heat tolerable than plats. The majority of these guys run juice too so maybe they are on to something. If there is any shred of truth to this, I just dont't see the S/C generating that much more heat for plugs to need, heh. *shrug*

Regardless, I use NGK Plats. Seen them anywhere between $8 - $12.

etlsport
08/19/2009, 02:43 PM
i paid 3.33 per for my ngk platinums.. it was gonna be like 13 per for the iridiums so i didnt bother.. got the 6th one finished.. runs smooth.. pretty sure a little quieter, which i was not expecting, no real difference in pickup though

VX KAT
02/06/2010, 03:01 PM
OK, 3 hrs 45 mins and we're done! :rollo: ,....and didn't have to email Dub even once! Might take you 2 mins each, but I'm a little ...shall we say,.... slow...:mbrasd:
Changed all 6 spark plugs to NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11 as Mark listed above. The old Champions that the PO had in look pretty terrible to me, rusty, corroded or blackened in some areas. Dang, I was so hoping that the PO had taken better care of my VX, maybe not :_thinking:_thinking at least in this area.

Only dropped one socket wrench...landed on the nifty Kilby skid plate! :rollo: Dave played let's contort our body like monkey to get it back from underneath. He's a good man!:heart:

Sounds like it runs smoother and a tad quieter...she's purrin' now!

I did manage to do most of it myself...Dave would come check on me about every 20 mins ....see if I needed some muscle....I did :mbrasd:..Sure found out Dave has a ton more tools than I realized...he came up with every u-joint, socket, spark plug puller, etc...we needed. Everything went much smoother AFTER we taped the extensions together on the socket thing...thanks Mark!
Dave's never seen spark plugs so far down....well, now he has.

Can't wait to check it out and see pick up and MPG....but who cares, it's all good! Ahhh, the pride & satisfaction that I did something myself! :thumbup:

What do you think of the condition of these spark plugs?
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSC_1375.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16727)

Ldub
02/06/2010, 10:25 PM
OK, 3 hrs 45 mins and we're done! :rollo: ,....and didn't have to email Dub even once! Might take you 2 mins each, but I'm a little ...shall we say,.... slow...:mbrasd:
Changed all 6 spark plugs to NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11 as Mark listed above.

Only dropped one socket wrench...landed on the nifty Kilby skid plate! :rollo: Dave played let's contort our body like monkey to get it back from underneath. He's a good man!:heart:

Sounds like it runs smoother and a tad quieter...she's purrin' now!

I did manage to do most of it myself...Dave would come check on me about every 20 mins ....see if I needed some muscle....I did :mbrasd:..Sure found out Dave has a ton more tools than I realized...he came up with every u-joint, socket, spark plug puller, etc...we needed. Everything went much smoother AFTER we taped the extensions together on the socket thing...thanks Mark!
Dave's never seen spark plugs so far down....well, now he has.

Can't wait to check it out and see pick up and MPG....but who cares, it's all good! Ahhh, the pride & satisfaction that I did something myself! :thumbup:

Good job Sue...:thumbup:.:_wrench: You're becoming quite the little wrench...:yesgray:

Few things in life are as satisfying as doing it yourself...:dance:

BTW, did you check the gap, to make suer it was .040 (IIRC) before you installed the new plugs?...:naughty:

VX KAT
02/07/2010, 10:23 AM
Good job Sue...:thumbup:.:_wrench: You're becoming quite the little wrench...:yesgray:

Few things in life are as satisfying as doing it yourself...:dance:

BTW, did you check the gap, to make suer it was .040 (IIRC) before you installed the new plugs?...:naughty:
Thanks! :thanx: It was kind of "fun" as I love learning how things work...but I can definitely see how being taller would make it a lot easier! Ya gotta picture me on a 2 step stool, leaning way over the engine, trying to get to those 2 back plugs, and make sure A) I didn't loose my balance (a very real possibility!), B) I didn't fall in, and C) I didn't break something else in the engine bay leaning on it, D) I didn't drop any more tools which would land on the skid plate, and E) I didn't hit the hood support pole and end up decapitating myself! It wasn't pretty! :laugho:

No, I relied on Mark deermagnet that said they were pre-gapped correctly...and the box said not to adjust them....hope that was correct...

Hey, it started & ran afterwards, doesn't that mean it was successful??? :bgwb:

deermagnet
02/07/2010, 02:42 PM
Good job, Sue! Next time you'll change the front ones in two minutes, no problem. :yesy:

I checked the gap on a couple and it was fine, and the box does say not to adjust 'em.

Those old plugs look like they've been in there a very long time. I checked the Champion site and at least they are the right platinum plugs for a VX. One new owner pulled the plugs and found the last owner used plain non-plat Champion's at about $1.50 each! Anyone buying a VX should pull at least one plug right away and see what type are in there and their condition.

Mark

Ldub
02/07/2010, 10:36 PM
No, I relied on Mark deermagnet that said they were pre-gapped correctly...and the box said not to adjust them....hope that was correct...

Hey, it started & ran afterwards, doesn't that mean it was successful??? :bgwb:

I'm sure you'll be fine...:yesgray:

I'm just too anal when it comes to stuff like that...:rolleyesg.:mbrasd:

tom4bren
02/08/2010, 07:54 AM
What do you think of the condition of these spark plugs?

They look nermal - just used up.

deermagnet
02/08/2010, 03:10 PM
I forgot that the gap size is part of the part number on NGK plugs. The -11 on the end is for 1.1mm or .040". They have a protector on the plug in the box so they don't get knocked around and change the gap. It doesn't hurt to check 'em, but I always found the few I checked spot on.

I think Sue only has about 65K miles. That means those Champions were put in not too long after it was new. I wonder why the originals got changed out so soon? That's assuming the originals weren't Champion. :_confused

Mark

VX KAT
02/08/2010, 05:55 PM
I think Sue only has about 65K miles. That means those Champions were put in not too long after it was new. I wonder why the originals got changed out so soon? That's assuming the originals weren't Champion. :_confused

Mark

I was wonderin' the same thing. A dealer owned mine for about first year, then 2nd owner was almost 5 yrs, then sat at used car lot for a while, then me 12/08. My guess is, since mine was bone stock, PO had a shop tell him/her they needed it & replaced them with the cheap stuff. It spent it's entire life in Washington DC/VA area so do harsh winters cause need for more frequent tune ups?? I have no idea. :_thinking

MSHardeman
04/07/2010, 10:15 AM
Not to spark (:laughing: MAN, I am so effin' funny) another debate here, but I had to order my timing belt/ water pump replacement parts from Merlin the other day, so while I was at it I asked him about the spark plugs since they need to be changed too. He said that Denso's came in the VX originally so I had him send me what they use to replace the plugs in their shop. I figure since the original Denso's have lasted me almost 100k miles that they're good enough to go back in the old girl.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_Spark_Plug_05.JPG
Isuzu replacement Denso plugs. Denso K16PR-P11