Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SO...how much.... DO YOU THINK...your VX is worth???

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Thanks Jay....

I'll keep that in mind.............................................. ........NOT!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is a tough one! I would take it. Buy another VX, spend half of what I have spent over the last 5 years, as you said, avoiding the newbie stuff. I would also buy a beat up amigo, and make it a trail truck!
    Good luck, that is a sticky situation!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Jo, the ORW is your labor of love. The value you place on it is your own, and completely justified. If it's perfect to you, then I'd say keep it unless the money is way above the value you've placed. If there are things you'd improve, then I suggest you sell it for as close to your value as you can (which is still above cost, per se), and rebuild.

Good luck, bro.
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Thanxs for all the input...and wise words

However..in a way, this thread kind of wandered from my initial intent....

My real conundrum was very simply...how does one value ones own VX.

This has been my dilemma over the past three days...

Suffice to say...he came..we chatted.....and he arrived with an "expert"...
    ...who initially kept calling it...

...a Suzuki.

But got his head on straight after a few choice words from me......
    ....and was essentially drooling.

The "potential" buyer is not interested in REAL off roading.
    He's moving to Maine..and wants better MPG than an H1..and good bad weather safety...
    ...plus he likes a "Unique " vehicle.

So.....my bottom line was this:-

I remove....

The 35's...and fit 33's
    I remove coil spacers.
    I remove the 4.77's & lockers...fit OEM Diffs ( which I have)
    I remove front lockable hubs..( replace with OEM...yup, I have)
    I remove all HD links/tie rods etc..and fit OEM..( Umm..again..yup...I have..)
    I remove the custom rock rails...end of story.
    I remove roof rack and rack cross rails....DOHH!
    I remove the MorganTech cold air and replace with OEM (ditto!)

...and he pays $23K

So..back to "What do you value your VX at"

I think that would work for me...so..I have found a "value"

OR....as an alternative.... I build him one....which I REALLY LIKE.

The balls in his court.

He seems genuinely serious.

We shall see what transpires!

jo

'Not' For Sale

Several issues that would be top of mind if I were confronted with a similar dilemma. First, I've poured SO MUCH into getting my VX as close to perfect as possible. The list would be too exhaustive to reproduce here. But the idea was to get the VX as close to perfect as possible. I'm sure you guys empathize.

Then there is the fact that some parts are getting harder and harder to source. A couple of weeks ago I bought the very last OEM shifter Merlin had in stock. How many other replacement bits and pieces are essentially gone? So if I sell Monsty and buy another VX, whose to say that I'd be able to put it together as well as I have the current iteration.

Then there's the sentimental value. Fact is, I love this truck. My little boy loves our truck. My wife won't go near it but two out of three ain't bad. Also, I've managed to get it looking exactly the way I wanted it to look. Stock wheels with a 3.5" lift. 34" mudders and not too much else to take away from the OEM / Show car vibe. I know I'm prejudiced, but I think I now happen to possess one of the coolest looking vehicles ever produced. And the lift kit and mudders do for this truck what a short skirt and CFM pumps do for a beautiful woman. Guys, I know you're with me on this.

No matter how far away in the lot I park this rig, invariably I find somebody parked next to it on either side, and usually both. I know they just want to check it out up close, but man that gets me frustrated. Don't you hate it when you go to all that trouble to park in as isolated a section of the lot possible only to find yourself surrounded by a pair of yahoos who pulled up inches from your door? I hate that.

But I guess it goes with the territory. And at least once a week I get the "looks like a giant Tonka Toy" compliment. There really is nothing else out there like these machines. And with each passing day they're becoming just a little more rare, aren't they. When was the last time you guys passed a VX on the road?

In northern NJ, there is precisely one other VX that I've seen and it is a box stock '99 Ebony that sometimes parks on RTE 17 in Mahwah. Aside from that one, my Monsty is the sole example of his increasingly rare breed. So, as to the question of how much I would take for my VX... Well, I dunno. Right now, I'm sure it would be a much bigger number than most folks would be willing to pay. And that's perfectly fine with me. In about ten years, I'm handing Monsty's keys to my son and after that the VX is his to keep or dispose of, at his discretion. Till then, I guess we'll just call this one "Not For Sale!"

I have no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by angeno View Post
    And the lift kit and mudders do for this truck what a short skirt and CFM pumps do for a beautiful woman. Guys, I know you're with me on this.
    ...what youre talking about

Well put sir!

jo

Build one for him - - That sounds like a great idea! Best of both worlds!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thumbs up My Vx Is Worth

To Me I Guess I Am a Little Crazy like all the other VX owners as far as what their VX is worth to us ! In The Immaculate Shape Mine Is In and All The Custom Modifications To It About $20,000 - $25,000 Not A Penny Less or I Would Not Even Entertain An Offer. I Guess Deep Down Inside I Love My Irreplaceable 2001 Kaiser Silver VX, Would Not Want To Sell It, And Maybe I Am Crazy Like The Rest of The VX Owners What They Are Worth To Us? My Only Regret Is That I Might Have Liked Red Mica Better Than Kaiser Silver, However, Using Pinnacle Souveran Canuba Paste Auto Wax Gives My VX An Unbelievable Finish !

You value the VX by simply throwing a ludicrous number out there. These things are easily not worth what their sticker was in their showroom days, but of course, they are to US. There is always someone out there who missed the VX train when it first rolled in to the station, and they have to pay the piper now.

I was offered $20k cash about 3 years ago by a well-to-do gentleman. He went on and on about how he always wanted one, but was too late in jumping on the wagon. I am pretty sure he was good for it since he and his wife jumped into an Aston Martin when they left. Long story short, I never brought myself to calling the guy's card. Even at $20k, I couldn't bring myself to let her go.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    I was offered $20k cash about 3 years ago by a well-to-do gentleman. He went on and on about how he always wanted one, but was too late in jumping on the wagon. I am pretty sure he was good for it since he and his wife jumped into an Aston Martin when they left. Long story short, I never brought myself to calling the guy's card. Even at $20k, I couldn't bring myself to let her go.
    I've never entertained an offer to sell my VX... I'm not DEAD YET!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I value mine at around $6,000 for drivetrain and whatever scrap metal price is for the rest......
    Why?..... because stock sucks.

I would dump mine real quick for 25K. 35k no problem. Why build another one ?
    I would by another one and keep it mostly stock. Then buy a beater fj40 , Samurai, or something of that nature to play with off-road. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    I would dump mine real quick for 25K. 35k no problem. Why build another one ?
    I would by another one and keep it mostly stock. Then buy a beater fj40 , Samurai, or something of that nature to play with off-road. But that's just me.
    X2
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Or build the hovervan!

Yikes, tough question!

Anyone who is honest about being a car guy/gal will admit that there is more love (heart) than brain (logic) when it comes to vehicles.

I was going to bring up the investment in time you spent finding your 4.77's and the value from the time and research, but as you mentioned in the last post - that is among the items that are "keepers!"

I think my VX is realistically worth about $5k, but I would have to get an offer of double that to even pique my interest.