Thread: Rear Storage box and Subwoofer box

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How did you decide the sub height? IOW, the height lifted off the floor? Are 3 sides enclosed -- where you'd consider it horn-loaded? Or just down-firing? (If horn, the dimensions of the outlet are what I'm referring to.)

Oh yeah...where are you putting the amp?

Nice looking fab!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    How did you decide the sub height? IOW, the height lifted off the floor? Are 3 sides enclosed -- where you'd consider it horn-loaded? Or just down-firing? (If horn, the dimensions of the outlet are what I'm referring to.)

Oh yeah...where are you putting the amp?

Nice looking fab!
    This is what it looks like from the bottom before sub is installed:

I only have standoffs on the two sides. To get the height, I used an online sub box calculator for my dimensions of the box and whatever was left for my allowance was the height of my standoffs, which ended up being 1&1/2". I didn't horn load it, I thought about it, but I didn't have enough room for what I wanted and my Storage box would be much much smaller.

As for the amp, I haven't decided where to put it. I might mount it where the jack bottle is behind the panel.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

You have me thinking about a setup (box) like the one JAMAS has -- with an internal sub. (Could fire forward, backward, or down...IDK)

One big box...a bit higher though.

Lid opens with speaker inside....but protected with a large wooden "L" to box it into a corner. But this "L" wouldn't span all the way from front-to-rear. That way, the woofer would be [both] open to the box, but protected from internally stored objects. Maybe some screen to complete the internal chamber.

I'm not sure if internal objects (as I describe above) would have much determent on sound level. Maybe it could/should be more open...say with 1x2's and screen? Maybe a horn-loaded woofer in the box...with only an outlet?....Hmmmm...Space for the sub too?

Seems it should sit up as high as the seats -- when folded down.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    You have me thinking about a setup (box) like the one JAMAS has -- with an internal sub. (Could fire forward, backward, or down...IDK)

One big box...a bit higher though.

Lid opens with speaker inside....but protected with a large wooden "L" to box it into a corner. But this "L" wouldn't span all the way from front-to-rear. That way, the woofer would be [both] open to the box, but protected from internally stored objects. Maybe some screen to complete the internal chamber.

I'm not sure if internal objects (as I describe above) would have much determent on sound level. Maybe it could/should be more open...say with 1x2's and screen? Maybe a horn-loaded woofer in the box...with only an outlet?....Hmmmm...Space for the sub too?

Seems it should sit up as high as the seats -- when folded down.
    One thing to keep in mind is to make all your measurements of your trunk space before diving in. I had all these ideas in my head and on "napkins" only to find that most of it wouldn't work because the space is a lot smaller than you think.

My idea was to have it flush with the back of the seats when folded forward to make a nice flat storage surface, I can't remember the measurements, but I think it was only 9" in height give or take an inch. If I got what you described pictured in my head right, you may not have much room to do what you want. But I am interested in seeing a sketch of your design.