Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First offroading trip...WOW (with pics)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

First offroading trip...WOW (with pics)

I took the VX (also named Susie) offroading for the first time a couple days ago on a fairly easy trail about 30 minutes away from my house. All I can say is WOW !!! I sold a 6" lifted Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires for "Susie" and I am so happy I did. The VX totally destroyed my old Jeep, even with much smaller tires (31.5"). I didn't even use 4 low because the TOD was working so well. Since I bought Susie from a member here two weeks ago, I have been dying to take it out and see what everyone has been talking about. THANK YOU VX'ers , I researched through this forum a lot before buying.

The only offroading issue I can think of is clearance and thats why I plan on going up in tire size a little ~32 inches. I just have to decide on 16" or 18" rims. Any ideas?

Here are some pics, It's a difficult trail but I only got through the easier part before running out of time. I will post another set of pictures when i actually go through the hard parts.

weee.. looks like you had fun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Beast on the wild open

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I took the VX (also named Susie) offroading for the first time a couple days ago on a fairly easy trail about 30 minutes away from my house. All I can say is WOW !!! I sold a 6" lifted Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires for "Susie" and I am so happy I did. The VX totally destroyed my old Jeep, even with much smaller tires (31.5"). I didn't even use 4 low because the TOD was working so well. Since I bought Susie from a member here two weeks ago, I have been dying to take it out and see what everyone has been talking about. THANK YOU VX'ers , I researched through this forum a lot before buying.

The only offroading issue I can think of is clearance and thats why I plan on going up in tire size a little ~32 inches. I just have to decide on 16" or 18" rims. Any ideas?

Here are some pics, It's a difficult trail but I only got through the easier part before running out of time. I will post another set of pictures when i actually go through the hard parts.
    Very nice shots you got there.

There's a nice thread named : Please post all rims & tires.

In that thread you can tease your self looking at so many set ups by members here & over seas.
    Last edited by Moncha : 07/22/2009 at 09:17 PM Reason: Removed Photos from Quote
    Dakar was just the begining.

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the mountains! Congrats on your first trip. Hope to see you on the 21st of August. I'm sure gonna try to get there also!
    Scott / moncha.com

Nice pictures.

If you go with 18s, might I suggest going with the Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18. It's the perfect tire for the VX. Next, do you have a lift on it already? For about $140, you can purchase larger springs (OME 912 Springs), and crank the torsion bars to give you a 2.5 - 3.0 lift.

Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    I might add you got the best color for the VX too!
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    That head on pic with the blue sky and clouds...

(maybe lighten it up / adjust contrast just a tad in fotochop...its calendar stuff !)

Welcome to the obsession !

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Looks like fun and your vx looks great!

Ive done mine 3 times round the coast - gravel round etc
    And thats all ive done in the time ive owned it which is around 8 months

Nice pictures, and beautiful scenery. Colorado appears to be more 4x4 friendly than Washington State, as the U.S.F.S. loves to put barricades on access trails to mountain summits in WA.

If you decide to go for 18" rims, a perfect 32" O.D. tire would be the GENERAL - GRABBER AT2 in P275/65R18 (32" O.D./44 lbs). This incredible lightweight AT tire is snowflake/mountain rated; pre-pinned for studs (if desired), has a deep 17/32nds tread depth and sells for only $150 each while giving you 1.25" more ground clearance over stock. If mounted on the stock OEM 18x7 rims; they are bolt-on perfect with only minor front trimming without any lifting or front torsion bar cranks, thereby preventing possible CV issues caused by lifting.

If you're looking for OEM 18x7 rims, I have a complete set of 4 wheels for sale at $290. Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the addiction. Thanx for sharing your pictures with us and we look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 07/23/2009 at 04:34 AM

I love the head-on shot too. Plus I am so jealous, my nearest mountain is Mount Dora (inside joke for Floridians) elevation maybe 40 ft above sea level. To scrape a rock here I will have to lower the VX to about curb high.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Well, if you're going to come to Colorado to enjoy our trees, you'd better hurry. Shot 3 looks like the hillside was covered with beetle-killed trees.

That was from the infestation from about 10 years ago.. That area is making a good comeback..

Damn those Beetles, they shoulda never let VW's off-road. Runnin into the trees and s__t. Seriously, I hope those trees aren't dying. Sorry for the .

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I took the VX (also named Susie) offroading for the first time a couple days ago on a fairly easy trail about 30 minutes away from my house. All I can say is WOW !!! I sold a 6" lifted Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires for "Susie" and I am so happy I did. The VX totally destroyed my old Jeep, even with much smaller tires (31.5").
    A former Jeep owner praising a stock VX over a lifted Jeep. This is something for the records for sure. All last week I had to listen to my friend from Chicago bitch about the Trooper (in that case, rightly so because it is a tired old 2.8V6) but at the same time I had to listen to him tell me that a stock Wrangler could out wheel any Isuzu and how a stock Jeep could do the Rubicon with no problem and how my VX could never do the Rubicon and blah blah blah...

Right on, brutha!

Bart

Every time I see pics of you guys wheeling out West it makes me want to pull up stakes and move there. You get to drive through some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. It didn't bother me as much when I was able to hike and mountain bike my way back into the few remaining hinterlands around here but now that I am physically unable to do that it sure would be nice to take a "hike" via the VX. Can't do that in a National Park or National Forest here though! Gotta keep it on the road! The Powers That Be limit ORVs to three or four small patches of ground in this state. I call them swill-holes because whenever I've been to one and seen the 4-wheelers playing it always reminds me of pigs confined to a small pen rolling around in the mud.

You guys enjoy the access to wide open spaces while you can. The winds of change are blowing. It seems the Powers That Be are slowly but surely eliminating cross country routes and coralling you freedom-loving little piggies into pens too...

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    You guys enjoy the access to wide open spaces while you can. The winds of change are blowing. It seems the Powers That Be are slowly but surely eliminating cross country routes and coralling you freedom-loving little piggies into pens too...
    Yeah, it's definitely changing. And just as always, its really a result of a few careless bad apples ruining it for everyone else. You have no idea how much it bothers me to find areas out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where someone just decided to dump a bag of trash or leave a pile of beer bottles. There is just no excuse for it and it is those people who eff it up for everyone else. Not to mention all the folks who cut new trails in there "thrill craft" and get all the environmentalist fired up.

The truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter how much you try, you still have a negative impact simply by being a living breathing human. So like you said, enjoy it while you can...

Bart