Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 12 bolt lockers are now available

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool 12 bolt lockers are now available

Just saw a post over on the wire that I thought some of you may find interesting...
    The long awaited "Aussie Lockers" for the Isuzu corp. 12 bolt are now available from www.independent4x.com should start shipping around the 20th to those that have been on the waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Somebody besides me should tell them Indy's link goes to the wrong page.

So Dub, did you go for the preorder? $375 versus the $1000 ARB - I am not a fan of the lunchbox but what a price difference... hmm, my Christmas bonus is going fast and I haven't even got it yet! Decisions decisions...
    I thought your Xmas bonus was for a PS3!

Bart

Thumbs up

So Dub, did you go for the preorder? $375 versus the $1000 ARB - I am not a fan of the lunchbox but what a price difference... hmm, my Christmas bonus is going fast and I haven't even got it yet! Decisions decisions...
    Done & done...just got off the phone, should be shipping by the end of next week barring any un4seens. I'm thinking a lunchbox in the rear, with an air locker in front (someday in the future) will get me up & over most anything I'm nuts enough to try. However, it could get a little squirrly in icy conditions...hope to have it in before May.
    Also, I see they now have adjustable MONSTER lower links that look mighty tasty.

Please, no more ideas! Green Dragon convinced me to stay away from a front locker - he said he never broke a front axle until he used the locker, then he broke a few times. With a front locker, my gears, and my tires, I am sure to break... No thank you! I like to use my trips to wheel, not to wrench!
    My thoughts on that are...using Superwinch or Warn (anything other than Aisin...they're too strong) manual front hubs as "fuses" & carrying a spare or two. Yal has posted on this in the past & it makes sense...create a cheaper weak link to save more expen$ive/harder to replace parts.
    As you can see "please, no more ideas" doesn't work with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    My thoughts on that are...using Superwinch or Warn (anything other than Aisin...they're too strong) manual front hubs as "fuses" & carrying a spare or two. Yal has posted on this in the past & it makes sense...create a cheaper weak link to save more expen$ive/harder to replace parts.

No, no, no...you got it all wrong! Just got to build bigger and stronger! Just scrap the 10 bolt! I can't wait until by 10 bolt junk is up for sale on here!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    No, no, no...you got it all wrong! Just got to build bigger and stronger! Just scrap the 10 bolt! I can't wait until by 10 bolt junk is up for sale on here!
    While I'm sure it's fun to talk about, (going on two+ yrs. now?) I'll believe it when I see it...in the mean time, I'll be turning REAL wrenches & doing mods that ACTUALLY exist. --
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/15/2007 at 06:54 AM

Hmm... well... I understand the theory, but struggle with the logic... that is only because you will need the locker in the most extreme situations that will create the most tension. Tension = POP! I know you'll experiment with it, so have fun and keep us posted.
    I grenaded a Warn hub on a locked rear full floater kit by giving a little too much gas on pavement. So you are correct, hubs CAN be a fuse! However, the only Super hub we did break, didn't totally let go. It messed up the innards and it had to be replaced, but the hub still held up... front axles though, we have broken 4 times - always when the locker was engaged. Using lockers can increase the rate of fatigue on axle joints, and over time they can weaken and break, even if there is a fuse in place.

As a heads up, I am not sure about Superwinch hubs for Isuzu's, but on our CJ-7, the Super hubs do some strange things when the locker is engaged. The wheel with the most traction is hard to rotate, so what happens is the axle wants to turn and it will turn the hub... but the flange of the hub can put enough force on the mounting bolts to either slowly back them out and/or shear them at the rotor. So may I suggest stepping up to Grade 8 hardware and using loc-tite or some sort of mechanical lock beyond lock washers?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Hmm... well... I understand the theory, but struggle with the logic... that is only because you will need the locker in the most extreme situations that will create the most tension. Tension = POP! I know you'll experiment with it, so have fun and keep us posted.
    I grenaded a Warn hub on a locked rear full floater kit by giving a little too much gas on pavement. So you are correct, hubs CAN be a fuse! However, the only Super hub we did break, didn't totally let go. It messed up the innards and it had to be replaced, but the hub still held up... front axles though, we have broken 4 times - always when the locker was engaged. Using lockers can increase the rate of fatigue on axle joints, and over time they can weaken and break, even if there is a fuse in place.

As a heads up, I am not sure about Superwinch hubs for Isuzu's, but on our CJ-7, the Super hubs do some strange things when the locker is engaged. The wheel with the most traction is hard to rotate, so what happens is the axle wants to turn and it will turn the hub... but the flange of the hub can put enough force on the mounting bolts to either slowly back them out and/or shear them at the rotor. So may I suggest stepping up to Grade 8 hardware and using loc-tite or some sort of mechanical lock beyond lock washers?
    Yeah, it's ALL theory at this point in time...a front locker of any type i$ $till a long way off. The grade 8 point is well taken, also, for anything that wants to come loose when it's not supposed to, I'm a big fan of safety wire.
    I'll have to see how she does with the rear lunchbox & decide on which direction to go from there.
    On another topic, I'm really developing a meaningful lust for those adjustable monster lower links...anyone interested in buying a lightly used set of HD lower links? Been installed about a year, painted red...just throwin it out there.

