Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goblin blood on my garage floor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Goblin blood on my garage floor

OK, so there is some clear green fluid leaking from my VX. I assume this must be antifreeze.

Anybody know why this would suddenly start leaking and what I can do?

Worried - Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Yep, that's anti-freeze...

Start-er up

drive to the store for whatever (to warm up the engine)

let it idle

pop the hood

grab your flashlight

see where it's leaking

can't see anything ???

do same thing with flashlight, laying on your back under the radiator/ hoses, etc.

Examine all hoses, try to follow moisture trail backwards to the scource, keep fingers & clothing AWAY from belts/ moving parts, etc.

Also, could try tracing moisture backwards without starting/ warming first.
    Good Luck !

See if you can trace it back to it's source. Get under it with a flashlight and start lookin. My GUESS would be a hose is leaking at a fitting. I HOPE that is all it is. If you still can't find the leak static, start it up and CAREFULLY look under the VX and see if it starts leaking. Did you do any maintenance to the cooling system lately? Did you add any antifreeze? Check to see that your overflow reservior is not to full. (please forgive me if I am oversimplyfiing (sp) the situation but NEVER open the radiator cap when it is hot...)

John
    John Walker
    Colorado

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I have not done anything to the coolant system at all, no fills, no flushes, nada.

Where is the overflow reservoir? I will post some photos of the underneath later, there looks to be some white crusty deposits down there in various places. The weird thing, is that its in the garage right now, and it ain't leaking anything at the moment...

And I know this sounds stupid, but I did a little wheeling yesterday. My VX went up and down some pretty steep hills (about 45 degrees I would imagine). Could this cause anything to leak?

Supposing it is leaking at one of the hoses or something, great, but if it isn't just a simple leak, what could cause antifreeze to spew?

Thanks - Bart

even though its not leaking anymore, make sure to put on some safety goggles before you get down under your VX to look for the leak! i cant say from experience.. but id guess a drop of antifreeze to the eye would ruin your weekend.. after a little mishap changing my fuel filter out i always use goggles when under the vx

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I have not done anything to the coolant system at all, no fills, no flushes, nada.

Where is the overflow reservoir? I will post some photos of the underneath later, there looks to be some white crusty deposits down there in various places. The weird thing, is that its in the garage right now, and it ain't leaking anything at the moment...

And I know this sounds stupid, but I did a little wheeling yesterday. My VX went up and down some pretty steep hills (about 45 degrees I would imagine). Could this cause anything to leak?

Supposing it is leaking at one of the hoses or something, great, but if it isn't just a simple leak, what could cause antifreeze to spew?

Thanks - Bart
    Here ya go Bart...the overflow tank in all it's glory !

goblin goo x 2

Ya mine started leeking for no reason as well but I notice it only leaked when I parked in drive way at a slant but doesntw hen I am level. I looked didnt see where was comming from. Well didnt do through look really well just qucik check. Well couple days now its gone <shrug>even when I do park back in the drive way. I may replace hoses just in case to be on safe side. It is odd all of a sudden it started leeking and yeah I went up and down some hills myself but that was awhile back.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

OK, I didn't know that was called an "overflow" tank. I thought that was just the regular reservoir for antifreeze. Last night I took a grease pencil and marked the level to see if it drops. Its already low, down towards the MIN line.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    Here ya go Bart...the overflow tank in all it's glory !

So this morning, before I went out into the fresh snow here, I checked the garage floor. Zippo. Nada. Ziltch. No more goblin blood?!?!?!

So, could this just have been a fluke? I mean, I will keep watching of course, but why would this happen only once? Maybe it was overspill from wheeling up a 45° angle? Or is it actually possible that my VX could have been running hot, causing the goblin blood to boil over?

I should also add, that last night when I got home from the bar I checked the oil level, and it was frighteningly low on the dipstick. I added 2/3s of a quart. I just changed the oil (on 11/17 to be exact), and it already drank up over a quart since then! I suppose the uphill loads here can cause excessive oil consumption above and beyond what we are already used to but jeez!!

The VX really is a strange vehicle...

Bart

Unhappy Its a freakin mess under there...

OK, so, nice and sunny today. I can actually see under the hood now.

First, let me say, since I posted this thread, here is how much coolant I have lost:

And, thinking back, I am pretty sure that the tank was about halfway between MIN and MAX before I left Chicago a couple months ago. So, it must have been loosing juice probably for about a month now...

This shot is from underneath, about dead center. The arrows point to where I think the juice is pooling, and then dripping down from.

With hood open and the sun shining I can see another spot looking down, about dead center behind the serp belt where it looks like some more dripping has taken place.

