Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 01 AC compressor part number?

01 AC compressor part number?

So I have the typical Isuzu AC compressor problem that the bearings are howling. I ordered the 2488 compressor from autozone for a couple hundred bucks and today went to replace it. Guess what...wrong compressor. I searched every site I could, Pepboys, Isuzuparts...the VX parts list, and all the AC threads here. All the parts lists list the same compressor for the 99-01, which isn't true. The <01 used a GM compressor, which is the 2488, the 01 has some weird looking one that looks similar to the 02 and newer Isuzu compressors, but not the same, the suction connection isnt flat on the Vx like it is on 02 rodeo, axiom etc... Anyone know the part number or where to get the right one? Even the clutch assembly would be enough, but since it costs almost as much as the whole compressor, figured I would replace the entire assembly. I need to get this done before summer, and Moab, plus if the unit seizes......bad bad bad.
    I checked fleabay, nothing for the 01 Vx.
    Please help!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Marlin : 03/01/2009 at 05:48 AM Reason: SP

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I found out some interesting things today. The isuzu parts list is indeed wrong on some things. They knew about the compressor part number being incorrect. The 01 Vx AC compressor is unique to the 01Vx. The >02 isuzus use the same compressor, they have same rating and mounting but with one small but huge difference:the low suction connection on the Vx sticks out at an angle to allow the hose to not be pinched in steering components, the others are flat, so the hose has a pinch in it to get it to fit. So if you have an 01, its OEM or nothing, the clutch is the same I think, so you could try that, but for compressor failure...its gonna cost. I am keepin my old one just in case. I found a place that said they could rebuild it if you mail it to them, but its a few weeks plus shipping, so I will probably have my original rebuilt just in case. My new one came from a wrecked Vx with about 70K miles. Quality auto parts, very cool and ridiculously quick.
    I hope no one else has to go through what I did...

Sorry for having steered you wrong on Fleabay. I have 2 01's so I'll note the OEM compressor or nothing data point. Thanks.

Mine is howling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Mine is howling too.
    That sucks, its poor design, the compressor is right at the bottom and with no splash guard, it gets exposed to the elements the most. I would imagine the alternator is susceptible as well. But those are relatively cheap and easy to come by.
    I wonder if you can get a shorter belt and bypass the AC if you had to like you can on the older rodeos? Hmmmmm...just a thought.

Hmmmm, something interesting, apparently the 2000 might havce the same compressor. If someone could take a look at theirs, if the clutch e-clips look like a bunch of triangles overlapping, thats the newer version, if it is just a few circles, its not. This is what mine looks like.
    http://www.discountcompressor.com/vi...%20%20&code=RC

Are we pretty sure that this is the same compressor for '00 AND '01? I've got a chance to buy one off an '00 as a "spare", but want to make sure that it's the same. Marlin or anyone, can I get an Isuzu P/N? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    Are we pretty sure that this is the same compressor for '00 AND '01? I've got a chance to buy one off an '00 as a "spare", but want to make sure that it's the same. Marlin or anyone, can I get an Isuzu P/N? Thanks in advance!
    The isuzu part number is incorrect. I personally do not believe it is the same, as the pics for the 00 on ebay look like the old GM compressor, which is what I got from autozone. You would have to see a pic of the pulley face. If it has a series of clips that look like some sort of keltic design, thats the one on the 01, if its just plain, its the old style.

I am checking into another rumor, that the 01 trooper has the same compressor. That is what a junk yard told me, I will know thursday for sure when I get mine out and I compare side by side.

Good news, trooper AC fits.

Here is the good news. The 01 trooper AC fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks different, the counter weight on the clutch is different, but it works perfect. This is the first time I have heard my Vx run without that howling sound. It purrrrrrrrs. So that should save some money and worries out there for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlin; During your recent compressor marathon did it appear that the '00 and the '01 are the same? My 2000 is noisy also so I will be following your footsteps. Just curios, did you have a shop charge the system after you did the installation or did you do the charging?

The 2000 and 2001 are NOT the same. The 01 trooper is the same. I checked with autozone, they list a trooper compressor at 219, but the pic looks like the old GM compressor, which is not right. The same problem they have with the Vx. I suppose you could order one and see, you have nothing to lose except time.

Ok so will this work for the A/C Clutch?:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...36_12326_6207_

They list the same A/C clutch for the 99-01 VX and the 01 Trooper.

Did you ever send off your spare to have it rebuilt how much did that cost you?

I thought changing out my P/S pump would help a little with the noise, but not at all. Could I try just changing out the A/C Clutch? Would that help?

I would really like to just replace the A/C clutch, because I have never experienced a more consistant better working A/C than mine, but I want to make sure the one at AutoZone will work. Thanks
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 09/03/2010 at 01:00 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Ok so will this work for the A/C Clutch?:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...36_12326_6207_

They list the same A/C clutch for the 99-01 VX and the 01 Trooper.

Did you ever send off your spare to have it rebuilt how much did that cost you?

I thought changing out my P/S pump would help a little with the noise, but not at all. Could I try just changing out the A/C Clutch? Would that help?

I would really like to just replace the A/C clutch, because I have never experienced a more consistant better working A/C than mine, but I want to make sure the one at AutoZone will work. Thanks
    That clutch will not work!!! It doesn't look anything like ours(01 VX), your best bet would be to take it to a local AC shop and see what they think. I know the 01 VX compressor is similar to the 02 trooper (what mine came out of). It fits, just barely. I changed my power steering pump thinking the same thing, but it didn't.

Just to throw something else in the mix.... My comp bearing has gone too. Anyone know which one I need for a JDM 1997???

I have managed to get a shorter serpentine so I'm now running without A/C.

Marlin, If I post a pic of mine, would you be able to tell if its the same?

Cheers

Nick
    Last edited by alterastro : 09/03/2010 at 09:43 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.

Quote Originally Posted by alterastro View Post
    Just to throw something else in the mix.... My comp bearing has gone too. Anyone know which one I need for a JDM 1997???

I have managed to get a shorter serpentine so I'm now running without A/C.

Marlin, If I post a pic of mine, would you be able to tell if its the same?

Cheers

Nick
    Yours should be the same as the 99/00 models. Frequently on ebay for 100 bucks, also can be had at US local autoparts stores If you look at the front of the compressor, the 01 looks like some sort of Celtic knot. The others do not.
    PS-its marlin, merlin is in St. Charles, MO