Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Nuke VX build thread

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by VXobsession View Post
    Why didn't you just do this to a Jeep? You hacked up a rare VX and just turned it into a big off-roading machine....you stripped everything out of it that made it unique, that made it a real VX. That sucks....another VX gone.
    I think if you start at the beginning of the thread it makes sense as he started with an abused VX with engine issues. It had been sitting idle for over a year, so in essence it was already gone. Cost more to fix than you would ever get back.

Congrats on the build....it's looking good and he's taken a "dead" VX and brought it back to usefulness...hats off!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Yeah, those previous guys can kiss my ***** right in the crack! I've always appreciated the quality of Isuzu vehicles but there are SEVERE limitations as to building it for serious off-roading (not trail-riding). If you are really impressed by V6 engines and IFS, there are a ton of CUV's out there - but you have to compete with the soccer moms too. It is totally the LOOKS of the vehicle that garner it's attention getting. I've retained those looks for the most part inside and out. The fender flares will have to be modified once the clearance issues are worked out.

Why not do this to a Jeep? Well, for most Jeeps, you have to upgrade the: engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, wheels, tires, etc. That amounts to just starting with a Jeep tub and replacing everything else, but then you have another Jeep (again in name only). Jeep tough with Chevy stuff? What is so unique about that?

Mile High is right? Didn't you pay attention to the first pics? I found a VX for $1000 BECAUSE it was severely abused and neglected with a bad engine. Once I decided that 37" tires were my smallest for consideration for my off-roading, then it dictates upgrading everything else in the driveline - including a CSB V8. (I had enough gear-hunting when driving my Trooper on the interstates with 40mph headwinds.)

As I can't drive it 2 miles to a nearby field without someone following me (or pulling me over - thanks Ozark PD and FD) to see what that awesome vehicle is, I think I've got the mix that I want. That is why it is MY build. Go ahead and add an after-market stereo and ArmorAll the panels. You will have an original. There is certainly a crowd for that. I want to get back to serious off-roading, V8, mechanical linkages, solid axles, and large tires! We can park our vehicles side-by-side sometime and see who gets more walk-arounds...

(If you don't like it now, don't check back. By the end of the summer, I will have completed welding classes and will begin adding some armor to the outside.)

I'm cool with the fact he did this to an already beat up VX. If this were to done to a very good/nearmint VX I would be having a serious headache right now. LOL! Its his anyway, he can do what he wants.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Unique vehicles attract unique owners with unique tastes, hence why there are virtually no common aftermarket mods to these trucks beyond the factory cross bars. There just aren't enough of us in agreement on any one given look to make it profitable. As someone said in another thread the front VXC/rowhard faux skidplate is one of the few items that seems to have been a really big hit with a lot of owners.

You can see from the thread that a lot of members disagree with various decisions that have been made along the way, whether philosophical or mechanical. But the bottom line is that this thread contributes to the overall knowledge of the community which is always a good thing. Maybe there aren't a ton of people that would ever consider this entire series of mods, but there are a number of people that say they're interested in V8 swaps and several that have talked at length about roll bars. I applaud the risk taking that makes the community smarter as a whole.

Thumbs up Thumbs up to ya sleveritt.

sleveritt, great job Mae, looks like a VX on roids . Just 2 questions, whats a CUV? and did you just compare ever1's VX to a soccer moms vehicle?

VXObsession, man you're blunt. Not ragging at ya for to each there own, and freedom of speech is beautiful, but dang Mae your more blunt then a rasta.
    Last edited by CoastieCosta567 : 04/16/2012 at 12:41 PM

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I love the build, the orange is a little much for me but SAS, V8, roll cage, 37" MT/Rs ... man you did a ton of cutting to fit those 37s. Totally worth it.

I'm sure your VX looks like a monster. Speaking of which... where are the updated exterior pics? This build thread needs a good shot of your VX to show off the size and tire fitment.

Not orange, red

It's not really orange, the flash from the camera bleaches it out. It truly is red. It's cloudy today but I will try to get it out in the sun tomorrow to get some exterior shots. As such, I'll still need to take it to a nearby berm to see if I can get any of the tires to contact the body. If so, more cutting on the way (the bottom parts were rusty already). Once the fenders are clear, then I'll have to trim the plastic fender flares to match. Once my axle vents come in and get those installed, then it's break-in time on some mild trails. Increase terrain to make sure everything works well in incremental steps.

CUV = Cross-over Utility Vehicle (car-based unibody)

No, I didn't compare everyone's VX to CUV's. The VX is more like a PUV = Performance Utility Vehicle (SUV on speed)! As to which "performance" you want, to each their own. From my time at 5 previous Zuzoo's in Moab, I was impressed with the out-of-the-box off-road performance I saw, but more could be done. Since I already wanted my current upgrades (even back in my Trooper days) when I discover this "donor" vehicle - a vision was born.

