Hello there. I came across this trip report written by Jeff Ross aka Paddler, Zubicon, and several other aliases.

He granted me permission to post it elsewhere.

[quote name='Zubicon' date='May 21 2007, 07:53 AM' post='36833']
Ultimate Adventure 07:
The concept was simple, run as many trails as possible in a 9 day period. The majority of the trails had to be never run before by the participants, with a mixture of trails being both challenging and scenic. The group had to be small to allow a more efficient forward momentum. The rigs and drivers had to be capable as well to keep spotting to an absolute minimum.
Number of Trails Run: 24
Number of Trail Miles: 356
Number of Trail Days: 9
Number of web wheeling miles: ZERO!
Total Cost of Fuel: $313.25
Most expensive fuel: $3.49 a gallon mid –grade at both Moab and Blanding
Cheapest Fuel: $3.19 a gallon in West Jordan, Utah
Total Cost of Food: $207.47
Total incidental Costs: $72.71
Total Repair Costs: $9.97
Total Freak Incidents where assistance was rendered by the group: 3 –
(1) A couple from Texas in a brand new GMC pick up decided to take it four wheeling into Bull Canyon. Lost a freeze plug and the cooling system wouldn’t hold water. Group participants towed it out of the Canyon and into Moab.
(2) The elderly gentlemen (probably late 80’s/early 90’s) who slammed into the light pole at McD’s then put it in reverse and drove back 30 meters and slammed into a fifth wheel.
(3) The young guy who decided to perform a back flip off the 25 foot cliff at Left Hand and over rotated slamming back first into the water, then instantaneously started bleeding through the mouth.
J.O. Award: The idiot who drove his rental Chevy Cobalt up through the entrance of Behind the Rocks, thus partially blocking the trail. (no assistance was rendered to this moron because he felt it was just a big joke.)

Day One & Two
Trails: Notum Trail, Upper Muley Twist, Burr Trail, Hole in the Rock

Left the SLC Valley at 0500 enroute to Capital Reef National Park HQ.
0900 met with a friend of mine of the Trailseekers Club (Keith, a.k.a. Locomigo, 99 Isuzu Amigo).

Headed south on the Notum Trail which had absolutely fantastic scenery. The quote of the day came from a passenger in a Camry on the same extremely washboard road. He sounded exactly like Arnold Swartznager. “Road, not made for Camry” (Note: Had to be there, it was hilarious).

Notum Trail

Turned west on Burr Trail for 3 miles then headed north on Upper Muley Twist which had some pretty cool arches on it.

Upper Muley Twist

Upper Muley Twist's Double Arch

View from Upper Muley Twist's hiking trail

Came back out on the Burr Trail and headed back east/southeast to the Bullfrog Marina. I found this portion of the Burr Trail to be very bland scenic wise.

When we arrived at the Marina, we were within a minute of my predicted arrival time, and had some time to kill, so we waded into the lake to cool off while waiting for the others.
Met up with John and Janet from Utah4x4club in their Newly acquired Toyota Tacoma as well as Kevin and Nan also from Utah4x4club driving his red YJ. All participants were on time at each rendezvous point, a personal first for me. Caught the 1500hr ferry from Bull Frog to Hall’s Crossing (Note: You must pay to enter Bullfrog Marina and you must pay (CASH ONLY $20.00) to ride the ferry.

Lake Powell Ferry

Fueled up at Hall’s Crossing (DO NOT MISS THIS STEP OR YOU MAY NOT MAKE IT BACK).

Headed out to Hole in the Rock. The first incident occurred while trying to find the trailhead. Most internet sites state that it is 15 miles from Hall’s Crossing. All four of our vehicles had 16.2 miles. While trying to find it I overheated running the AC (NOTE: must be a Heep thing and I don’t want to understand).

Stopped at a Natural Amphitheater just prior to way point 8 at dusk to camp for the night. While setting up camp a serious of vehicles came through on their exit from the trail. The first were three vehicles all strapped together. The second set was a Heep strapping a heep w/trailer. The first thing that entered my mind was what the heck did we get ourselves into. I got on the CB and inquired as to what the deal was. The first group explained that vehicle number one was the engine, vehicle number three the brakes, because vehicle number two in the middle computer went out (must be another Heep thing). The second group explained that the Heep with the trailer grenaded his rear drive line. Then they explained not to worry because they were screwing off when all this happened.

Campsite on Hole in the Rock

Went to bed, woke up next morning only to find that my drivers rear tire seemed to have attracted a wood screw which flattened it. (I found another at the campsite). Keith found that his exhaust collector seemed to manage to acquire a rather large hole in it. For the remainder of the trip there was never a doubt when he was behind you. Sounded like a sprint car taking turn three.

Packed up camp and headed out to Cheese camp. It took 8.5 hours to get out. The trail had tremendous scenery and excellent wheeling. Highlights would be Kevin’s attempt at keeping us entertained by lifting the passenger sides both wheels more than 3 feet off the ground when running down the chute (How he didn’t roll is beyond me), then John running 70 mph+ on top of Grey Mesa, then Kevin doing a wheel stand coming up the chute. Somewhere along the way Murphy’s Law grabbed John as well for he crushed his remote reservoir for one of his shocks. We arrived at cheese camp around 1700, stayed about 30 minutes, then headed back to the original camp. This time it only took 3.5 hours. Quote of the day would had to of been when I burned the crap out of my mouth while trying to drink my water. “Man, this is like coffee hot!” It stuck with me the remainder of the trip and caught on quite fast with others. It was 97 degrees or better for the entire HITR Phase. We set up camp once again at the amphitheater and headed out the next morning without incident.

Surprise Canyon which was devastated during the floods. We almost drove off it at night coming back.

Slickrock as far as the eye can see

Hot tub, hole in the rock style

Kevin making his way up the shelf towards Grey Mesa (Probably the more difficult section of the trip

Phenominal views atop Grey Mesa

Kevin coming down one of the steeper fins

Additional Notes: Ensure that you have multiple GPS units, maps of this area, and the ability to utilize them. This is not an easy trail to follow at times, especially during the hours of dusk. Also you have to be completely self reliable.

BIG NOTE: We did catch a photo of kevin entertaining us in the Chute. That would be I directly behind him about to witness one heck of a roll over!!!!! Most times photos don't capture the steepness of obstacles but Tia sure did an excellent job of it on this photo. Keep in mind this was snapped when his front wheel had already come back to planet earth. Enlarge it and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

{continues}