Thread: 5-Speed Swap Info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sounds like it might be best to find a complete '99 5-speed Trooper. You could just swap the motor, trans, computer, and t-case out of the Trooper at your own pace. Only the finishing touches would require finding a Rodeo, it sounds like, so that would be the only junk yard scrounging you would have to do. Selling the left over parts from both rigs might offset the price of buying a complete Trooper. Does computer swapping in a late model Isuzu create problems with emissions though? I know some vehicles won't pass emissions inspection after a computer swap because the VIN's don't match and it throws a code...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

I suppose it would depend on the emissions laws for the particular state.

Not all ECUs store the vin (don't know if the VX does or not) I don't think there is any problem swapping an ECU for another compatible ECU since they do break sometimes... you might even be able to find someone with Isuzu programming equipment who is capable of swapping the vin in the ECU if necessary.

As far as emissions are concerned on a federal level... you're not allowed to remove any of the emissions equipment, and if they need to be replace they must be replaced with OE parts, if OE parts are not availble then they maybe replaced with similarly speced, certified, aftermarket replacements.

It is perfectly legal to swap the engine and transmission out completely HOWEVER the engine must be from the same model year or newer vehicle, it must be an EPA approved motor (that basically means it needs to come from a car originally sold in the USA), and you must preserve all of the original emissions equipment from that motor.

Obviously some states are more forgiving than others, CA is the worst, as everything in the engine bay needs to be CARB approved, so if you do an engine swap your custom headers built to make it fit will cause it to fail ... that doesn't mean you cant do swaps though... I know Hinson Supercars makes a swap kit to put a Chevy LS1 in a Nissan 240sx and they built custom headers and got them CARB approved making the swap 100% legal in CA as long as you use a factory CARB approved LS1 engine with all the original emissions equipment.

I don't see any real issue with swapping just the transmission and computer out, as long as the computer is a "factory replacement" for that motor since depending on how you look at it the ECU is part of the emissions equipment.

I'm in NH and the only form of emissions testing done here is hooking up to the OBDII port and checking for codes, as long as the reading comes back clean you're good to go, they don't even do a sniffer test and pre ODBII cars (1995 and earlier) are completely emissions exempt...

Even if I left the auto computer on there and it threw transmission codes, I believe a good shop with an intelligent tech would realize that the codes he was seeing weren't relevant to the emissions system.... or you could "know someone" I drove a WRX with no emissions equipment for several years and never had a problem getting a sticker... these days I'm trying to stay 100% legal, but at the same time my summer car is a 1995 240sx, and I bought that year specifically so I wouldn't have to worry about OBDII and emissions testing (hey legal is legal).

Most states don't even do emissions though.

Theres a rally spec v-cross run by Tubus Racing in Australia with a 5spd of its own, and a quad cam v6 block, aluminum 3.5 like ours. be interesting to see what they might relay to the community

linkage:
    http://tubusracing.com/en/index.php?...id=5&Itemid=27

pretty much un-related, but being the owner of a 92
    Subaru SVX, about 3 yrs ago our group finally mastered
    the 5 spd conversion on our cars, but since they did it
    many have found the next week link, being the clutch.
    Its way more fun to drive, better mpg too, but they do
    drive their cars harder and go thru clutches a bit often.

Good info though on your research, good luck.

Check out our VX accessories @
    www.planetsvx.com
    click on the Vehicross button on the left side
    of the page

Quote Originally Posted by Vehi-Cross-Az View Post
    pretty much un-related, but being the owner of a 92
    Subaru SVX, about 3 yrs ago our group finally mastered
    the 5 spd conversion on our cars, but since they did it
    many have found the next week link, being the clutch.
    Its way more fun to drive, better mpg too, but they do
    drive their cars harder and go thru clutches a bit often.

Good info though on your research, good luck.
    Those SVXs are cool... one of my college buddies had one that he put an STi 6 speed in. I don't think he owns it anymore.

The older 5 speeds are kind of crappy though (I used to own an 02 WRX myself) the housing around the clutch would wear out and you'd get that "juddering" when starting out from a stop on wet or cold days, then of course the 1st gear synchros would wear out really fast so you'd have to double clutch if you ever wanted to downshift into first.

All problems with the subaru 5 speeds since the mid 90s. I don't think they fixed the design until the 04 models when they migrated to the same "butterfly" synchros and clutch housing design of the 6 speed.

of course the 6 speed wasn't without it's flaws either, nor was the clutch... but if you're going to go through the trouble of swapping out the transmission it's worth spending a little extra coin on an improved aftermarket clutch IMO.

?
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

race car modifications are cool, but not all that helpful.

they have the financial backing to build custom 1 off parts that just aren't feasible for you and I to make use of.

they have no qualms just cutting a new hole in the floorboard to run the shifter and welding over the old one.

If I were building a race spec VX there is no way in hell I would use an MUA5 transmission... it's complete garbage for that application.

HOWEVER for someone like myself who is build a daily driver&weekend off-roader, the MUA5 is the cheapest/easiest/quickest/most OEM like path to getting a 5 speed, and it's more than up to the task for the kinds of things it will be used for.

I can tell you from that picture that neither the clutch nor the brake are ISUZU standard equipment... in all likely hood the transmission is a $12K racing trans with a custom/easily swappable bell housing and transfer case.

those guys rarely ever use off the shelf parts