Those other guys were upset because I got rid of the IFS and V6 engine, supposedly the things that make the VX "unique". If that is all those guys were after, almost every CUV have those already and at least manufacturer support as they are current production models. More mainstream for the masses. No style, no unique body. Bland.

As noted, unique vehicles = unique people, don't be surprised by what you see. Look at it, not for you? Move on. Look at it, like it? Make a friend. Bitch about someone else's hard work, piss them off, cause a rift, make an enemy. I dare say members wouldn't act like that at a public event face-to-face, so what makes it acceptable online?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by sleveritt View Post
    It's not really orange, the flash from the camera bleaches it out. It truly is red. It's cloudy today but I will try to get it out in the sun tomorrow to get some exterior shots. As such, I'll still need to take it to a nearby berm to see if I can get any of the tires to contact the body. If so, more cutting on the way (the bottom parts were rusty already). Once the fenders are clear, then I'll have to trim the plastic fender flares to match. Once my axle vents come in and get those installed, then it's break-in time on some mild trails. Increase terrain to make sure everything works well in incremental steps.
    I've been trying to de-orange/red my interior for a while so I thought it was funny that your going in the opposite direction and adding more color. To each his own, I like the idea of going without carpets, I would just rhinoline it black or grey for my own look.

Really though your rig is great. I hope to get the SAS myself... someday

Looking forward to the Nuke VX pics.

Very Nice!

I have a 'mintish' 60K mile VX, and I would have no problem with this being done to it. I really don't see the VX becoming a 'valuable' collectors car. I think it's value from here on will be around the $10K - 12K mark. For even the mintest. (Maybe I'm wrong, I'd like to be) IMO It's still a VX, the body is what makes it a VX, not much else. (being shared components from Troopers, rodeos etc.)

My dream is a 4BT, or Isuzu 4BD1T transplant. I've flirted with selling the VX a number of times (because it doesn't get driven like it should) but I can never bring myself to let it go.

Great Build!

Quote Originally Posted by sleveritt View Post
    (If you don't like it now, don't check back. By the end of the summer, I will have completed welding classes and will begin adding some armor to the outside.)

Love it !

Please continue to add updates, it's amazing !!!

Wrench Some Flex and how red is it

Pretty good amount of droop on this side.

Some tuck on this side
    [img]

The amount of clearance with this amount of weight on it. This should do for now.

Here are some pics of just how red the interior really is.

First test

Unfortunately, there are no pics of my VX in action. Sadly, my younger brother had a bit of misfortune both days of wheeling (besides the 105 degree temperatures at Superlift in Hot Springs, AR in July).

So why no pics? The first day ended when he laid his Jeep over in an excessively deep mudhole that ultimately claimed his wife's iPhone 4S that he was using for pictures and videos. If it wasn't for the charging cord, he would have lost the phone all together.

Day #2 was basic wheeling on 3-5 diamond trails the again found my younger brother with his Jeep on it's side. His front driveshaft broke (no 4x4), his brakes were failing, and the radiator developed a leak that about emptied the coolant system. It took most of the day to drag him bag to civilization.

As for my VX, everything worked OK with the exception of some overheating issues. (I'm working on it.) Looks like I will still to perform some fender trimming on the rear as there was still rubbing issues.

That thing looks wicked sitting all tall like that!

Have you given any thought to making a list of necessities in doing a swap like this? I'm sure it's massive but maybe a general overview for us interested in it someday. I like the idea of planting a new f-150 4x4 drive line in it, one with the eco boost v6.

Man, that is a crazy VX!!! I love it! Granted, I don't think I would be so die-hard to do that to mine. I think I'm the type of person that would do small mods for now to make it unique to my tastes, but still keep most of the VX in tact. I got my VX from the original owner and he was really easy on it, so I want to baby it myself but still take the trails that it would normally be able to tackle with the gear it already has.

Where did you get those switches from that are showing in the interior next to your steering wheel? I was thinking about doing something like that when I mod in a TOD-off switch.

The list is extensive, yet simple.
    Work backwards from tire size.
    I did a bunch of calculations before I came to the realization that the tire size I wanted would not work with my axles.
    From there, choose axles that will fit reasonably close (Scout Dana 44 just a couple of inches off) or prepare for axle width customization.
    Don't forget to figure in where the differentials are in relation to the proposed transfer case (L/R/C front and rear).
    Get replacement engine measured to make sure it will fit between firewall and radiator, then between hood and proposed axle height. (This is the time to consider if you want A/C and where you can fit a battery too.)
    Get replacement transmission/transfer case measured to make sure it will fit to engine (with or without adapters) and the transmission tunnel.
    Fab up some engine mounts and modify transmission support.
    Suspension? Coil over springs are quite easy to fab and mount while accounting for shock placement.
    Get driveshaft lengths measured to find junkyard or order new ones.

The rest was just customizations - upgrade to chrome-moly axles shafts, ARB Lockers, aftermarket gauges, A/C, Tom Woods off-set U-joints, Warn locking hubs, roll bars, front/rear receiver hitches, winch, etc.