Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: carpeting

carpeting

I finally got around to building my subwoofer box, turned out well, all i have left to do is carpet it, never carpeted a box before, so i figured id check in with the DIY experts here and see what hints i could pick up.. so far my supplies include

subwoofer box
    carpet
    headliner spray adhesive
    utility knife
    rolling pin

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    all i used was:
    utility knife
    sawhorses
    spray glue
    roller

mine isnt exactly expert but no one can tell without looking at the side that i would have to take it apart to tell...basically just start on your biggest side and start wrapping like a christmas present...worked fine for me =)

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Hint #1

Here's my only 'hint/advice':

Try not to cut off your finger:

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

i used rubber cement on mine cause teh spray stuff sometimes crystalizes and ur carpet ends up bubbling or falling off.....

Dip that finger into some ketchup....

pb, thanks that was my biggest question.. whether it was easier to measure cut then stick or to stick then cut

mz, good to know.. if i run into those problems ill know what to do next..

biju... oww.. but at least you have/will have a cool scar... ive got too many as it is... so ill heed your advice

Arrow

all done! i like.. put now i want to but a big ol diamond plate VX logo on the door to the storage compartment.. we'll see heres some pics of it in the house.. maybe.. just maybe ill put it in the vx soon and get pics of that up too if work lets me get home before its dark... people dont really need hvac, plumbing or fire suppression systems do they??

Looks GREAT! I hope you used spray on adhesive and NOT rubber cement. The secret to the spray on is to coat both surfaces and let is dry according to the directions on the can, THEN stick it.

i used spray adhesive, sprayed the box then the carpet, let both sides get tacky then stuck it together, originally was using a rolling pin, but that wouldnt get down to the bottom corners, so i started using a can of Beefaroni... that worked beautifully.. AND i got to eat it when i was done (the beefaroni.. not the sub box)

looks great

tone: i duno how u do it....but everytime i use the spray stuff it crystalizes after a year or 2. then it falls off, or bubbles.

Gotta use the RIGHT spray adhesive - either 3M Spray 90 or Permatex Body Shop HD Adhesive #27828 are what we use at the shop. Spray 77 will not handle the heat inside the car. I would not have thought rubber cement would do it.

And actually, when doing a box, glue is typically not needed if stretched and stapled correctly but whatever you did looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    And actually, when doing a box, glue is typically not needed if stretched and stapled correctly but whatever you did looks great.
    Yeah, that's what I think. When I did mine I sprayed the adhesive on the carpet, waited a few minutes, then stretched it out, stuck it on, and stapled. Haven't had any issues in over 3 years.

So where is the box going to sit? It looks like you could put it behind the rear seats OR right behind the front seats. I'm thinking about building an raised floor / amp rack for the latter spot.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

the original plan was to build the floor like you were talking about right behind the front seats, after looking closer, i realized the floor isnt even there, there is a random hump behind the drivers seat, and i also want my passenger side seat to be able to recline during road trips and hauling anything over 4 ft.... and it wouldnt with the false floor there, so its going to sit where the back seats used to, the box is small enough that it will leave me about 3 ft of cargo room behind it still, then create a smaller storage area in the footwell for the back seats.. im getting impatient so chances are ill be putting it in here in a couple of minutes, so ill take some photos

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    pics in the VX! can't wait!

-biju

i did it i did it! they are night pics and its not actually secured down yet (will use the stock cargo hooks to mount to).. but you get the idea.. it fits!

btw, i stapeled a small strip on the bottom, then sprayed the side of the box and the carpet, let them get tacky, stretched it over, rolled it, then moved to the top, then the other side, then stapeled a small strip on the bottom again (bottom isnt carpeted so i can fab the mounts to sit on the cargo hooks), made for nice tight carpet and no staples visible, the only other place there are staples is along the inside edge of the storage compartment because its a really tight fit (to prevent rattling) and dont want the carpet pulling up or down
    Last edited by etlsport : 10/26/2006 at 07:11 PM