PDA

View Full Version : ?? Clouded Headlights ??

vxDAKINECHICvx
02/05/2007, 01:48 PM
I've researched some threads and can't find anything on this.....
SOOO

My headlights look like they are clouded/scratched on the inside and after the lights have been on a while, they are extremely hot, so I'm figuring it might be due to that?? I can't figure out what else is causing them to look like that...anyone have an idea what caused it? How it can be prevented in the future? AND....how to get rid of the cloudiness?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Zorak
02/05/2007, 02:07 PM
Cloudiness on the inside usually means water has been getting in somewhere, unfortunately in that case, not a lot that you can do besides replacement.

Don't know why your headlights would be extremely hot. I mean the ones on your VX ;) (sorry), or whether there is a connection to cloudiness.

Did you replace the original bulbs with some aftermarket higher wattage ones?

Bimati
02/05/2007, 02:40 PM
Couple of things:

If the cloudiness is condensation (water), park in the sun on a warm, dry day and take both the headlight bulb and the horn bulb out. The low colorado humidity will evaporate anything on the inside of your headlight. I just did this because I washed the inside of my headlights out with distilled water (long story) and they were foggy afterwards. Worked great.

The other issue is, when you replaced your horn lights, did you use 194 biulbs or 168's? The 168's are too large and hot and will burn contact holes in the upper headlight allowing it to fog the area (this is the reason I replaced my headlights in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: One more (obvious) thing....look closely to make sure it's on the inside and not exterior weathering. Sometimes you have to look closely.

JHarris1385
02/05/2007, 03:03 PM
IndianaVX wrote a great how-to, clean up your headlights.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=26

or on the right colum on the page in the how to's

MZ-N10
02/05/2007, 03:39 PM
after u get the water out, try to seal any holes so it wont happen again.

k4tmc
02/05/2007, 03:52 PM
I just replaced my dim stock horn lights with some 11 watt Malibu bulbs from Home Depot.

Should I be worried about excessive heat in the horn?

Henry

2K1 1K2
02/05/2007, 04:45 PM
someone may correct me - but, i think that 11w may be a bit too warm for the horn.

11w seems more appropriate for the bumper's round indicators.

-jose

Bimati
02/05/2007, 05:05 PM
I just replaced my dim stock horn lights with some 11 watt Malibu bulbs from Home Depot.

Should I be worried about excessive heat in the horn?

Henry

I ruined two headlights trying to get brighter horns trying different bulbs....I'm sticking with 194's forever.

etlsport
02/05/2007, 05:21 PM
try LED horn lights, they dont heat up at all

Bimati
02/05/2007, 05:30 PM
I've tried many different LEDs in the horns and none I have found are as bright as filament 194's.....unfortunately....