Thread: Hella Optilux 2020 - front cladding install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very nice install; I love how they fill-up and perfectly fit the oval openings in the front cladding. I just checked-out the Hella website, and must say you got the best model available for the application with dual fog/driving lights. Hella does make a cool looking Carbon Fiber housing oval fog light with a blue lens, but the Carbon Fiber housing would be pretty much hidden by the surrounding cladding.

While on the Hella website, I see they make a neat product called "Shieldz"-- which is a filmlike tinted-color static-cling lens protector available in Clear, Yellow, Blue, Smoke tints that can change the color of the lights while protecting them from rocks and chips. They can be custom trimmed with scissors to perfectly fit the oval Hella's. Thus, you could change the lighting of your lights to perhaps Yellow, Blue or Smoke. A really cool effect on your dual element lights would be to go "half-n-half"-- meaning; cut and trim a Yellow film just for the FOG portion half, and then cut and trim a Blue film for the DRIVING portion half. That would be way cool-- Yellow Fog's and Blue Driving lights all in one housing!!! Give this mod some further thought with the static-cling "Shieldz" by Hella.

Yes, it seems the wiring portion of the job is always the worst when installing auxilary lights. WARN Industries (the Winch people) make "wireless" lights that use a remote transmitter eliminating the firewall wiring pass-thru issue. However, the WARN lights are limited in selection choices and really don't have one that perfectly fits in the oval slots of the VX like the Hella's do.

Again, great install. Looks sharp!!!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Hella makes a wireless as well. Would have to have two for this application so I just did it the old fashioned way...

I was blessed that biju had run a large guage power wire through the fire wall with a large rubber gormet to keep water out. I was able to trim this to accept the pass thru of the in-line fuse holder. Without that it would have really been a mess...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up