Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new Daily Driver

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal

My new Daily Driver

Between the price of premium, my VX's 100k birthday, and Isuzu's American-marketus interruptus (and the associated parts supply situation), I decided that I needed a newer daily driver that would be fun to drive and a lot more painless at the pump. THIS is what I came up with:

(yeah, I know - crappy cell phone pic!)

It's a 2006 Mini Cooper S with sport & cold weather packages, plus the rare limited-slip differential. We had the dealer add the checkered-flag decal at my wife's insistence. I think it gives the car a bit of a toy-like appearance, but some people really seem to dig it. I will give it a chance for now, knowing that I can always remove the decal.

The VX is not going anywhere - we still have plenty of uses for it!

So when did I become such an "automotive extrovert"?!?!

Neat...My 13 year old daughter already has her eye on mini's. Looks cool....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Thumbs up

Nice mini, I hear they handle really well. I need to go test drive one.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

They're not bad, but over here they're hopelessly overpriced dealing mainly on "image" which is somewhat tarnished in my eyes byt the number used as mobile advertising for estate agents (realtors) or driven badly by rich-kid-daughters.

That siad, the actualy car's a hoot and were it not for the above then I'd consider one!

The roof looks good btw!

A

They are not quite the "chick cars" over here that they sounds like in UK (above comments notwithstanding ;-).

It can be driven quite mellow or with demonic intent. Yes, it handles - it just corners soooo flat! I am not even close to understanding the dynamics of this thing yet, or the limitations of the stability control system. Gotta get more seat-time in...

Thumbs up

kudos with your choice for the mini cooper type S. I had been shopping around for one for some time and they are pound for pound the best mpg vs ride quality/enjoyment in my oppinion. The safey is awesome which helps with insurance. I tried, but couldn't resist the xa's 5K cheaper sticker price. good luck with your new ride!

VehiGAZ,

Make sure to keep us up to date as you get more seat time in the Mini. I have been looking for a second car so I wouldn't have to drive my VX so much and it is down to another VX or a Mini Cooper. The Cooper looks like a blast and I am leaning that way right now so I would appreciate your thoughts on it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Will do.

I am learning that it is "Jeckyll-and-Hyde" adaptable - it is just as happy driving for max mileage (i.e., 1st-2nd-3rd-6th shifting) as well as for max fun, whipping into every corner and downshifting like you have no brakes. And it needs no transition to do it other than a 3-gear downshift. The LSD is a little lumpy in its operation compared to the one in my old Prelude SH, but what do you want at these prices?

As for safety, they are engineered quite well. A woman I work with got T-boned in her Mini convertible by an F-250 (!!!) and walked away without a scratch, as a passenger would have had one been in the car with her when it happened. Her car would have been totalled out if they had spotted all the damage ahead of time (but they didn't and she got it rebuilt), but she was perfectly fine.

I was hoping for 28 mpg in calm driving, but I have no idea yet - I didn't reset the trip odomoeter and gas mileage when I left the dealer, so it'll be a while before I can post real-life mileage. The average ecomony is showing 23.0 mpg, but I don't know what that is based on.

I think they are going to start selling really well - since the price of gas rose so sharply in the last 4-6 weeks, very, very few used ones have come on the market in a 50 mile radius from me.

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    Neat...My 13 year old daughter already has her eye on mini's. Looks cool....
    Bwahahahaha.... man, if that wasnt a blow to VehiGAZ's masculine disposition (and any other men who own one), hahahaha. I have a few buddies who have them and I love to throw the toy-chick car thing at them all the time. Just for fun, and they know it, as I get the lesbian-Subaru thing all the time, heh.

Congrats on the new addition V.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Bwahahahaha.... man, if that wasnt a blow to VehiGAZ's masculine disposition (and any other men who own one), hahahaha. I have a few buddies who have them and I love to throw the toy-chick car thing at them all the time. Just for fun, and they know it, as I get the lesbian-Subaru thing all the time, heh.

Congrats on the new addition V.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... I can handle the barbs - I figure if someone thinks that my VX and the 928 aren't masculine enough to carry the Mini, then there's just no pleasing them.

"the lesbian-Subaru thing"... THAT'S funny!

I drove a Mini Cooper S around as I was debating an extra car to purchase while the VX was at Aamco, and it was really really fun driving that car around!!!!! And my friend who let me borrow it wanted only $13k for it and it was hard to pass up, but the moment I test drove a RX-8 I feel in love with the smoothness of the rotary engine, and it handled far better than the Mini Cooper S (something pretty hard to do). If I had purchased the Cooper S I would've black it out completely (what is the slang term "murdered it") and purchased a body kit for it, maybe something like this:
    http://www.bodykits.com/249/286/672/...t-p-26623.html
    But I have liked the RX-8 so much that it gets the garage most of the time. I have put maybe 4k miles on it in 8 months.

Any update on your average mpg? Liking the mini still?

"If I had purchased the Cooper S"

Tires stick out a little too far for my taste.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "If I had purchased the Cooper S"

Tires stick out a little too far for my taste.
    huh?

Sorry - feeble attempt at humor - it's an 'offset from hell' thing