Thread: I didn't think eBay could get any worse!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post eBay woes

When I was bored I used to get on ebay and buy a lot of things that I really didn't need... old books, collectibles, etc. But I always told myself, I could just turn around and place them back on eBay when required (after I read books, etc.)

This churning of stuff help me build up 1500+ feedback... and most of the time I made a modest profit because I provided good photos and well-written descriptions. And I threw away my buying mistakes <grin>.

Now the market has changed; and it is no longer any fun. There appears to be fewer people buying unique items, and because of bad seller experiences in the past, they are reluctant to buy again from any seller.

The general public refer to "eBay" as a single entity. It now has evolved into a singular source with a shared reputation.

I often thought I could retire earlier and run a small eBay business on the side. That ship has sailed.

Sure there dozens of other online bidding sites with different payment models (Yahoo auctions are free, for example) but eBay was a cultural icon for many years and I think it is just imploding now because of greed.

Perhaps the old fashioned "flea market" where you get out in the sunshine and barter face to face wasn't so bad, afterall.

Cheers,

Mark

I helped create a company that provided tools for eBay sellers - I left it last year and it's since been acquired by what used to be our biggest competitor. The market and marketplace has been changing for some time. The old experience has certainly changed. I've found myself still buying from eBay but rarely sell - most of my online purchases are made on Amazon (best general prices, usually free shipping and no tax). I also end up buying a lot off Craigslist from local sellers - especially good for heaving items like tools and equipment. I seem to sell more on "Trade" forums than anywhere.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by reptiles View Post
    Sure there dozens of other online bidding sites with different payment models (Yahoo auctions are free, for example) but eBay was a cultural icon for many years and I think it is just imploding now because of greed.
    That's the problem. Sure there are other online auction sites that are doing similar things, but the problem is, the user base is so small and so limited compared to eBay, its really pointless. You're not going to find a WWII Army Dog Gas Mask on ONLINEAUCTION.com, but you might on eBay.

There is a "comfort" people have (or had) with eBay. Meaning, there is (was) a certain trust that ebay buyers had, that is being lost. For another site to not only gain the user base, but to also gain the trust, could take years, or never happen at all.

In 1998 when I used to do a eBay search for "gas mask" I might get 20 items. Today, I can easily do the same search and yield well over 500 items. Somewhere in the middle of 1998 and today, it was great. Hundreds of sellers from all over the world cleaning out their basements and attics, and I was there grabbing stuff up. Now, eBay is oversaturated with liquidation type stuff and the real quality is gone. And now, with these new rules, they might has well just merge with Amazon and just do regular fixed price sales. Like you said, the whole face to face, garage sale mentality is just about gone. I guess its just a sign of the times, but it really sucks for collectors and little guys like me, who liked it because I could find good, genuine items. Now its just boat loads of repetitive garbage, peddled by huge sellers who could care less about individuals and feedback. Imploding, it is.

Bart