AND THEN! I see this, up around the hoses on top of the fan housing:

Its just a huge mess under the hood and I don't know wtf to do.

I'm gonna try to clean it off under there as much as I can today, so I can try to isolate the leak(s). Also, how safe is it for me to hose off under the hood? Can I spray my hose down there without any risk of damage? Or should I just try to clean the underside?

I don't want to make the problem worse.

Thanks for the help,

Bart
    Last edited by nfpgasmask : 02/13/2009 at 02:07 PM

As Tone already mentioned above...it sounds like you should check as best you can under the intake. Here is a thread below that could help you with your problem.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=coolant
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Roger that Roger, and thanks for the link. I read through that thread and this definitely seems like a possibility, which totally sucks cause it looks like this is going to be something I cannot fix myself, and something that isnt going to be cheap to have a shop fix. I am already planning to do a brake/rotor bearing repack, and that is gonna cost me at least $400 when all is said and done, and if this leak problem persists, I am probably going to be out at least another $600 for labor, and probably a few hundred more for parts. And I DON'T have 2 cars. The VX is it.

On a good note, were ever it is leaking from, it seems that it is leaking REALLY slow. I took my VX to the self-car wash today. They have one of those power washers so I hosed off the under belly pretty good.

Which reminds me, is it safe to pressure wash under the hood? Or is this a bad idea?

Anyway, I stopped at Kragen and bought a jug of Prestone universal 50/50 and filled up my reservoir to the MAX line. So, I will watch it from this point forward. The thing that seems weird to me is that I don't think it is chronically leaking, I think it is only leaking sometimes.

The worst part of all this is that I don't have 2 pennies to rub together right now, so an expensive shop visit may have to wait a couple weeks.

As far as looking around the intake, I don't even know what that is. Is this where the airbox pulls air into the engine? I will have to fire up the manual and see what I can see.

I haven't even had my VX for a year, and I've only got 38,000 miles on it.
    Sheesh. Talk about a high maintenance vehicle.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
    As Tone already mentioned above...it sounds like you should check as best you can under the intake. Here is a thread below that could help you with your problem.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=coolant

gettin back to basics

bart,
    im no master mechanic by any means, but when you are filling up the resevour, are you sure that the radiator is full also?? otherwise, if the rad is low, and the resivor is full, when the engine warms up, it would drop the level in the res. dramaticly, and make you think you are loosing alot. also, when the engine is upp and warm, have you done any sqeezing on the hoses??? SOMETIMES, when you sqeeze the hoses and everything is under pressure,you can cause the leak to actually "squirt, or spray" instead of just drip, and be hard to find. so get your flashlight, or 1000 million candlepoweer spotlight, and start looking between the radiator fin while your squeesing the hose, look at seams while squeezing, and so on and so on. anywhere there is a hose, or connection, the drain nut tranny lines, etc. any leak can be deceptive from it leaking, and the air blowing that leak allover the place makes it harder to pinpoint. dont know, just trying to help. maybe this is obviouse stuff. good luck with it.......im pullin for ya
    david
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 12/03/2006 at 09:29 AM Reason: forgot my point on hose sqeezin.....lol

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Which reminds me, is it safe to pressure wash under the hood? Or is this a bad idea?

As far as looking around the intake, I don't even know what that is. Is this where the airbox pulls air into the engine? I will have to fire up the manual and see what I can see.Bart
    Pressure washing under hood probably isn't a good idea...lots of electrical connections etc. that hate water...especially high press. water that can get into places it shouldn't be.

Here's a pic with some red things indicating where to look...

See if you can trace the thing that the middle red thing is pointing to (that the upper radiator hose attaches to), back under the intake manifold where it attaches to the block...this valley under the intake is most likely where your leak is.
    There are heater hoses, thermostat housing, etc. under there that could be the scource.
    BTW, you'll need a flashlight...

Morning Report:

OK, so, my VX has been sitting all night in the cold garage.

The level of my fluid in the reservoir has dropped almost 3/4" since yesterday!! But, there is no sign of a leak??? No puddle, no wetness underneath, nothing!

I opened the radiator cap, and fluid is right there at the top, nice and green. Since the truck has been sitting for 12 hours, could the pressure drop and thus cause the fluid level in the reservoir to drop? I guess I will find out in a little while after I drive around for a bit.

One thing I did test: I stopped running the heat (not to my wife's liking, but) and it seems the leaking has stopped or is going somewhere I cannot see at least. I guess I should try blasting the heat and see if more fluid comes out. I know you said I would notice a smell or wetness in the truck if it was my heater core, but...????

This is frustrating....

Bart