Thread: Timing belt replacement disaster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is there a way to determine if its definately a rod knocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Gable74 View Post
    Is there a way to determine if its definately a rod knocking?
    What about using an engine stethescope (or similar diagnostic technique) to narrow it down to which cylinder the ticking is coming from? Have you ever had your solid lifter shim clearances checked?

It sounds like (using a rubber hose as an ear piece) that its coming from the front passenger side. Can not narrow down whether its coming from down low (oil pan area) or not. It started making the sound after a long climb up a hill one day. I was hoping there was another weak point like the timing tensioner that I could test out prior to giving up on it.

This video certainly sounds similar to yours. It's not unheard of for a new part to be bad right off the shelf, so maybe you just got a bad rebuilt tensioner?....that is.....provided you remembered to pull the pin from the one you installed when you finally got all your timing marks lined up after 25 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0H4_v14iQc

With timing cover partially removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1NJ8DVm_U

With tensioner replaced. (Last 15 seconds of video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8CHNfEzskU
    Last edited by Y33TREKker : 10/26/2015 at 04:19 PM

LOL...yes....I pulled the pin. The tensioner had plenty of force on the pulley so I am 99.9% certain that its good. What has me confused it that the sound is rapid like you would hear from a lifter even though this engine does not have lifters. In my experieince a rod knock is a deeper sound and less frequent. Just for giggles I am going to pull the serpantine belt this weekend and verify its in the engine and not an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Gable74 View Post
    LOL...yes....I pulled the pin. The tensioner had plenty of force on the pulley so I am 99.9% certain that its good. What has me confused it that the sound is rapid like you would hear from a lifter even though this engine does not have lifters. In my experieince a rod knock is a deeper sound and less frequent. Just for giggles I am going to pull the serpantine belt this weekend and verify its in the engine and not an accessory.
    Our engines do have lifters, but they are solid (not hydraulic) shim in bucket style lifters that have to be checked and adjusted from time to time.

Adjustments are done simply by measuring the clearances of the current shims, then replacing the current shim with another slightly thicker shim that has the correct additional thickness to take up any extra required clearance as measured.

It's the same type lifter setup found in many motorcycles.

Hard to say for sure though, since I also saw a Youtube video where the problem ended up being a valve cover gasket that was leaking, and I'd swear that noise sounded very similar to the one in your video.