Thread: 5-Speed Swap Info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaske View Post
    Great info, TS, thanks for sharing! I have often daydreamed about doing a complete drivetrain swap in my VX. We've discussed in some other threads the possibility of dropping in a turbo diesel / 5-speed combo from a Trooper, and if I only had the time and expertise I would have done this long ago (BTW if there are any volunteers out there, I could be open to the idea of paying/bartering/trading or whatever for some help! ). Have you considered anything along these lines?
    baby steps... swapping out the most complex part of a vehicle is a LOT of work.

there are a ton of things to consider too
    People obviously consider stuff like
    -will it fit?
    -will I have to have a custom drive shaft made
    -will the gearing work?

but what about..
    -will I have to fabricate custom engine and transmission mounts?
    -will the factory radiator have enough cooling power
    -will I have to make custom radiator hoses?
    -will I have to make custom power steering hoses?
    -will cruise control still work? what has to be done to preserve it?
    -will A/C still work? what has to be done to preserve it?
    -will the current fuel system support diesel or will I have to upgrade the pump, filter, regulator, and lines? Will the current lines even plug into the new engine?
    - lots and lots of other tiny details

being that you're going from an isuzu to an isuzu you'll probably have an easier time over all, but moving to some engine from another make and model altogether, you're in for a LOT of work.

I'm in the early stages of swapping an LS1 into my Nissan 240sx and let me tell you there are a LOT of tiny details, little crap that you don't even think about like... hmm I need to use an adapter to hook up just about EVERY hose, the wiring harness is about 6" too short so I have to cut and lengthen EVERY wire on the harness. or the fact that while the motor fits the headers do no... oops there's another grand I wasn't planning on spending.

I looked at the MUA5 transmission because it's made to work with that motor, in a similar chassis. If Isuzu had built the VX in a 5-speed they probably would have chosen that transmission as well... is it the best transmission? no, there are lots of other transmissions I'd like to use first but it's the path of least resistance, you're probably not going to find a cheaper/easier 5 speed to swap in, and it's an upgrade from the auto trans that's in there now...

Anything is possible, it's just a matter of resources.

I'm planning on looking into this swap more seriously in the spring... hopefully my LS1 project will be done by then and the bank will have some spending money.

Hi,

New guy here thinking about buying a vehicross and putting a 5sp in it.

What about the possibility of mating the TOD to an Aisin AR-5 (MA5) out of a 4WD Colorado/Canyon/H3?

Does the TOD "talk" to the TCM at all or just the ECM?

I think the bellhousing is the same as a 4L30, but I could be wrong.

more info here: Link

Edit: now looking at it, it appears the starter motor is in a different possition. I can't tell from the picture, but I wonder if the the bellhousing is part of the transmission case or if it is two pieces. Wikipedia claims the AR-5 came on some Troopers/Bighorn.
    Last edited by Octamog : 10/03/2008 at 12:13 PM

Upon further investigation, the AR-5 is based on the 15X series of Aisin transmissions. Apparently the bellhousings for these will all interchange, so it should be possible to mate it to the 3.5l Isuzu.

More info here: Link

Now, can an adapter be made to mate the TOD to the transmission and is the output shaft of the trans the same size/splines as the TOD?

Does anyone have size/spline info for the TOD?

As far as I know the TOD will only work with the automatic. The TOD and the automatic transmission computer are one in the same.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    As far as I know the TOD will only work with the automatic. The TOD and the automatic transmission computer are one in the same.

Thanks for the response! So to retain the TOD would require a dedicated TOD controller, which is probably what the rally cars are using. That would not bother me, if one was available... time to pop over to the TOD controller thread and ask some questions there....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

coachreed attempted to keep the TOD system on his LS1/T-56 swap

IIRC he had to crack open the transmission to swap out the output shafts and have a custom adapter plate fabbed up to mate with the TOD system... I suspect you'd have to do the same to get any transmission to work with the TOD system. I have no idea of what was done on the computer side to get it to work.

I realize that the TOD system is part of what makes a VX a VX but really it's just a electronically controlled AWD system. I wouldn't be surprised if the rally VX dumped it altogether in lieu of full time 4WD.

Considering there's a lot of effort to turn the TOD system into a manually selectable 2WD/4WD system I wonder why even bother keeping it?