Thread: Head gaskets...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

And another thought.....

I'm sure that after having coolant going thru the exhaust, I imagine my pre cat O2 sensors are probably shot. Could they be sending any bad, or no signal to the ECU and making the poor shifts?
    I looked at all the electronic plugs, and couldn't find any problems.
    Back to the shop manual.........

thats odd........

went to work on the vx again tonight, and replaced both up O2 sensors, checked all along the tranny again for anything loose. transmission is snug and tight to the supports. checked the front driveshaft, and got a little play when i tried to turn it.
    so anyway, after i got the O2 sensors on, and reset the puter, i took it for a drive. the truck is spunky again! but i knew there was a stop up ahead, and prepared for "the clunk"..........but it never came! so i drove a bit more, and slowed, and again no clunk! so im supposing that the vx fixed its own problem like others trucks have done. so

bottom line is, im back on the road!!!!

i think ii found the problem..........

almost all back together! a shout out to buffy who inspired me to do a little cleaning up of the engine compartment. thank you buffy!
    and thanks to all who put up with my project!

i think i am going to combine my writeup of the intake gasket replacement with a write up of head gasket replacement. looking back, it really wasnt that bad of an ordeal. just alot of wrench turning, hand cramps, and organization!

thanks again!

i dont think i posted those pics right......
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 12/22/2010 at 08:02 PM Reason: dont know how to post pics

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    i think i am going to combine my writeup of the intake gasket replacement with a write up of head gasket replacement. looking back, it really wasnt that bad of an ordeal. just alot of wrench turning, hand cramps, and organization!
    I'd like to read your write up on the Intake gasket replacement - do you have it online?

Carl

Carl,
    I do not have it finished yet. Haven't had alot of computer time.
    But I would be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.
    Shoot me a email or pm.

Wink

A long time ago...when I was running my Dueler Revo A/T's with no suspension lift....I was concerned about cross rotating them often to get good tire life.

I jacked my VX up in the driveway using the stock jack under the rear axle with jack-stands and also a floor jack under the crossmember as I needed it on each side.

The moral of the story is that when I was done mine shifted like yours as I drove it down the road. I was scared that I tweaked the frame or trannie so the only thing I could think to do was to reverse-order my jacking procedure to hopefully un-tweak whatever I did....it lead me to believe it worked because it shifted fine afterwards. I always took it to a tire place to cross rotate tires after that...lol.

Now, this is the second set of unidirectional treaded tires so I don't have to cross-rotate them..just fronts to back and vice-versa which means just jacking up one side at a time...no problems with shifting!

Like you...I really don't know exactly what happened to cause the shifting issues...or if it really fixed itself and I just think I did it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?