Thread: spark plug problem (not the VX)

spark plug problem (not the VX)

My buddys Accord (94,EX w/ Vtec) started running like crap, seemed to be a misfire.

best guess was a fouled spark plug, so we decided to swap the plugs. first plug, the spark plug wire just tore clean in half, plastic tube that goes into the well stayed in the well. Wound up happening on all 4 of the others too

managed to get 2/4 tubes to pull out cleanly, the bottoms of them were slightly melted and very brittle

the 3rd as we were pulling at it broke in half where it grips the spark plug ceramic, leaving about 1/2" of ceramic exposed.. i was able to get a damaged bolt remover on it and very carefully removed it

the 4th broke in the same place.. but refuses to come out.. the bolt out socket just ground off the ceramic, so now its too skinny to get a bolt out on it.... I'm still about 1/2" or more away from the nut on the spark plug and it will not budge. cant get any pliers on them because the wells are at about 4" deep

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

When that happens I usually just get a screw driver and hammer in there and bust out the rest of the ceramic since its already broken anyway. Just get a vacuum with a skinny tube or blow some compressed air in the well to clean out any ceramic bits before pulling the plug out. Once the ceramic is all gone you can get the socket onto the plug to remove it.
    --Dave