Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CVs

CVs

Where do i get a new CV? I went to autozone and it is a dealer part. The one on it shows ROCK FORD on the boot. Is that stock?

You can get them off of Amazon. They're made by EMPI and not a bad price. Part # are 80-1039 for the complete assembly or "long side" with the inner joint. 80-3619 for the 'short' assembly minus the inner joint which is what most people go with unless the existing green inner cup on the vehicle is too messed up to reuse. I just used two of the 80-3619s and they work great.
    Last edited by whiplash : 11/05/2012 at 03:48 PM

If you eant the best quality stick with oem but they are pricey...about $450 each iirc.
    The empi's are the best of the aftermarket. Good quality but not as good as oem. The empi's can be found for under $80 each on-line (I paid $79 on amazon). The empi part is actually a trooper part#. If you search the site the part# has been opated by me and several others.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
    You can get them off of Amazon. They're made by EMPI and not a bad price. Part # are 80-1039 for the complete assembly or "long side" with the inner joint. 80-3619 for the 'short' assembly minus the inner joint which is what most people go with unless the existing green inner cup on the vehicle is too messed up to reuse. I just used two of the 80-3619s and they work great.

Are both part side the same? I will just get the complete shaft because i believe one side is completely shot and they are only 7 dollar difference

I think that both sides are the same, but I'll let someone who has actually ordered them chime in.

I just wanted to caution you about the "green cup". Make sure that it is still intact and hasn't been scarred up due to lack of grease and road crud getting into the joint. The "green cup" is actually the outer race of the inner CV joint (confused yet?). It is the end of the axle that is in the front axle housing and it is painted green. If both of your inner CV boots are still intact then it is more than likely okay, but if the boots are split (and have been for a while) then the grease was probably flung out of the joint and road grime probably made it's way in there. If the green cup is all boogered up, then new half shafts won't do you any good. Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, because I do hope that everything is okay in there.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Thank you for the advice. One side the boot is pretty much gone. So I will be buying the long shaft.

Ok, but realize that the required work to replace the inner green cup takes the job from a 2 to a 9 as far as difficulty and work/time involved. Replacing the CV is no problem it would take me about an hour to 2 per side now, but replacing the inner green cups is a complete weekend job, if you know what you are doing. If not it will take you quite a bit longer.

To replace the inner green cups you must drop the front differential out of the whole VX. If not replacing the green cups it is a pretty easy, but messy job.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    To replace the inner green cups you must drop the front differential out of the whole VX. If not replacing the green cups it is a pretty easy, but messy job.
    oh, i was not aware it was so difficult. I guess i better do more reseach before doing so. I bet i will have to change the whole shaft because the grinding was horrible coming from this CV. Is there a video or directions to do so? And if i do change the whole shaft i guess i better put in the dif lowering kit right?

Depending on what side you need, finding an axle can be a bit of a pain. The green cup on my driver side got all boogered up because I didn't realize that my inner CV boot had torn. I found a few aftermarket sources for the passenger side axle (which is the shorter of the two), but I couldn't find a driver side one. As far as I know our front axles are unique to the VX so a Trooper or Rodeo axle won't work, but you may want to call Merlin to verify that.

I ended up finding an axle out of a salvage yard VX and had it shipped to me as a spare. The shop that I took my VX to to work on the CV joint ended up taking the axle out of my VX and sent it off to a machine shop that welded up all of the scars that were in the inner race and then machined everything back to original specifications. It ended up being fairly inexpensive to have my existing green cup welded and machined and it's been in the VX now for a few years without any problems (and that's with two or three trips to Moab too).

One word of caution; when/if you drop your front axle, or work on the half shafts, or really just get near the front spindles at all, be VERY careful not to damage the ABS/speed sensors because they are ridiculously expensive (ask me how I know ).

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Mark, our CV axles match the same part number as a 97 trooper per matt at indy 4x.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

The only difference between the troop and vx shafts are the balls are slightly smaller on the troop cv's but they still work. I have another cv that is clicking (when my hubs are locked). I am going to check locally and see if anyone will rebuild my oem shafts...they are a better quality part and I saved them for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Mark, our CV axles match the same part number as a 97 trooper per matt at indy 4x.
    Jack, are you talking about the little half shafts (for lack of a better term) or the actual axle that fits in the front axle housing? The half shafts, the part that you can see exposed that contains both the inner and outer CV joint are the same as the Trooper, and are the same length on the passenger and driver side so you can use them on either side.

The part with the green cup (the outer race of the inner CV joint), I think, is unique to the VX. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Oh ya, i believe you are correct mark. Perhaps swede will chime in. I was just referring to the cv part of the axle.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by givegodachance View Post
    Is there a video or directions to do so?
    Try the search function...

Or the knowlege base...

Or the how to section...

Or the downloads section...

It's all there, if you look...