Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first car

My first car

I was 15 years old and searching for what would be my awesome ride. My old man has always been a car guy (most of my life he had 15+ vehicles and none were projects, none would go over 75k miles and rarely did he have a car over 5-7 years old...the age limits has changed since then). He would often go to Detroit in Jan for the auto show and check out the concepts and come back telling me about the super cool concept cars that everyone was dreaming up. Well, he was in a hard press to get me to check out everything and we test drove jeeps, volvos, an M3, all sorts of crap and I was kinda feeling the 80s to early 90s suburbans. I had been reading alot of Four Wheeler Magazine and Petersons 4 Wheel Drive. Dad came in one day and said, hey lets go look at this isuzu they have down a the dealership. Its different and quirky and kinda looks like you. I was hesitant and he showed me the Four Wheeler of the Year article (2000) in my magazine about this little car. Impressive. We went down and checked out the '99 Vehicross. It was used. 1,400 miles and still very nice. I was digging the isuzu pickup in the show room while dad talked. Finally we got the keys and went for a drive. Very tight drive. It seemed to handle as well as the BMW, porsche and Jags pops had, but it had 4 wheel drive, room to haul and a rugged appeal. I remembering stopping the car in a parking lot and we went ALL over it. We decided to drive back and negotiate. On Jan 4th, 2000, we bougth my isuzu vehicross.

We put a trailer hitch on it, electric brakes module, a rear facing camera (doesnt work anymore) and some fog lights on it. Other than that, she has stayed entirely stock the past 10 years. We did high school together, College together. She has battle scars for all my adventures and coke splatter stains on the ceiling from the two sonic Route 44's my highschool girlfriend spilled while avoiding a racoon. A hole in the back rug from hauling a car battery for my VW bug. I took her to Uwharrie once back in april 2006 with my now brother-in-law and rode along in his Troop. I plan on going back this October.

I met a guy in a white VX two years ago in WV at a toll plaza who stopped and talking to me and directed me to this web site. I plan on doing a few of the general repairs that I have lived with for the last 10 years (windows, ABS... I already fixed the CD player!). She has 126k miles and I just purchased a 2007 Frontier to reduce the stress on my VX cause I was driving lots of miles for work. She has now been sitting alot, but I cannot stand to let her go. She will be sitting tight for a while; no worries. I hope ya'll have enjoyed my story because I have enjoyed sharing it. But mostly, I have enjoyed having my VX for the past 10 years. I feel like I have had more than just transportation.

Well Volk i can actually relate to your story a little im 16 now and just got my vehicross about 2 months ago and it is my first car. I love this thing lol i really dont know whether to call it a car or truck yet cause its really neither... I love my "Catfish"... But im glad to see you have made it 10 years man

Congrats Volksnick, you're a luck son-of-a-***** to have had a VX for your first car. I remember having an '85 Mercury Cougar (ugly as sin but fast as ****; hence why I flipped it at 16 1/2 and ended up with a POS 1984 two-barrel 2.8L V6 Camaro).

WRT your Coke stain, try shooting it with Lifter 1 or Blue Magic carpet stain remover. I've had good success getting rid of old Coke stains with both of those. One tip, disregard the instructions on the back that tell you to wait a few seconds then sop (country boy term) up the excess with a paper towel. Instead just hose the carpet down and let it dry up on its own. Neither product will stain the material, and in my experience, the longer you let it sit the more effective they are at removing stains.

Cool story, and yeah, you were quite lucky. I had an 88 S-10 pickup with the whimpy 2.8 liter.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Nice write up for sure...my first car, as a senior in high school, was a 1969 Camaro with the 325 hp 350 cu in...

It was 8 years old and I gave a grand for it...wish I had it now.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

My first car was a 71 BMW2002 with a downdraft Weber45 with the stacks sticking strait up out of the hood and almost every day after school was racing some one "The older I get the better I was"

12 years today!!!

mY FIRST CAR(S)

First car was a 1968 AMC Javeline first car with a title 74 Ford Maverick
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Lucky bastards (except for circmand )

My first car was a '65 Plymouth Fury III station wagon. That's what I learned to drive on. The first car I owned was a '74 Duster - 225 slant 6 with 3 speed on the floor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    My first Car.....

.... a 1963.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My first car:

1999 Astral 0074, 2001 Proton, 1999 Ebony, 1999 Astral 0163
    My first car was a 1995 Mercury Topaz...basically a Tempo.....

I'm glad I didn't have a VX until later in life...I would've torn it up and wouldn't have had the driving experience I have now, hence never driving the VX to its fullest potential

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    My first Car.....

.... a 1963.

Jo
    EEEWWW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    My first car:
    Jerk

well Jo...same family same year same color....morris minor traveller (woody)

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    NICE..!!

Quote Originally Posted by VXjunky View Post
    well Jo...same family same year same color....morris minor traveller (woody)
    And I bet we both wish we still had them....
    ....a Woody Traveller in So Cal..perfect!

If I'd known how big Jumbo jets were gonna be..
    ....I'd of kept mine and toted it over here as carry on luggage

jo