Thread: trooper diff. compatibility

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    oh ok, thats not too bad then....around 500-600 in parts??? maybe a few hundred in labor if i had a shop do it??
    Let's wait for the Zeusters response, he has FAR more experience with setting up gears than I do.
    On my best day, I might have a rudimentary grasp of the "how to's" of setting up gears...
    I have a local homie that'll set em' up for me for fiddy, but I have to do all the R & R, & bring em' to his shop for the setup.
    Pulling the sensors has me a little cautious, as even seasond pros (Jerry Lemond) have trouble sometimes, getting them out in reusable condition...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    hmmm...so once again, when i do mine, its best to have a shop do it so i dont have to worry about the sensors because it would be their responsibility to make sure they are removed and replaced properly...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Let's wait for the Zeusters response, he has FAR more experience with setting up gears than I do.
    On my best day, I might have a rudimentary grasp of the "how to's" of setting up gears...
    I don't have that much experience with gear setup, actually. I have participated in a couple of builds on Jeep axles and witnessed the practice, but that's 'bout it. I do think you are correct about setting the preload on the pinion shaft. You shouldn't have to mess with that at all, unless you want to put in a new pinion seal. However, when swapping out the LSD for anything else, you should make sure the gears mesh correctly again. But the guidline is to use the shims that were used for the stock diff in their original locations first, as a starting point. From there, you may or may not have to add, remove, or relocate shims. So it is nice to have shims in hand in case you do need them.

And Jack, I think your estimate is right for the Aussie Locker parts. What I was trying to say is, when having someone set up your diff, whether you wish to install an ARB or an Aussie, they should charge you the same. You will have to drill and tap for the air line though as well. So yeah, to run an ARB, it should cost around $1200 in parts. The Aussie plus carrier/3rd is far less at $5-600 in parts. The install charge of either diff should be about equal though.

Regarding the sensors, that is a personal call. The difference in cost to have a shop work on a removed 3rd versus an installed axle assembly is massive!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

ok, are the sensors something that could just be ordered for the new 3rd?? that way you dont have to worry about taking them out of the old one?

hmmm...so thats something i need to read in to...because if i can just order new ones then i will not have to worry about keeping those ones in good shape

ouch...maybe i should just be really careful taking them out huh??

i dunno...maybe this whole locker thing is beyond my ability lol...

maybe an air locker for the front would be easier

Hey, I just saw an episode on Extreme 4x4 where they're setting up an ARB in a dana 44. Although we have a third member and they dont, many of the steps are the same, if not similar, and the show would help you guys understand what's going on here. I think you can watch the episodes for free online. Here's a link to this episode:

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in.../ep?ep_show=XT

So, as you can see, you probably will have to mess with the shimming a little there Dub. Also, this is a good read to get ready. Again, it's not identical, but it will set you on the right track concept-wise.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Hey, I just saw an episode on Extreme 4x4 where they're setting up an ARB in a dana 44. Although we have a third member and they dont, many of the steps are the same, if not similar, and the show would help you guys understand what's going on here. I think you can watch the episodes for free online. Here's a link to this episode:

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in.../ep?ep_show=XT

So, as you can see, you probably will have to mess with the shimming a little there Dub. Also, this is a good read to get ready. Again, it's not identical, but it will set you on the right track concept-wise.
    Great info Ascinder...THANKS!...

You could have Independent4x make up a third member complete with locker and gears (might be a good time to switch to 4.56? 'Course then you'd have to do the front gears too...). Then all you have to do is swap thirds...that is what I did for my lockers.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    The sensors are in the axle housing ends. They need to be removed to get the axle shafts out - at least that was what Spazz told me. So we did remove them successfully. I don't remember exactly why they needed to be pulled though.
    The axle shafts won't pull out with the sensors in place...I'VE TRIED...
    Then buttoned everything back up, went to Moab, & had fun anyway...
    Last edited by Ldub : 03/04/2009 at 08:44 PM