Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire In Roof Rack

Wrench Spare Tire In Roof Rack

I am tired of my full size spare sliding around in the back, especially with the rear seat removed. I have a nice roof rack I got from Kat which should hold it but I have never bothered to check how others hold the tire in the basket. I dont think letting it bouncing around in the rack is a good idea. I would hate to see the spare come over the windshield and put a big dent in my hood. What have you guys done? Is there a solid product or just home made, or tie downs or bungie cords?
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

I use the good, round bungies like these, 4 of them:

The generic rubber bungies will go to waste in the sun quickly. I also run a cable lock through my tire so it is secured to the rack. I've never had a problem with it moving around or bouncing.

If bungies leave you paranoid, then ratchet straps are the best.

Bart

Just my 2 cents...
    I like mine inside. 2 good ratchet straps criss crossed between the tie downs holds it secure even on the worst of my off road misadventures. The drawbacks to me with putting the tire up top is it is a pain in the butt getting a 70+ lbs tire up and down from there (thing solo on the side of the highway someplace)...muck easier to roll it out of the back. Plus, I don't have personal experience, but you have got to feel that weight way up high when you hit the curvies.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I am tired of my full size spare sliding around in the back, especially with the rear seat removed.
    Try slowing down before you enter a corner.

x2 on what Triathlete said. Get some "motorcycle tie-down straps" and anchor them to the tie-down points within the VX cargo area. If your back seat is removed, you can use the original rear seat mounting brackets as front anchor points if you replaced the pivot pins within the rear seat brackets.

Besides; if you put that full-size spare on the roof, your MPG is gonna' suck due to the blunt wind drag.

Not to knock on Bart, but I would never "secure" something with bungies. For street use, probably fine, but if you got in an accident or something, that bungie is gonna do its job and stretch, and it certainly isn't gonna stop 60lbs + of wheel and tire. Ratchet straps all the way! 5 bucks at harbor freight, and a lock is a good idea, I lock mine on the roof, and on the rear door.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I used the OEM spare tire bracket- placed it on the bottom side of the roof basket and ran a 2-3" bolt through it to the center of the spare rim. Also I fabbed a peice of plastic the size of the rim hub for the bolt to go through and hold the rim to the basket. Hard to explain and I don't have pictures but its pretty simple if you have the oem bracket. I can take of picture if you're interested.

Not sure if you bought Sue's Thule 695 from her, but if you did you might try this:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...a+spare&page=8

You can get the Yakima spare kit for $70-ish on the web, required fasteners for about $10 from Lowe's/Home Depot, and bit set (if you don't already have it) for no more than $20. It's more expensive than a bungee set but also a lot more heavy duty. I probably won't ever need the strength for offroading, but I'm pretty sure that if I roll my VX someday I won't be firing a 70 lb. projectile down the highway.

No, I got a Coleman rack included with one of my roof racks. Sold it to Circmand. I can't quite recall the spacing on the floor of the basket, but I think the Yakima spare tire holder could be made to fit, like Mav did.

I sure prefer having a couple chunks of steel holding my 78 lb wheel/tire combo rather than even a ratchet strap. When I was having some custom ratchet straps made (you know the one with purple paw prints on them...isn't that what everybody gets? )...the manufacturer had about 4 or 5 different products, made of a few different materials, some would actually stretch a few percentage points when wet, some would degrade faster in sun, some colors would run in rain, etc.. They were really inexpensive, even custom made.
    http://www.strapworks.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
    Here's the 6 different types explained:
    http://www.strapworks.com/webbing_an...brics_s/20.htm

So just saying "ratchet strap" generically, may not be enough. I'd certainly want to know that I had the strongest ones holding down my tire/wheel.
    I have the Yakima spare tire unit AND also a 2" wide polyester ratchet strap holding mine down. Can never be too safe. Bad enough that I've changed the center of gravity a bit by putting that weight up there, so I dayam sure want it to stay up there!

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks guys

I even checked autozone. Nothing seems premade. They have tons of plastic crap and chrome tape to PIMP your ride and nothingthat is functional or useful. I think I may check out a few yards and see if imagination strikes.

Don't know what rack or basket you have for your roof, but I have the Yakima Load Warrior and I use Yakima's spare tire carrier ( http://www.realcyclist.com/yakima-sp...8-001b2166becc ) to secure the tire to the basket. Once that thing is sinched down that tire isn't going anywhere, plus it has a place for a lock to keep it from wandering off.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

If I remember correctly (and Sue please let me know if I'm wrong here) the Coleman basket has bars rather than slats for it's flooring, which might work well with the Yakima spare tire kit. The only problem might be if the "hanger pieces" that wrap around the bars are too small, but you may not know that until you're actually looking at it in person. If the bars on the Coleman are of a similar diameter, you still may need to drill some new holes to attach the Yakima plate. But again you won't know until you compare the two racks and the kit.

If I were you (and not to volunteer Sue here ) I would meet up with Sue to compare your racks (that sounds pretty funny lol). Just take the Yakima kit off her spare and see if you can mate it up to your Coleman rack.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I have the Yakima Load Warrior and I use Yakima's spare tire carrier ( http://www.realcyclist.com/yakima-sp...8-001b2166becc ) to secure the tire to the basket. Once that thing is sinched down that tire isn't going anywhere, plus it has a place for a lock to keep it from wandering off.
    Yep, Mark that's the one I have as well as Vt_Mav, can't see it though in my pics. I have the ratchet strap woven through the rim as a 2ndary /backup system.

And for those so inclined....strapworks.com has designs with skulls, bullets, about 5 different camos, and many more. They make them by the foot, so I didn't have a bunch of excess strap to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    If I remember correctly (and Sue please let me know if I'm wrong here) the Coleman basket has bars rather than slats for it's flooring, which might work well with the Yakima spare tire kit. The only problem might be if the "hanger pieces" that wrap around the bars are too small, but you may not know that until you're actually looking at it in person. If the bars on the Coleman are of a similar diameter, you still may need to drill some new holes to attach the Yakima plate. But again you won't know until you compare the two racks and the kit.

If I were you (and not to volunteer Sue here ) I would meet up with Sue to compare your racks (that sounds pretty funny lol). Just take the Yakima kit off her spare and see if you can mate it up to your Coleman rack.
    Yeah, I think the Coleman had a "grid" pattern of metal bars on the floor, instead of just slats.
    And yes, that does sound funny!
    Dave, we'll be passing thru your town on 1/14 and 1/16...could check it out then. Or maybe a local off-road shop would have one in person.

I am confused by what has happened? What is wrong with a 5 dollar ratchet strap? They are rated to 500-1000lbs static for a 1" strap pending the brand you get. Mine has been on the roof off and on for 2 years, same strap. No degrading of the nylon, no rusting, no problems. The dynamic fail point is much higher.

http://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-x-10-...t-strap-s-hook

I think ratchet straps or the Yakima kit would work equally well. I just like not having the mounting method visible as would be the case with the ratchet straps.