Thread: At Long Last... New Tires and Rims

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool At Long Last... New Tires and Rims

So I've been looking for a very specific set of rims for at least six months now to no avail. I'd find traces of ones for sale on Craigslist, but then they'd be gone by the time I called. A very nice guy in LA had a set for sale, but they weren't complete so I passed. Finally in doing some searching on this site I found a for-sale thread that a former member posted 7 or 8 months ago, but no one had ever responded to. So I give the guy a call, and it turns out he's still got them in his parent's shed in Pittsburgh! Apparently he and his wife moved to the Carribean to become charter boat captains two years ago, and although they sold everything else (including his VX) they were never able to find a buyer for the rims.

So with my bonus / tax refund in-hand the wife and I drove 14 hours round trip to Pittsburgh this weekend to pick these up. The tires are Yokohama AVS/T's in 265-60-18, and barely have 3K on them (even the little nibs are still there). I was up trimming the cladding until the wee hours of the morning to make them fit (T4B and I discovered I have especially tight front wheel wells when doing the nerf bar install last year) but they look great! It's a max performance summer tire so it's not for crawling, but they should work great in the sand (where cross section is more important than block spacing).

The rims... well I think you'll recognize them.

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

18" Borbet CW3's!!!

Sorry for the crappy pics, the morning sunlight was playing tricks with my cheap digital camera. I'll post better ones tonight or tomorrow, hopefully with the Thule 696 rack mounted.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 07/21/2010 at 09:05 AM Reason: Adding rim name for search engine...