Well... Unfortunately THIS project has reached it's end.

Here are a few updates:

- Bought a 2001 Isuzu Trooper Limited in really good shape, other than a rod-knock'n motor for $2250, with ALL the cool options like tan leather, wood inlays, 4x4, TOD, HUGE moon roof, inclinometer, roof racks, etc...
It even came with a few bonuses: Clifford remote start, snow board mounts, and a full brush guard!

- While talking to DMV again about the EVAP system requirements and the ECU, it was determined that THIS particular engine, FROM the 2500HD truck will NOT work according to their rules. I have to have the exact same configuration and readings from the EVAP system of the vehicle I'm trying to get my vehicle to imitate (Yukon Denali, since it's the only one that had the LQ4 and is under 8k GVWR). To do this I would have to transplant the Denali's fuel tank and EVAP equipment. Red flag... all GM "trucks" have fuel tanks mounted along the frame... and they are huge.

- Also, since I'm trying to clone the Denali, I would have to replace the ECU since it is programmed as a 2500HD, and would show up as such on a computer.

So, I've decided to cut bait on THIS engine/project.
I just sold the LQ4 and transmission package to a guy in Iowa.
(got my money back!)

I'll try again later.
After doing some further research on the issues I ran into, the next most interesting engine is the 2002 LS1 5.7 from the Corvette. The gas tank of the Vette is similar in shape/size to the VX's.
Next time I'll buy/borrow a gas tank and get it to fit FIRST, then the EVAP controls, THEN buy the engine/transmission.

For right now, I have a more pressing adventure to attend to!
My second child, my son, will be born on 3/31 (Easter Sunday) or earlier.
So, the recoup of the engine funds came at a perfect time.

For a project, the Trooper I bought will be a fun exercise.
Cylinder #1 is at 160 psi while all the others are at 185.
That's consistent with rod bearing failure.
I'm going to remove the engine and see if it's salvageable. If not, there are always Troopers on Craigslist for sale with bad transmissions and good engines... heck, maybe I'll just hold out for a good, driving manual Trooper and steal the engine for the Trooper project and the AR-5 for the VX! LOL
Fun fun fun...
My wife actually wants me to give up the V8 idea and go with a supercharger... anyone selling one??