Thread: Rear Speakers

Rear Speakers

I am getting ready to do the rear speaker replacement. Existing speakers are blown. Not looking foward to removing the panel to get to the speakers.
    I want to purchase the speakers first.
    For those of you that have replaced the rear speakers, could you give me some ideas of what speakers to use and what size will fit.
    I know the existing speakers are 4 inch. I want to do a mod to fit bigger speakers. I only want to do this once, so I will purchase good quality speakers.
    Thanks for your help.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

rear.

With some modification to the speaker housing I was able to fit 5.5's back there. you might be able to go larger if the mounting depth of the speaker isn't too deep.

Note: Be careful with your panel clips. Save them. Take note of what clips go where... (I think there's a few (2) variations behind there). After taking mine off I've never been able to get them back quite the same way (causing some panel squeaks/rattles, etc.)

Best of luck!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

OMG WHEN I GOT MY VX THE PANELS WERE HALF *** PUT ON AND THE SPEAKERS WERE POOPED OUT SO I DECIDED TO REMOVE THE PANELS AND REPLACE THE SPEAKERS WHICH IN FACT WERE 6 1/2 PYLE DRIVERS,SO WHEN I GOT THE PANELS OFF I SEEN ALL THE BUTTON CLIPS AND SAID O HELL NO THESE ARE NOT GOING BACK ON THE RIGHT WAY THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO SO I SCRATCHED PUTTING NEW SPEAKERS IN CAUSE I NEW IF THEY POOPED OUT I SURE THE HELL WAS NOT GOING TO DO ANOTHER PANEL REMOVE AND REPLACE AND BOY DID I MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION CAUSE THOSE PANELS ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY IMPOSIBLE TO GIT BACK ON I HAD TO BUY MORE BUTTON CLIPS WHICH I FOUND SOME REALY COOL SNAP DEALS WITH THIS FOAM WASHER LIKE THING THAT PREVENTS RATTLE NOISES AND STUFF LOL I SAID STUFF, YEAH I NEVER DID GET EVERY BUTTON CLIPPED INTO PLACE BUT I WAS SMART ENOUGH TO RUN WIRE FROM THE EXISTING WIRE FROM BEHIND THE PANELS AND I JUST BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE THREEWAY SPEAKER BOXES AND SAT IT FACING FRONT IN FRONT OF MY 12 INCH FOSGATES AND IT WORKS GREAT.A PIECE OF ADVICE
    DONT REMOVE YOUR PANELS UNLESS YOU GOT ALL DAY AND PATIENTS AND NERVES OF STEAL CAUSE I WAS ABOUT TO DRIVE MY VX INTO A TREE AFTER 5 HOURS A F@#$%&* WITH IT.

haha willy.. i hear ya...

i fit some rockford fosgate 6-1/2's (shallow mount for door applications) back there without too much trouble... LOVE the way they sound, although unless you put something bigger in the front too they might overpower the stock front speakers..... i wrote a how-to on how i did mine (dont know if you read that or not), when putting the rear panels back on.. id recommend having at least 2-3 hours before you need to drive the VX.. because if you rush theres no way you will ever get the panel back on

also upon removing the rear panels again for dynamatting, i think its probably easier to remove both rear panels, so ill be updating that how-to to include removing the rearmost panel

kind of on this subject.. anyone know the part number/size of the clips needed in those panels? i broke a couple in my frustration after dynamatting

I didn't think the panel R&R was that bad. There were a few tricky spots though, like the seat belt mounts. Then again, when I did mine, I had three full days to completely strip the interior, dampen, and put it back together. I think the key here is taking your time to do it carefully and correctly.

As for speakers in the rear, personally, I don't think you need them unless you frequently have passengers in the back seat. You'd be surprised how good you can make a set of components in the front and a sub or two sound, even on a tight budget.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    mark b....(my opinion)
    i have quite a loud sound system in my VX (running about 1500watts RMS to the sub)
    i have stock speakers and my sub will distort before my speakers will...in my opinion if you put in a GOOD 4-channel amp the stock clarion speakers sound great and wont distort...
    honestly i can crank mine up to be heard from a couple blocks away and the speakers wont distort for anything...they are actually pretty solid =)
    if your going for a different sound than stock then change the speakers, but its a consideration for you because it will cause your sound quality and volume to go up...

i still have my rear speakers that i pulled, they sounded good when i pulled them out.. i cant fit them back in anyway since i cut out holes bigger than the frame of the speaker, if you want them make me an offer

What speakers?

Hi all,
    I just had the rear side panels out of my VX ('cause I didn't know how else to get the carpeting out for a thorough cleaning) and I was surprised to see a rather nice (however small) set of BostonAcoustic 2way speakers in there..... Are these the stock speakers?
    "Never attribute to malice, that which
    can be explaned as stupidity".....

stock speakers are clairon, but the only way to tell that is by looking at the underside of them, only the magnet has the name

the one on the right is the stock obviously

i read that the ironmans came with sony xplodes, but ive looked inside two ironmans, and looked like they were just the clairions like i found in mine
    Last edited by etlsport : 11/16/2006 at 05:42 AM

Ahhh.... I see. My speakers are definately not the same as that one. Thank you for the picture. Truly worth a thousand words!

you are lucky! i think i remember reading on the forum somewhere that the boston acoustics are some of the best 4" speakers you can put back there.. although i cant complain too much as my front doors were already modified to fit 6-1/2's so that saved me some time

That's good to know! I guess that means that the BA's in my doors were custom fit as well. ( I was pretty sure they were, because the way the crossovers are mounted is, well.... interesting. but functional! ) They sound really good too, by the way... At least in my opinion. (I know that stereo componentry can be a heated topic for discussion!)
    Thanks again!
    Grimm

mark,
    i just remembered too that www.overstock.com had some 4" MTX 2 ways for sale not too long ago, might still be there, ive never owned MTX audio personally.. but have heard good things about them and my friends got a set of MTX 12" subs that sound awesome

if you wanted to preserve your rear speaker mounts that could be a pretty good option