Thread: Hood insert thing.

Hood insert thing.

I would like additional instructions on repairing that hood insert thing. All the tabs are broken off, and it looks like someone tried to half *** glue it? I'm going to take some pictures and try to share them. I'm going insane here because I'm afraid to drive t like that if it catches air or something.

Step 1: Remove hood blanket (if yours still has it). I picked up a special pair of pliers from Harbor Freight that is great for removing those plastic fasteners without breaking them. On the other hand, I've also had pretty good luck just using a pair of needle nose pliers too. If your hood blanket is nasty, you can make it all purdy again by spraying it down with black Flex Seal (Rustoleum makes a similar product as well).

Step 2: Remove the windshield washer squirters. They go all the way through the hood and insert so they have to come off.

Step 3: Remove all 11 nuts that hold the insert in place. That includes the one(s) that are on the broken off studs. If you damage any of them, I think I have a few extras.

Step 4: Remove the insert from the hood. It should just lift out but if the Previous Owner tried gluing it in place, you may need to work at the glue with a plastic scraper or something. If you end up scratching the paint under the insert, don't forget to put some Rustoleum on to prevent rust.

Step 5: Place the insert upside down on a stable platform (lay an old blanket down so you don't scratch up the 'purdy side'.

Step 6: Clean the areas where the stud is supposed to be attached of all residual bonding. Also clean the head of the stud of any residual bonding. A box cutter will help to remove the big stuff but I also used a Dremel to clean it down to the white material so I'd get the best adhesion.

Step 7: Bond the stud back in place with your favorite flavor of epoxy. I highly recommend PC-7. You can get it at True Value. Home Depot is supposed to carry it too but I've never seen it in the store.

Step 8: Let the epoxy cure over night.

Step 9: Repeat Steps 1-4 in reverse order to re-install the insert. Only install the nuts snugly. You can break one if you try to tighten them too much (ask me how I know)

Let me know if you need any of the studs or if you need me to send you some PC-7.

Don't worry about the lifted corner going back into place. As soon as you thread the nuts back on, it'll settle into place quite nicely.

If your insert is faded, several people (myself included) have taken them into the bedliner place (LineX) and had it coated. It looks pretty nice.

BTW, if you really want an Isuzu emblem for your grill, I'd be willing to swap mine for your VX.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 10/09/2014 at 02:43 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by amplyprepared View Post
    I would like additional instructions on repairing that hood insert thing. All the tabs are broken off, and it looks like someone tried to half *** glue it? I'm going to take some pictures and try to share them. I'm going insane here because I'm afraid to drive t like that if it catches air or something.
    I had three of them loose, seen in the pic. Clean them up good, throw some bonding stuff on them. I used fiberglass stuff. All can be found in the paint section at home depot, by the JB weld. Jb weld or the gorilla stuff should all work. I use the clamps to hold them in place until the stuff cured.

Good to go...

Then do whatever you want to it. The center piece is forgiving, so have fun with it.

Rick,

Post a pic of that yellow insert installed. I'd like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Rick,

Hood is going black and center yellow.... just playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Rick,

Great job so far brother. I'll come up and help you with the rest if you want. I know it would be easier with two people. I'm free thursday and Friday