Thread: Door Locks

Door Locks

Help! I'm having a problem with my door lock not wanting to unlock. It sounds like the gears are stripped. Has anyone replaced this and how hard is it. Kinda leary about taking off the door panel, how easy is that? Don't really want to mess it up and have a permanent rattle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

removing the door panel is very straightforward, i think its 4 screws and maybe 8 pull out fastners, if you look at rowhard's how-to on replacing the exterior door handle, he gives a great description on removal of the door panel, there was another recent thread about a window fix that talked about it too, just do a search

I havent looked inside the vx door panel so I cant swear to it, but on most cars if you can hear the lock/unlock motor engaging its fine. Most cars dont have "gears" in the lock/unlock motors they are a simple plunger type motor. Chances are, one of the plastic clips that hold the metal rod has broken or popped off.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Nope...there are gears in there...they are plastic...and they break/strip....I know this first hand. However the rods have frail plastic cap/ball hinges that can also break.
    Oh yea...the panel is pretty easy to take off...there is several write ups that tell how as stated above. The motor is a simple plug and two screws. The ball hinges are the hard part not to break. Mine broke...I rigged it but it has since brokem again. Some day I'll get around to finding something to replace them with in a u-pull-it place.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Hey Triathlete or anyone else that knows. The part that you said is stripped is that the actuator or do you know what the actual part is? Do I have to order this through the dealer? Thanks!

It is the actuator motor. It is the electric motor that moves the rods up and down. I got mine from someone on the board that was parting out a VX a while back. You can try the used route or check with Merlin at St Charles Isuzu. I paid 20 for my used one. I don't know what a new one goes for.