Thread: Child seat tethering

Child seat tethering

I installed a new Britax car seat, rear facing, in my VX. The britax that I have has the "Versa-tether" system or somthing like that, that allows me to anchor the back of the car seat while rear facing. its a similar idea to the rear tether anchor system that we have a spot for....when forward facing.

my question...when using the "swedish tethering" method (http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/...tethering.html) is the spot where the rear seat strap clips into while folded up a strong enough spot? (right behind the center console)

Hmmm... I dunno, will have to let other more mechanically inclined folks speak to the strength issue. We have a Recaro child seat and I always use the shoulder belt, which seemed to provide more than enough support.

I use the shoulder belt as well. just a bit over cautious I guess....

belt and suspenders...

The VX has proven to be an amazingly easy vehicle to have a car seat in. In some cases easier than my wife's four door sedan. When my Son was in a "pumkin seat" I would leave the left seat folded forward and just slide him in and over and clip-clip...safe and sound. Now that he is in a convertible "big boy" car seat....I have the car seat rear facing and just fold the seat backwards and load him in, then move the seat back to the upright position. Its been great. Not quite sure what I am going to do when he is forward facing, but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

My son is forward facing and it should be fairly easy to load him up. Use shoulder belt to hold the base in and use the top tether over the back of the seat and tighten down. I had him in an 86' Firebird for a short period of time and he loved it and that seat wasnt going anywhere lol. You pulled on it and the whole car moved haha. He's in one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    ...Not quite sure what I am going to do when he is forward facing, but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
    I've actually found it to be really easy. We have her car seat on the passenger's side, so with the seat extender bars in place, all I do is slide the front seat forward, rest a knee on the floorboard, then set her in her seat. Super easy, and I actually like doing it that way a lot more than putting her in sideways the way you would in a four door vehicle.

Btw, she LOVES riding in the VX. I think the theater seating gives her a lot better view than she gets in the wife's Axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    and I actually like doing it that way a lot more than putting her in sideways the way you would in a four door vehicle.
    This fact has continued to pleasantly surprise me.