While I'm sure it's fun to talk about, (going on two+ yrs. now?) I'll believe it when I see it...in the mean time, I'll be turning REAL wrenches & doing mods that ACTUALLY exist. --

I've always said it is a LONG term project....but it WILL happen. I've started gathering info and have been watching the for sale stuff on various sites! The VX will be paid off within a year which will free up some fundage...I will be retiring in 18 months which will free up the time!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I've always said it is a LONG term project....but it WILL happen. I've started gathering info and have been watching the for sale stuff on various sites! The VX will be paid off within a year which will free up some fundage...I will be retiring in 18 months which will free up the time!
    Congrats on being able to see retirement on the horizon...I think you already know I was just givin' you a little jab with my funny comment.
    Also, I'm not sure what you have estimated for cost on the parts etc., but if it's anywhere near the 2k mark, I've seen a recent post elsewhere about a Rodeo for sale in Utah that's already been SAS'd with SOA f & r. D-44 from a Jeep.Asking price is $2500 bones. Don't know if it'd be worth it as a parts donor & then part out what's left, but it would be like an instant SAS tutorial to take an already functioning mod & transplant it to your VX. Also, would be nice to have the D-44 rear & convert it to VX use due to better availability of gearing etc. Maybe put your IFS & corporate 12 under the Rodeo & sell it?...just thinkin' out loud as it happens, my wild scheme most likely has some obvious flaws that I didn't think through.

But hey, if you did the bulk of the work yourself & know a welder that's sympathetic to the cause, you might come out on the deal.
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/15/2007 at 01:13 PM

Wink

A bit off topic...I installed one of these in the rear of my 2WD Dodge Ram for daily driving street duty with occasional "yard-duty" and love it! The PowerTrax locker is very quiet for daily driving...testing it in the snow and am very happy so far. You hear no clicking after 50 miles of break-in. They list Isuzu applications but I don't know if it is compatible with our axle. Their conventional "lunch-box" locker that is noisy is called the LockRite.

http://www.powertrax.com/
    http://www.powertrax.com/faq.html
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/15/2007 at 07:12 PM Reason: added link
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    A bit off topic...I installed one of these in the rear of my 2WD Dodge Ram for daily driving street duty with occasional "yard-duty" and love it! The PowerTrax locker is very quiet for daily driving...testing it in the snow and am very happy so far. You hear no clicking after 50 miles of break-in. They list Isuzu applications but I don't know if it is compatible with our axle. Their conventional "lunch-box" locker that is noisy is called the LockRite.

http://www.powertrax.com/
    That's good to hear, how long did the install take? Does it make the rear end get sideways easier?
    I'm guessing as I haven't checked out he link, but their Isuzu application may only cover the models that came with Dana rear ends.
    Thanks for the info.

Wink

That's good to hear, how long did the install take? Does it make the rear end get sideways easier?
    I'm guessing as I haven't checked out he link, but their Isuzu application may only cover the models that came with Dana rear ends.
    Thanks for the info.
    The instructions were very good...most of the work is putting all the locker pieces together in your hands...inserting tiny springs...lubing the specified surfaces with assembly grease...removing the Limited slip unit was easy...the only snag I hit was when doing the actual swap there didn't at first appear to be enough clearance to install it...made me think it wasn't the right part# but it finally slipped into place. Tight fit. like 2-3 hours of being overly cautious to install..probably could do it again in like under 2 hrs.

It reacts differently on different surfaces. The best I can describe it is if you give it the right amount of gas on a slippery surface (snow) it reminds me of a NHRA dragster "shaking the tires" in that they oscillate rapidly as if "hunting" for traction and it rapidly subsides as you begin moving forward. If you "hot-dog" (i.e. too much gas) you will go sideways like a crab but, it is pretty forgiving...I did this for like 50 yrds showing off...lol. The closest I'll probably come to "drifting".

If you stop at an intersection and make a right or left turn with normal throttle you won't even know it is there...but, if you are aggressive on the throttle when turning you will bark the inside rear tire as it is trying to drive both tires equally under heavy throttle. The instructions say to ease off the throttle when turning on slippery conditions as heavy throttle will cause the front to understeer (plow, push) but, I haven't experienced this yet.

Personally, I like your idea of using a "lunch box" setup for only the rear axle and using an "air locker" for the front. I woudn't use it in both axles.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/15/2007 at 06:40 PM Reason: add time to install.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    If you "hot-dog" (i.e. too much gas) you will go sideways like a crab but, it is pretty forgiving...I did this for like 50 yrds showing off...lol. The closest I'll probably come to "drifting".
    I'm guessing with a longer wheelbase comes more forgiveness...I've found in the past, that the VX being rather short, can & WILL swap ends in the blink of an eye & go crunch into a tree...
    Guess I'd better plan on toning down the skinny pedal during our slippery winters.
    Thanks again for the info.

I heard that some Isuzu's came with a winter mode switch that does some crazy thing like start in 3rd gear. Actually, try icy driving with a 6" lifted YJ on 35" BFG MT's with 4.56's, Detroit locker in the rear, and Auburn LSD in the front. The only good thing there was you could glide over half the things you would normally just slide into... curbs, fire hydrants, children, your boss, etc...
    LOL...sounds like a line from Johnny Dangerously.

It shoots through schools, Johnny...