Thread: Door Seal being Torn by door

Door Seal being Torn by door

Anybody else have this happen before?

I'm learning about my new rig and started to notice that the rubber seal over the drivers door had a couple small imperfection (a gouge, and rub marks). Now, a couple weeks later, there are a couple tears that appears to be caused by the door "shaving" over the first lip of the rubber gasket and causing it to tear (about 1inch long, but still connected on both ends). It's on the piller between the door and windshield and looks as if the drivers door is about 1/8th inch to low????

I can probably raise the door if there is enough slop in the bolt holes, but can I get a new door gasket? There is also a spot around my driver side marker light where the "clear coat" is peeling (Just a small spot). The car sales man (and manager) were positive that it was just a factory flaw and absolutly sure that there had been no body work done to the car. I'm starting to wonder???

I'll look it over some more soon, but any info or tips would be welcomed.
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Actually, I've got the same problem with my passenger side weatherstripping being gouged presumably by the door. Seeing as how mine is close to 7 years old now, I kind of expect little things like that. I'm hoping getting replacement weatherstripping won't be a bear like it was for my Alfas when I had them
    Congrats on your new purchase!

yeah,
    mine has tore right above the mirror about an inch on the drivers side.....thinking about some black silicone to "glue" it back together. right now, when i close the door, it sometimes pokes out. havent figured out why it did this though. mines an 01.

Arrow

Yeah, same thing happened to mine. The black silicone is a good idea.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Any chance that adjusting the striker plate in the door jam would help raise the door as it's shutting, preventing the door from coming into contact with the seal in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker
    Any chance that adjusting the striker plate in the door jam would help raise the door as it's shutting, preventing the door from coming into contact with the seal in the first place?
    It appears that the door hinges don't have any slop, so the striker plate shouldn't come in to play (good idea though).

Kinda glad to hear it's something that has happened on other rigs (sorry guys, not glad it happened to you). Maybe mine just happened to start havin the problem when I got it, and not related to any work done to it. I hope so, and will try to loosen the door hinge bolts and raise it a tad (probably won't happen untill this weekend).

Black caulk might be the ticket if I can align it better, possibly sew it together a bit with some nylon thread of some sort.

Thanks everyone

techy,
    make sure you use 100% silicone, not just black caulk!!! my plan, although not done yet, is to put a SMALL bead behind the torn piece, put the loose piece in place, put some wax paper over the repair, and CAREFULLY close the door to hold it in place while the silicone cures. the wax paper is to keep the silicone from sticking to the door, and also "mould" the silicone squeeze out, if there is any, to the shape of the door. in theory, i think it will work, but again, havent done it yet. will let you know when i do. also, you might clean the weatherstripping with alcohol first to really clean the surface.
    peace out,
    david