Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recaro Child Seat

Recaro Child Seat

Here in front of me is a Recaro Young Sport child seat.

http://www.fatcomfort.com/images/rec...ySport_big.jpg

I just went out to pop it in the VX and a few questions arose. I haven't busted out the manual yet, but I figured a post would enable any of you who have installed child seats in the VX to offer advice/tips.

There are no lap belts or child seat anchors. It looks like there are bolts in the floor for lap belts, but WTF?

I tend to be over protective, so I figure I have two choices: A proper and safe installation or I could roll the little one in bubble wrap, dip her in expandable insulation foam, paint the VX Hunter Orange and mount a gun turret to the roof rack.

Any advice or tips from those of you who have installed child seats?

Bim

If you are talking about the rear seats there are lap belts. Yours must have been removed at some time.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Hmmmm...

No rear lap belts here. Time to do some research.

Thanks.

the seatbelts in the rear are one peice, they come down from over the rear window then anchor to the floor w/ the bolts indicated on the pic (bolts 1 and 4)

mine also has child seat anchors in the rear cargo area, if yours doesnt have them ill gladly send em to you, just send me a pm or email

Last edited by etlsport : 10/30/2006 at 11:07 AM Reason: add pic

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

congrats?

I guess this means you're expecting?

-beeej.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Quote Originally Posted by biju
    I guess this means you're expecting?

-beeej.
    Nope. Just trying to pick up chicks.

OK, really the little one is 2 yrs old and up until now I have always borrowed Mommy's car seat.

I'm thinkin of maybe entering rallies with the youngest navigator ever, so I finally broke down and got the Recaro.

Something is funky with my rear belts. They hang from the ceiling and when fully extended, they barely reach the belt clips in the center of the rear seat. There's no way they could reach the floor and then go across. Maybe someone switched them out for shorter belts and just wanted shoulder straps. Either way, there's no hardware for the floor bolts. Just naked straps hanging from the ceiling.

I think I might have to be replacing both rear belts...more research.

Thanks for the input, people.

Bim

Etlsport,

PM'd you but got kicked offline....hope it got there.

Paraphrase: You da man. I found a solution for the child anchor. Thanks for your offer and pic. I think the anchor issue is solved/covered. Still have belt issues.

Thanks,

Bim

didnt get the PM, but no problem, if you decide you do want the child seat anchors just let me know.. theyre sitting in a little baggie in my big box of stuff removed from the vx (its getting to be a big box!) ill also be tearing into the back of the VX this weekend to dynamat the wheel wells and install tones popper kit, so if you need any more photos of somethin specific let me know and ill see what i can shoot

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Daddy Bim,

After seein' how schwank that seat is, I thought I'd let you know...I'm available for adoption.
    I have all my shots & lots of interesting bad habits.
    Last edited by Ldub : 10/31/2006 at 04:30 AM

hey bim,
    let me know, i could probably get you some orig. belts, and floor pieces......ive never looked at them, but ive seen the tag on the carpeting. let me know
    david

Thanks, Indiana. I'll let you know what happens.

Ldub: Sorry, man....shots don't cure that accent. Yoou betcha, eh. You are always welcome to ride shotgun in the "big boy" Recaro though.

Happy Holloween!!!!!!!!!!

Bim

Your rear seats should have the usual one-piece shoulder and lap belt. I believe one end attaches near the rear, behind the panels, it comes up in front of the side glass and hooks into a bolt near the roof where the winding mechanism hangs. Then it routes across the passenger to the center where it clicks in, and the other end routes across the passenger lap to a bolt in the floor. That's from memory so don't quote me.

I don't believe those anchor points in the rear were designed for attaching a car seat. If you want to use them for that purpose, or just for extra safety, I would suggest upgrading to grade 8 or better hardware. However, we do not have a mounting loop in the front, so you still cannot use the standard "LATCH" type attachment.

The correct way to attach a car seat in the VX is by using the full shoulder strap, leveling the seat correctly, and installing a metal clip to prevent the belt from slipping.

I also highly recommend buying Tone's 4.5" passenger seat extenders for ease of ingress and egress!

Sweet recaro kid seat, BTW! How much did that set you back?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    I don't believe those anchor points in the rear were designed for attaching a car seat. If you want to use them for that purpose, or just for extra safety, I would suggest upgrading to grade 8 or better hardware. However, we do not have a mounting loop in the front, so you still cannot use the standard "LATCH" type attachment.
    i wasnt talking about the cargo tie downs, in my VX there are two cutouts in the carpet with pictures of child seats attached to a nautical anchor then under that two fairly hefty chunks of metal with holes in them bolted down w/ 12mm bolts

Yeah, there's a page in the manual that pictures the "optional child seat anchors avaliable from you Isuzu dealer." It's a simple metal clip that bolts to the floor, as you say, Etl. So the Anchor issue is solved....

I just popped by a guys house to check his Ironman rear belts, and they don't even look close to what I have. So, I think the problem is that I don't have the proper rear belts at all.

kpaske...good call on the extenders. I'll look into those.

Bim

Interesting. I do recall hearing about some optional brackets but I didn't know they were LATCH brackets. What do you use for the rear mounting point? Oh, and if anyone knows, do they mount in the '99 or did they come out in '00?

I could actually use a set of these if someone has some that they won't use. ETLSport, do you still have extras?