View Poll Results: what year VX did the engine failure occur?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • '99?

70 55.12%
  • '00?

21 16.54%
  • '01?

36 28.35%

Thread: Engine failure poll?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All I have to say is as far as 4X4 SUV companies go, if you disclude Isuzu who do you have left? Jeep and LandRover. And if you want to talk problems...

Else I would take a Hummer H1 or military HUMVEE but who can aford one.

HAve there really been 24 seperate engine failures that VX owners have posted on this board? Given the relatively small member base, this is an incredibly high %.

Also, were the engines that failed consuming oil at time of failure? Was low oil to blame?

I'm looking at buying either an '01 VX and an '01 Trooper for a 32 mile daily commute. I used to own the '01 trooper that I'm looking at, and it consumed no oil. The VX is reported to consume some oil at highway speeds.
    '95 Trooper LS w/ 5spd, front lockright, rear LSD, Tera Low, 1.5" OME coils, 2.5" Daystar spacers, Nissan Patrol RS9000s, ARB Bullbar, Warn M8000, 33" Firestone Destination MTs, SURCO rack.

I have a '00 Ironman and just suffered a blown motor..... The original owner I just found out replaced the motor at 25,000mi and now Im replacing it at 51,000mi.... Both myself and the original owner kept the truck in tip top shape as we both did synthetic changes every 2,500mi..... I never had problems keeping the oil in the motor. I was told the reason my motor is blown is because the 3.5L V6 had a top end oil problem.... Oil is not getting to the top of the #3 cylinder and it seizes.... of course the motor is still running so it snaps the connecting rod( this would be the tapping noise everyone hears). Isuzu is replacing my motor under warranty and setting me up with a stronger oil pump(to get the oil up to that #3 cylinder) and making some mods to my head to allow the oil to flow better. Ive had the pcv valve problem and dont think it has anythin to do with your motor blowing( just stalling and check engine light coming on). What worries me is the fact my warranty ends at 75,000 mi..... If my motor blows on schedule again Ill be buying one. I talked to the dealership about maybe getting something new because of these problems but was only offered 9k for a trade in! I bought it new a yr 1/2 ago for $19,000..... What a rip off. I think my next vehicle will rely on a japanese manufacturer since Ive had no luck with american motors. Anyway I take extremely good care of my VX and drive it gently so this proves there is a design flaw in the motor and no one is immune to this problem.

O yeah..... When it blew I was on my way to work... It was fine in the morning but halfway to work after pulling out from a stop light it started to tap and by the time I got to work my connecting rod had punched through the cylinder wall.